Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Stephen Fry: "only humans are homophobic"

stephen fry homophobic gay out4marriage

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Stephen Fry has denounced critics of same sex marriages claiming there are 260 animal species that have gay tendencies but only humans are homophobic.

The author, actor and presenter also accused the Church of England of caving in to “screeching” extremists who he claims have spread lies about gay marriage.

Fry, who is gay, spoke out in a new video, for the Out4Marriage campaign, which has persuaded a string of celebrities and politicians to back its calls for reform.

During a three minute monologue, he says gay people “used to be regarded as villains because we were so bohemian and outrageous and we eschewed family values, but we’re not.

"We’re human beings like everybody else and we believe first and foremost in love.

http://www.telegraph...homophobic.html

Posted Image

#2    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I think he makes valid points and yet again as he mentioned extremism in the Church always seems to rear it's ugly head.

Top guy and a national treasure regardless of his sexuality...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#3    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I would agree with him that only humans are Homophobic. He is right that there are some animals that do have some same sex behaviors however I do not believe it is for the same reasons that Humans do. In the animal world it is a dominance thing you cannot really compare the two because they are not really the same. The reasons behind the behaviors are very different.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#4    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,836 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostGrey14, on 05 October 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I would agree with him that only humans are Homophobic. He is right that there are some animals that do have some same sex behaviors however I do not believe it is for the same reasons that Humans do. In the animal world it is a dominance thing you cannot really compare the two because they are not really the same. The reasons behind the behaviors are very different.

It's not always about dominance in the animal world. Many types of birds engage in life long homosexual relationships, many dolphins engage in homosexual behavior for pleasure, and some ducks engage in homosexual necrophilia.
There are many other thousands of instances of animals other than humans engaging in homosexuality that are not acts of dominance.

You can easily compare the two because humans are also animals and also have sex, homo or hetero, for many different reasons.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 05 October 2012 - 03:56 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#5    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Just to be the devils advocate, has anyone ever tried to have gay sex with a bear? Just to see if he minds? Its not like you can ask any animals....

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#6    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,836 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 05 October 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

Just to be the devils advocate, has anyone ever tried to have gay sex with a bear? Just to see if he minds? Its not like you can ask any animals....

I wouldn't mess with bears, man. They're into all kinds of freaky stuff like knife play, bsdm, and violent role playing.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#7    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 05 October 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

I dont know The bear doesnt seem to mind here.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#8    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Lol I saw that movie!

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,836 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Posted Image

#10    Alantheanylyst

Alantheanylyst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 05 October 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

It's not always about dominance in the animal world. Many types of birds engage in life long homosexual relationships, many dolphins engage in homosexual behavior for pleasure, and some ducks engage in homosexual necrophilia.
There are many other thousands of instances of animals other than humans engaging in homosexuality that are not acts of dominance.

You can easily compare the two because humans are also animals and also have sex, homo or hetero, for many different reasons.
That would lend to the metaphorical use of dead as a duck or he's a  dead duck . :clap:

#11    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

http://rainbowallian...m/science3.html

Apparently Birds can be Gay..

Probably a bit of fun Though..

Edited by shaddow134, 05 October 2012 - 05:31 PM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#12    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

I don't know, I have on occasion heard a few homophobic dogs bark abuse at some gay dogs...made them cry and everything  lol

Stephen Fry is correct..It is only humans and to add, a natural state of mind for so many humans to be homophobic...

If a religion was not against it, homophobia would still very much exist.. The only difference would be is no sod can use a bible to excuse their homophobia

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 05 October 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Fry, who is gay

Well blow me over, I never knew that... I always knew he was highly educated and funny, filled with talent..  Love  his skits with  Hugh Laurie ( the wacky doctor from House )... but I had no idea he was gay...he never struck me as gay...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#14    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

It is a silly and usless comment. Of course humans are the only animals who are homophobic. They are the only animals capable of creating this linguistic /symbolic construct and applying it.

We are the only beings capable of thinking this way and thus being homophobic.

That doesnt mean anything when compared with animal behaviour. Animals kill their rival's young to ensure the dominance of their own gene pool, dont ask permission for sex ,and eat their dead etc To arge that same sex behaviour in non sapient animals is a justification for same sex behaiour in sapient self aware animals is just dumb. Ohter animlas do a whole heap of things which would put a human being in gaol for example like killing their own species, or having sex without consent.

And heres a completely different and light hearted look at it.

Just because some bears engage in same sex sex, doesn't mean  all other bears  approve of it, think it natural, or or don't think that those who do indulge in it are damned to bear hell for eternity.

A philosphical bear might say, "Well its not to my taste but  go for it." OR "Such behaviour reduces the fertility levels of our species, which is already in decline and endagered,  and detracts from the cohesive unit which is bear family, so i do not approve of it, and i would hate my cute little cub Benjamin to be a gay bear"

Iv'e never really been able to see any credibilty in arguing that just because anything is observable in animal behaviour, it is a good or accepatable  model for human behaviour. Cancer is natural  and amny animals die from cancer   Does that make it something we should  accept as humans.

Infertility is natural, and many animals are naturally infertile. Should we just accept it in our own lives, because it exists in nature?

Edited by Mr Walker, 06 October 2012 - 03:33 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#15    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 05 October 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Just to be pedantic. No other animal can engage in homo sexual beahviour, in that homo means man.  Other animals engage in same sex sex,  not homosexuality. If they did, that would be beastiality from our perspective.

All animals (with a few exceptions) are driven by a strong sexual urge which causes some strange behaviors, like our desexed lab humping my wife's knee, a blanket, and anything else which takes his interest. He doesn't have an attraction to them perse, just a driving need to hump something. Perhaps his lack of opposable thumb and manual dexterity, leads him to these measures.
I would find any human who modelled this "natural" behaviour, just a tad offputting/disturbing, I must admit.

Edited by Mr Walker, 06 October 2012 - 03:44 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users