Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What causes Gravity?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Guest_Guest_Dr.Brain_*

Guest_Guest_Dr.Brain_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:56 AM

Hey u all...

just thinkin'....what causes Gravity?                                                

#2    j6p

j6p

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 03:08 AM

I would guess, mass warping space                                                      

#3    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 04:36 AM

i would say that it has something to do with the acceleration of the earth and also its mass smile.gif

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 February 2003 - 09:16 AM

I think that just about sums it up.                                                

#5    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (j6p @ Feb 5 2003, 10:08 PM)

Mass warping space is gravity, but what causes space to be warped by mass? How does a body of mass warp space to create gravity? I have no idea myself.                                                

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#6    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 03:11 PM

f=ma                                                

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
at what time i might,

- me, 1997

#7    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 03:49 PM

How does F=ma have anything to do with it?                                                

#8    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 06 February 2003 - 04:07 PM

I have no idea what causes gravity.But Hey Dr Brain wavey.gif nice to hear from you again, I'v missed your entertaining posts. wink.gif                                                

#9    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 February 2003 - 05:01 PM

i would say that it has something to do with the acceleration of the earth and also its mass

Dschwartz,

I'd have to disagree with the idea that gravity is caused by the acceleration of the earth - it's the mass of the earth itself that warps space.

I'd also have to agree with Homer in that f=ma is of little relevance here, it certainly doesn't help explain what causes gravity.                                                

#10    kermit

kermit

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:31 PM

Is gravity immediate or does it have a speed? And if it has a speed, how fast is it? How could it be measured? hmmm so many questions hehehe tongue.gif                                                

Malc

- This post was made by horribly abusing millions of electrons -
Telly Chat - Television in the UK

#11    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 01:19 AM

Maybe SaRuMaN may know the latest. There was a recent report that stated gravity was measured at the speed of light. Then, just a few days later, another report said the first report was wrong. I believe it's inconclusive at this time. Obviously, if gravity is not immediate, then it has speed. Does anyone else know if it has been determined one way or another yet?

#12    j6p

j6p

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 03:52 AM

I think they are trying to measure the speed of something that isn't able to be measured. I would compare it to trying to measure the speed of a 7.
I have a bet with a friend that they will never find the "graviton" because there isn't a such thing. I hope I don't loose, mooning is so undignified.                                                  

#13    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:28 AM

Thats a strange bet jp6,
So are you suggesting that gravity has no speed, or just that it has speed but it can't be measured? If you're saying it has no speed, than are you also saying that gravity is immediate?                                                

#14    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 07:51 AM

I know this is definately not my area of expertease (like spelling  biggrin.gif ) but didn't we have a News Diacoveries thread earlier that sugested that the Earths gravity was affected by all the planets in our solar system . Wouldn't this make it very difficult to measure the speed of gravity as it would be constantly changing?                                                

#15    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 02:46 PM

well, explain how they create artificial gravity in space by rotating the ship then...

f=ma

that is gravity.  the earth's gravity is a constant 9.81m/s squared because the earth has a constant speed of rotation and a constant mass of some number im too lazy to look up or calculate.

mass cannot warp space, if that were so, we would warp the space around our bodies and have a gravity of our own.  the earth's mass is huge, but its the rotation of that mass(and possibly the rotating parts of it... crust and mantle around the core) that creates our gravity.                                                  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
at what time i might,

- me, 1997

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users