Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sucking CO2 from the skies

environment

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks

an invisible dream

• 2,956 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Scientists are looking at ways to lower the global temperature by removing greenhouse gases from the air. Could super-absorbent fake leaves be the answer?

It may be a colourless, odourless and completely natural gas, but carbon dioxide is beginning to cause us a lot of problems. It only makes up a tiny fraction of the atmosphere (0.04% of all the gas by volume – or 395 parts per million) but it has a huge effect on the Earth’s temperature. That's because unlike nitrogen or oxygen, carbon dioxide molecules absorb the Sun's heat rays even though they let light rays pass through, like a greenhouse.
Scientists are looking at ways to modulate the global temperature by removing some of this greenhouse gas from the air. If it works, it would be one of the few ways of geoengineering the planet with multiple benefits, beyond simply cooling the atmosphere.
Every time we breathe out, we emit carbon dioxide just like all other metabolic life forms. Meanwhile, photosynthetic organisms like plants and algae take in carbon dioxide and emit oxygen. This balance has kept the planet at a comfortably warm average temperature of 14C (57F), compared with a chilly -18C (0F) if there were no carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
read more...
http://www.bbc.com/f...clean-the-skies

Attached Files

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,228 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

Too many people and too few trees has upset the balance and its getting worse.

Hope they can do something.

#3    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,227 posts

• ראה

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

Terraforming the earth is the saddest commentary imagineable.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#4    dezavala

dezavala

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Maybe more chemtrails will help

#5    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,410 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

Nature already has a solution. They're called trees..

Also tagged with environment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users