Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How squirrels save for hard times, explored

squirrels

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,466 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Humans could learn something about padding their nest eggs from squirrels, claim a team of U.S. researchers who say the animals have an innate knack for long-term savings strategies.

Psychologists from the University of California, Berkeley are gathering evidence to show the fox squirrels scampering around campus have a sound investment plan behind their nut gathering.

'Think of them as little bankers depositing money and spreading it out in different funds, and doing some management of those funds,' said Mikel Delgado, a doctoral student in psychology.

http://www.dailymail...hard-times.html

Posted Image

#2    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Very interesting....must resist urge to make vulgar joke  resist  resist

What could possibly go wrong?

#3    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I love squirrels :wub:

#4    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Yes it's a good idea that they do prepare but squirrels and other critters will sometimes forget where
they store some of there cashes. I have squirrels living in a big maple tree in my yard and I have a walnut
tree growing out of a bush where the little critter buried it and forgot about. :yes:

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,213 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

One of my squirrels left a nut and took a tomato.  If they didn't eat it within a few days and they buried it for later they are going to be disappointed when they dig it up and its decayed away.

I also rely on them to pick up the pears that have fallen off the tree.  They never let me down and they even relieve the tree of the ones left on it.

Also tagged with squirrels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users