Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How "Ancient Aliens" have lied to you

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#121    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,524 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Postbee, on 09 October 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

You say...MOST...of his evidence in his original books...but all the stuff in your link wouldn't make up enough for one book, I'd have

thought. Are you exaggerating? To mould it to fit your 'theory'....?

So EVD wasn't perfect.....I shouldn't lose any sleep over it if I were you.

and from your first link....

something obviously struck a chord with the public....and they LOVED it.... :yes:

the article says that popularity waned in the 80s....but you can't maintain a high level of interest indefinately...

Yeah, everybody loves a good BS story, until they realize they're paying for it.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#122    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,308 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 09 October 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Yeah, everybody loves a good BS story, until they realize they're paying for it.

cormac

did anyone ever ask for their money back ?..... :D

#123    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,524 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

View Postbee, on 09 October 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

did anyone ever ask for their money back ?..... :D

Paying for a work of fiction still doesn't make it a fact.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#124    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,308 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 09 October 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Thanks, it was fun creating it.  :D

:tu:

Out of curiousity, which points raised in the portion you watched did you disagree with?

To be honest I don't have enough interest in that video to go back and isolate anything in particular...

I just had the feeling of not being overly impressed with it.....(the 30 minutes I watched)

There's usually a counter-arguement to any arguement, but the whole thing takes up a lot of time...especially when a lot

of it is speculation about circumstancial evidence.

#125    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

View Postbee, on 09 October 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

To be honest I don't have enough interest in that video to go back and isolate anything in particular...

I just had the feeling of not being overly impressed with it.....(the 30 minutes I watched)

There's usually a counter-arguement to any arguement, but the whole thing takes up a lot of time...especially when a lot

of it is speculation about circumstancial evidence.

So basically you just aren't interested in it.  It isn't that you have any valid complaints regarding the information presented, just that it bores you.

No problem.

#126    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

View Postbee, on 09 October 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

:tu:

Nothing like being objective is there?

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#127    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,523 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

View Postbee, on 09 October 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

I don't know if I can be bothered to watch the OP video (it's very long)...but when I saw it was by Chris White I remembered that I had read about him

somewhere and that he was some kind of evangelical christian.  Evidence is evidence and it is the interpretation of

evidence that varies. According to motive...?

Well Chris White is a very busy bee :)......debunking this that and the other...lol....and running his ministries...

this is his YouTube channel...

http://www.youtube.c...wwheretorun1984

the OP video is part of the Chris White Ministries....

http://chriswhitemin...com/?page_id=27

[b]

mmmmmmmmm :unsure:

This post could be addressed to both Bee (nice to see you again) and Bionic Bigfoot.

Practicing an organized religion and believing in aliens are not the same thing. It's quite disingenuous to try to pass them off as the same. Religion is a matter of faith and aliens, in an ideal world, are a matter of science. Faith cannot be proved or disproved with evidence, so one cannot view it as a scientific foundation. Aliens, on the other hand, can be proved or disproved based on extant evidence—they would leave a tangible footprint in innumerable ways.

Note in the start of the video where White admits he used to be a big believer in ancient aliens (the concept, not the idiotic TV show). He also admits he leaves room open for the possibility of extraterrestrial life, as do most people. As do I. I flatly do not buy into the ancient-alien hogwash, but I cannot deny the possibility that life exists elsewhere in the cosmos. I don't think any rational person can. The question is, what's meant by "life"? Is it microbial or sentient? This is the sort of thing science can answer, and to date science has not been able to answer it definitively. Whether ancient aliens visited Earth and influenced or affected human kind is also a question science can answer, as well as "softer" sciences like archaeology and paleoanthropology. Here again, there is no evidence at all for ancient alien visitors.

White takes issue specifically with the idiotic program Ancient Aliens. He states that every point made by von Däniken and the other addled talking heads is incorrect. As bold as this statement is, I am in full agreement. I've never heard any of the talking heads on the program make a point about ancient aliens that could survive even the basic scrutiny of a scientific or historical peer-review environment.

I personally think, Bee, that you're too hung up on White's religious faith. He has in fact stepped back from his old views that ancient aliens existed to critique the points made by the talking heads on Ancient Aliens. This has nothing to do with his religious beliefs but everything to do with his ability to evaluate the situation impartially and based on real-world, professionally reviewed scientific and historical evidence.

By the way, I'm sure you're familiar with the fact that the Roman Catholic Church has officially acknowledged the possibility of extraterrestrial life. Again, how one defines "life" can vary, but the point has been made. And the Catholic Church also employs some of the finest scientists and historians in the world.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#128    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

What just happened??????  :huh:

One minute we were talking about a television show and now i have some Aliens attending my church service. :innocent: :alien:
And why on earth is some skateboarder doing Ancient Alien religious videos???

#129    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,308 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 09 October 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

Note in the start of the video where White admits he used to be a big believer in ancient aliens (the concept, not the idiotic TV show). He also admits he leaves room open for the possibility of extraterrestrial life, as do most people.

Hello kmt_sesh.....in reality we have no idea if White is being honest about once being a believer in ancient aliens...

The psychology behind it would be...'I'm like you...I once believed.... but now I know better...'

Like a softener before going in with the big guns.....lol

@Capt Amerika.... :D

#130    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

View Postbee, on 10 October 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Hello kmt_sesh.....in reality we have no idea if White is being honest about once being a believer in ancient aliens...

The psychology behind it would be...'I'm like you...I once believed.... but now I know better...'

Or like many of the ex-Mormons

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#131    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,523 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postbee, on 10 October 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

But why would he lie about such a thing? I don't understand the gain. The last thing I'd want to admit is that I once believed in ancient aliens, even if I no longer do.

There are quite a few people at UM who fit the same description: they once believed but now know better. All it takes is a bit of study and research and—presto!—the whole farce about ancient aliens crumbles.

Just sayin'.

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#132    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,280 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 10 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

There are quite a few people at UM who fit the same description: they once believed but now know better. All it takes is a bit of study and research and—presto!—the whole farce about ancient aliens crumbles.

Just sayin'.

In fact, it takes somebody quite uninformed to believe 90% of the Pisstory Channel's tripe.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#133    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,308 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 10 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

But why would he lie about such a thing?

because he has an agenda......?

#134    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,523 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 October 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

In fact, it takes somebody quite uninformed to believe 90% of the Pisstory Channel's tripe.

Last night I stumbled across the History Channel and, much to my shock, they were airing a two-hour special on Caligula. That's right, something legitimately historical, and it was a pretty damn good special. It was probably a rerun that's been aired multiple times, but with the welter of mindless crap the History Channel airs these days, I was delighted. I actually watched the History Channel last night.

How odd is that? :wacko:

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#135    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,280 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 10 October 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Last night I stumbled across the History Channel and, much to my shock, they were airing a two-hour special on Caligula. That's right, something legitimately historical, and it was a pretty damn good special. It was probably a rerun that's been aired multiple times, but with the welter of mindless crap the History Channel airs these days, I was delighted. I actually watched the History Channel last night.

How odd is that? :wacko:

No side effects, like increased hair growth? :devil:

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users