Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Wear radio chip or leave, school students

students must wear radio chip

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    Winter Summer

Winter Summer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 194 posts

• You're not where you left yourself.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostKarlis, on 07 October 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

"Assuming" that the technology was not misused, would not the benefits outweigh the negatives?

No.

The assumption that this technology will not be misused goes beyond fantasy.

Edited by Winter Summer, 07 October 2012 - 01:34 AM.

Silence often says much more
Than trying to say what's been said before.

#17    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,953 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostWinter Summer, on 07 October 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

No.

The assumption that this technology will not be misused goes beyond fantasy.
I agree completely.  These days info techs use data sets to experiment with and to fine tune calculations and make predictions on everything.  To imagine them passing up such an opportunity (short of it being illegal) is unimaginable to me.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#18    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

Not that I'm arguing against your views, Winter Summer, and then -- I hold exactly those same thoughts as you do,as far as reality is concerned. That said; you folks have not addressed my hypothetical question, which was:

"Assuming" that the technology was not misused, would not the benefits outweigh the negatives?

Edited by Karlis, 07 October 2012 - 01:56 PM.
Added the qualification, "hypothetical", to my post

#19    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

No it would not. They do not need - nor do they have a right - to know what we are doing at every moment of every day.

#20    Winter Summer

Winter Summer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 194 posts

• You're not where you left yourself.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

My answer would still be no.

Entrance and hall monitoring cams do the job just fine.  They watch students and visitors.  No perv would snatch a kid from school if it was known all schools use cams.  That was your main proposed benefit, right?

On the other hand, chips follow one's every movement whether at school or not.  Total privacy bust.  It also indoctrinates kids early on that this complete invasion of privacy is okay ~ easy to accept more of same as it's introduced.

Besides, if in danger, most everyone has a cellphone and can call 911 with an index finger quickly.  A chip can't do that.

Silence often says much more
Than trying to say what's been said before.

#21    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostKarlis, on 07 October 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

If "wearing" a GPS chip is to be compulsory, why not an implant, injected just under the skin?

An example of a benefit would be, for example; a kidnapped child or adult location would be instantly available. Crime in general should diminish, if a suspect knew that they would be located immediately.

The problem with this is that kidnappers would just cut the thing out at the first chance they had, possibly with great injury, and of course no doctor would be seen.

I have a feeling that many people would cut them out themselves (myself included), and that there would be an underground market for removing these chips, just like back alley abortions.

This is an issue I would fight with all I had!

Edited by Euphorbia, 07 October 2012 - 02:49 PM.

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#22    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,272 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 07 October 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Ha ha , I would get one then chuck it onto  a long distance lorry,and then say that my Uncle brought me to school in his rig,and it must of dropped off my jacket.So they give you another, well put it on the New York subway...going round and round.

That or go ahead and wear it, but pass a very powerful magnet over it for about an hour... That should totally scramble the electronics and render it useless...  They see you're still wearing it... but won't know it's useless until they try to track you... keep frying them and just shrug your shoulders when they ask you why it's not working...

I do think that parents should have the ability to CHOOSE to have a device similar to this for their children, that they control - in case the child gets lost or worse...  BUT NOT A SCHOOL!  Stick to teaching... or rather - GO BACK to teaching... You use to do that, I'm sure if you really try you could figure out how to do it again...

Edited by Taun, 07 October 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#23    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,442 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

This is completely wrong. Aren't there already enough issues with teachers and staff and students Facebook pages. There is nothing positive to be gained here. If a kid is to be tracked and monitored it should be a parents choice and under the parents control.

Posted Image

#24    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

The students should all get together after the cards are issued, mix them up and randomly pull them out for redistribution.  Maybe drop them in taxis, buses, subway cars, etc...  Pull the chip itself out, seal in a plastic bag, and flush down a toilet...  Tie them to balloons and let them float away...  throw them up on a roof at the school, or bury them in various places around the grounds like Easter Eggs...

:P

Oh I dunno, something to mess with them.

#25    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

If anyone told me to wear something that would broadcast a signal at all times, I'd tell them to profanely stick their head up their butt.

What a loss for liberty, indeed.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#26    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,209 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

I cannot think of one positive thing to say about this. And punishing for not conforming... ouch. Have all the kids say no and when there are no kids left in school then the funding is killed and so is the school. Just say no is what I was raised on when in a situation when pressured to do something I knew wasn't right. The school system should be ashamed of themselves es for jeopardizing the fate of the school itself with this monstrous ideal.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#27    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,049 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

I would just try to find out where the chip was located and snip it out of my card if they kept saying I had to have the card specifically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users