Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

William Lane Craig on the Historical Jesus -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 09 October 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Dawkins has a history of refusing to debate people that actually use real logic.
William Craig doesn't use real logic, I've already posted the arguments he uses.

#32    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,099 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 09 October 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

William Craig doesn't use real logic, I've already posted the arguments he uses.
I would agree with you in his apologist capacity, but in his criticism, I would say he is Dam good at pointing out the gross flaws of others, but yes he should turn that analysis on himself.

Edited by Seeker79, 09 October 2012 - 01:53 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#33    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

I fail to see the “brilliance” of this apologist and am stunned by the assumption that one absurdity is aceptable while another is not.  Was Mithra born of a rock?  Yes. But I find birth, which may well be a simulation found in myths, no stranger than a woman being impregnated by a god and being virgin at the time of birth.  Could the virgin birth of Jesus also be such a simulation?  Yes.  But it would fall in line with multiple virgin births of earlier gods, none of which this “brilliant” apologist was willing to mention.

I am also repulsed by his constant mention of “Christian documents” as if they were originals and trustworthy.  There are no original Christian documents and the tales of the New Testament have no more valid authenticity than the tales of Mithra which are reduced to “myths” by men like him.  The earliest “Christian documents” are fragments of copies of copies of copies dating to 200 years after the alleged death of Jesus and the vast majority are dated 100 to 200 years later.

He ridicules the baptismal tradition of Mithraism because it dealt with a bull and blood.  But he probably sits in church each Sunday and sings about the blood of the lamb and the senseless sacrifices that are endorsed within New Testament writings.

Was much of Christianity formed form the religion honoring Mithra?  Probably.  Roman soldiers brought the Mithra beliefs with them when returning from distant battlefields and Constantine was no dummy.  He needed the military’s support and would later use it to spread Christianity by force throughout eastern Europe.  It would be only logical to blend an existing faith with the establishment of a new one.

And by the way, this "historical Jesus", where do we find him?

Edited by Dr. D, 09 October 2012 - 05:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users