Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Should/do christians join in with Halloween?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

The shops are filling up with Halloween accessories and it'll soon be here....

As christians do you celebrate Halloween or is it considered a festival that goes against your faith? Is Halloween a festival of evil in the eyes of christians? - it was to me when I was a christian as I felt it was linked to the occult and paganism and I avoided it altogether. I don't now.

Here are some articles I found:

http://carm.org/halloween

http://www.christian.../halloween.html

http://www.gty.org/R...s/Articles/1126

Posted Image

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

The Christians I know celebrate it like everyone else, they just see it as another fun holiday, go out, get some free candy, dress up like weirdos and enjoy some horror movies. They know it's history and shizz, but they feel holiday we celebrate nowadays is more for fun then anything occult or paganistic.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,824 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostBling, on 07 October 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

The shops are filling up with Halloween accessories and it'll soon be here....

As christians do you celebrate Halloween or is it considered a festival that goes against your faith? Is Halloween a festival of evil in the eyes of christians? - it was to me when I was a christian as I felt it was linked to the occult and paganism and I avoided it altogether. I don't now.

Here are some articles I found:

http://carm.org/halloween

http://www.christian.../halloween.html

http://www.gty.org/R...s/Articles/1126

Posted Image

Hi Bling,

I'm Roman Catholic and I don't see a problem with it. Our Parish even has a Halloween party! The word Halloween is actually a contraction for All Hallows Eve, which, before the reform of the liturgical calendar, was the vigil of All Saints and All Souls Days.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,050 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Its a fun night for kids,getting dressed up as mini witches, or goblins ,and as long as an adult accompanies them I dont see any harm,I always contribute a few pennies,with the adult at the end of the path to look after them and also keep the shrieks down.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    markdohle

markdohle

Government Agent

• 4,287 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

It is a way of facing our fears I think and I enjoy it.  Some Christians don't however, think it is all demonic.

peace
mark

#6    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Off topic, but I know Muslims don't. In fact, Muslims don't celebrate any festival that's outside the teachings of the religion.

#7    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

spark

• 8,103 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

As with all 'holidays', Halloween has just become commercial nonsense ....... a reason to make money and spend money. Nothing thoughtful about it.

"End the struggle and DANCE with Life!"

#8    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,750 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

I don't like it because it seems so terribly American, no offence, it's not something that has any cultural foundation in Australian society. 364 days of the year we go on and on about "stranger danger" and then on Halloween we should blythly send our children off to take food from strangers?
Any "trick or treaters" that front up on the doorstep of chez WoH get an apple nd a lecture about the history of Halloween, maybe we an added verse on stranger danger if I don't know why the kids are.

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Normally where I come from, Christians love to go trick or treating.  .. The older ones will run parties.   In saying that, you will find the odd stick in the mud, like the minister of the church my daughter goes to.  He dislikes Halloween, and because the church usually held a Halloween fancy dress party for the kids at the church each year, when he joined the parish, he banned it, claiming that it was wicked and should not be allowed...He claims it was a sin against god..  This didn't go down too well with the kids and many of the parents, so he compromised, he allowed them to have a fancy dress as long as no kids wore witch, devil or monster costumes that are  'scary;'...Becky said it's not as fun as it once was...they cannot carve their pumpkins either, so she no longer goes to their church fancy dress ..Becky loves to dress up as ghost and ghost princess..This year however she is harping on about dressing up as a Ghostbuster..!!

I think Halloween is about the kids getting excited, dressing up  and going off to get candy and treats...My daughter plans it weeks in advance, as much as she would with Christmas.. I guess kids love to dress up and have fun.  My husband loves to go out with Becky and her friends to make sure they are safe while out at night, ( and the fact that he is still a big kids at heart )  a good few parents will do the same.....I have no problem with that, and I know many Christians love it too ...

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 07 October 2012 - 10:32 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#10    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,789 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

There are some US Christian cults that have a fit about it. But most mainstream Christians don't consider it a religious issue. As do I. It's a great holiday.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#11    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

I think the christian faith seems to have lightened up about it, but it did used to be frowned upon because of the perceived connection with the dark side.....

#12    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 2,637 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

When people are having fun, there's always some who suspects sin must be involved.

#13    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostBeany, on 08 October 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

When people are having fun, there's always some who suspects sin must be involved.

:tu:

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,050 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

View PostMnemonix, on 07 October 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

Off topic, but I know Muslims don't. In fact, Muslims don't celebrate any festival that's outside the teachings of the religion.
  Miserable shower,but when they live in the U.K. they still have all the holidays off work,like Xmas, Easter etc.

#15    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,050 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

And after Halloween its Bonfire night (ref Guy Fawkes, who was a complete failure).He  obviously wasn't S.A.S. trained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users