Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Sun + CO2 = fuel!

fuel using photosynthesis

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

The dream is closer to becoming a reality than you may think.

When exposed to light and carbon dioxide (CO2), a genetically modified bacteria can produce liquid fuel, namely ethanol. In a not-so-distant future, it will even be able to produce diesel. A first experimental site and plant already exist in the U.S., and commercial production will likely begin in 2014 ... at around 32 cents per litre!
Source

#2    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

WOW if this is real...WOW!

What could possibly go wrong?

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,293 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

And, as it's a synthetic bacteria, it can be copyrighted and thus keep profits under the roof of the oil companies.
Something like that means it's more likely to take off and not have the media machine of the companies trying to destroy it (ie wind farms).

Edited by Wearer of Hats, 07 October 2012 - 01:05 AM.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,731 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

I think the copy write should have an expiration date.  They should be the only ones that can produce it for a while because of cost of the research that went into it.  They better make sure this bacteria won't end up hurting us.

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,293 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

all copyrights do, I suspect that by the time the copyright expires they'll have developed something new to copyright.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

..let's develop a synthetic form of fuel.
..let's keep the same power structure in place.
yes we can.

giving them endless fuel is like giving them an endless printing press to make money.... oh, wait...

by the time the copyright expires they'll have developed something new to copyright.
this is exactly what i'm talking about...

Edited by unit, 07 October 2012 - 03:50 AM.

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,420 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Cool. A help to stop Global Climate Change, and a way to provide fuel to keep the economy of the world running right along.

Too bad DARPA or some other FedGov agency does not have this. We could hand it over to the various greater developing nations and gain a lot of political credit while also helping fuel needs in those countries.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,350 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

yawn... this thingy ran through the news since 1950 or so, lets wait and see if this time they did their calculation right.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users