Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Detroit-Enter at Own Risk

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,732 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 08 October 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Clip I bookmarked about a month ago.

Just Wow!   And what caused the death of Detroit?  The Unions!  What goes around comes back around.....

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#17    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

View Postjoc, on 09 October 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

Just Wow!   And what caused the death of Detroit?  The Unions!  What goes around comes back around.....

Do you have a link where I can read about the affect of unions on the auto industry?

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#18    joc

joc

• 12,732 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 09 October 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

Do you have a link where I can read about the affect of unions on the auto industry?
No, but if you are a Googler, just look up The affect of unions on the auto industry...I mean...it is no secret that GM was brought to its knees by the unions.  Paying people for not working...unrealistic for life pensions and life time insurance ...good lord...the list is long and rugged...that is why GM failed and why Obama in effect Nationalized GM and then resold it back to the unions that killed it in the first place.   ANd...as the dude says in the video...none of the bail out money went back to Detroit...none of it...

Edited by joc, 09 October 2012 - 04:42 AM.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#19    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

View Postjoc, on 09 October 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

No, but if you are a Googler, just look up The affect of unions on the auto industry...I mean...it is no secret that GM was brought to its knees by the unions.  Paying people for not working...unrealistic for life pensions and life time insurance ...good lord...the list is long and rugged...that is why GM failed and why Obama in effect Nationalized GM and then resold it back to the unions that killed it in the first place.   ANd...as the dude says in the video...none of the bail out money went back to Detroit...none of it...

Alright, I will check it out. I knew about the ridiculous pensions but was not aware of the unions involvement. Unions were needed in the past and were started with good intentions...but these days, many unions do more harm than good...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#20    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,015 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

View Postjoc, on 09 October 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

About the only people the union hasn't put out of business around here is TVA.

#21    joc

joc

• 12,732 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostMichelle, on 09 October 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

About the only people the union hasn't put out of business around here is TVA.
.Yeah, but, doesn't the Government own the TVA?

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#22    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,015 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

View Postjoc, on 09 October 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

.Yeah, but, doesn't the Government own the TVA?

You bet...and after hearing all of the stories, from people that worked for TVA for many years, I can understand exactly why unions are so destructive. The waste in manual labor and materials on the job is unreal!!! Not to mention the benefits they still get.

It wasn't any different on any other union jobs they were on. The only difference is TVA had taxpayer money to throw away.

Edited by Michelle, 09 October 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#23    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,369 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

View Postjoc, on 08 October 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors

Is this really the America that we are going to be dealing with for the rest of our lives?  Seriously?  I think Detroit should hire Rudy Giuliani.

Posted Image
Joc, would you mind telling me where you found that? I would like to send it to a friend of mine who is a former police officer.

Posted Image

#24    joc

joc

• 12,732 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostGummug, on 11 October 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Joc, would you mind telling me where you found that? I would like to send it to a friend of mine who is a former police officer.
Click right HERE

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#25    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Detroit is a maximum level example of a fallen inner-city among other US major cities in the last 40-some years, as no city came as close to near death like Detroit. I mean there are some major cities in the west coast like Oakland, Long Beach, Santa Ana, San Bernardino and Fresno boost similar statistics in levels of crime, poverty, unemployment, welfare rolls and business vacancy rates, then to compare them with Detroit is a "whole different horse of a different color".

Detroit has one of the largest urban black populations in the country and a testiment to the country's troubled history of race relations. For example, the enclave cities of Highland Park and Hamtrack aren't as ruined, though fell victim to surrounding urban decline, and the Northwest and Southwest portions of Detroit where immigrant ethnic groups live (Dearborn's Arab-American community, the Korean/ Asian sections of Novi, Mexicantown/ Greektown in "revitalized" downtown, and the Polish neighborhoods on the east city limits) appear better off than Black majority sections where urban blight, abandoned businesses and blocks of torn-down homes predominate the landscape. And 8 mile road was where one can find trailer parks across from not-as-decrepit Metro Detroit suburbs.

Drug activity is high in Detroit in part of it's proximity to Canada, except El Paso facing Mexico is the nation's biggest port of entry for illegal drug trafficking. And the era of free trade plus outsourcing of factory jobs impacted border cities the most, but Detroit seen the collapse of its' highly dependent auto industry blamed on labor unions, environmental policies and competition with rival automobile companies in Japan or Europe.

It's sad to see Detroit evolved to a "modern-day Atlantis" or a "real life Silent Hill" scenario, because local politics and economic conditions plus white flight and business regulations spells the fall of civilization in a microcosm once was part of America's top 10 largest cities from the 1930s Great Depression to the 2000s Great Recession, and I can say corruption in Detroit is legendary to produce a suicidal pattern of civic maintainence.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#26    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,369 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

View Postjoc, on 11 October 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Click right HERE
Thank you my friend!
@Tsa-La-Gie Oyate: I heard that the mayor of Detroit (I forget his name) is one of the most corrupt ever.

Edited by Gummug, 12 October 2012 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

#27    joc

joc

• 12,732 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostGummug, on 12 October 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

Thank you my friend!
@Tsa-La-Gie Oyate: I heard that the mayor of Detroit (I forget his name) is one of the most corrupt ever.
De nada

Posted Image

ReverbNation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users