Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

a picture's worth a few words

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#46    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

It looks like PMSL means "P*ssing myself laughing"; maybe unit is the one who should take a break from the koolaid then if bladder control is an issue.  On the positive side I learned a new acronym today, so this thread for me is down to only being 99% a waste of time.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#47    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 October 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

p.s. I also do not know what PMSL means ........ explanation, please.
pmsl means 'pee (piss) myself laughing'
edit to say:
oops i was slow on the reply there...ah well

Edited by JGirl, 11 October 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#48    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,104 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Yes, the time has not been totally wasted: I have discovered what pareidolia is(it wasn't in my dictionary, strangely), and also what PMSL means(thank you JGirl and Liquid gardens).

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#49    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 October 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Yes, the time has not been totally wasted: I have discovered what pareidolia is(it wasn't in my dictionary, strangely), and also what PMSL means(thank you JGirl and Liquid gardens).
you're welcome ouija, not a total loss then. unfortunately all i gleaned from this thread is how not to waste my time in future. hey, i guess that's a worthy lesson in itself!

#50    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Not that you will, but don't let them get to you unit.

I don't think the example you gave was anywhere near as evident as you may believe it to be, but I can definitily see where you're coming from. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was intentionally done. I must admit that I'm still uncertain on it though due to the fact I think they may have positioned the green pepper's stem a little more crudely if they really wanted to sell a subliminal message of sex in that photograph.

Nonetheless the examples I gave are rather evident examples of companies using sumbliminal messages of sex to make their product more appealing to their customers on a subconscious level.

For those that don't understand how or why this works I'll attempt to explain. Most people find sex enjoyable and exciting. The very thought of triggers "positive" responses in most peoples brains.

Well, when you look at a Coke ad (or any other) that has a sexual image hidden in it that acts on your subconscious mind you are more likely to find the product more exciting and pleasurable. It's meant to trigger those same responses that run through your brain when actually having sex (or looking at sexual images, etc).

For that reason you will end up buying the product more impulsively. Without the image acting on you subconsciously you'd be more like to pass on purchasing the item if you weren't all that thirsty to begin with.

It works in other ways as well rather than just influencing people to buy something impulsively.

And it isn't just subliminal sexual messages used to accomplish this type of thing. The thought of money is another way that this is done. Here is an example below.

Now why would a dollar bill be hidden amongst the lettuce on that sandwich?

Well, much like sex people tend to find the thought of having money exciting and appealing. It triggers a "positive" reaction in the majority of our minds.

So again, the purpose is to act on your subconscious in a way that will make you seek that KFC snacker the next time your cruising around and feel like getting something quick to eat. Sure, you may be hungry anyway, but why is that KFC snacker sandwich what you're craving more so than something from any of the other fast food restaurants?

It's also worth mentioning that laws exist which are supposed to make such advertising tactics illegal. The fact that there are laws against it should indicate to people it is obviously a practice purposely used by advertisers. Unfortunately, despite the laws it doesn't seem to prevent companies from doing such things.

People can come down on unit all they like if they disagree about what is present in the bell peppers image, but if that's all you're focused on than you are missing the point he was making.

Maybe he didn't choose the best example, but the point is advertisements all around us use subliminal messages - often times through something sexual being hidden in the image - as a means of making their product more appealing to us by acting on our subliminal minds.

#51    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

in reference to the dollar bill manifesting in the lettuce...
if anything i would think that would do the opposite of what is intended. there's a big  '99 cents'  visible to the conscious mind but the message given to the subconscious is that it will actually cost more. ($1.00)
that's how i see it anyway. guess it won't work on me.

Edited by JGirl, 11 October 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#52    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 11 October 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Maybe he didn't choose the best example, but the point is advertisements all around us use subliminal messages - often times through something sexual being hidden in the image - as a means of making their product more appealing to us by acting on our subliminal minds.

I don't deny subliminal messaging. I'm just saying the only thing I see in the picture are peppers.

Edited by Mnemonix, 11 October 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#53    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostJGirl, on 11 October 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

in reference to the dollar bill manifesting in the lettuce... if anything i would think that would do the opposite of what is intended. there's a big  '99 cents'  visible to the conscious mind but the message given to the subconscious is that it will actually cost more. ($1.00)

When it's been pointed out to you, you aren't going to view it subconsciously. Your subconscious thoughts act upon things differently than your conscious ones.

Your subconscious mind is not going to think "oh, it must cost a dollar, and that is one cent more than the advertised .99 cents." Your subconscious mind is simply going to think "MONEY."

It could've been a $50 or $100 bill, or simply the "$" sign. The amount isn't all that important in this instance. It's the image we associate with money that is important. The dollar bill could've had the "1" removed and it still would've had the same subliminal effect.

Edited by Left-Field, 11 October 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#54    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostMnemonix, on 11 October 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

I don't deny subliminal messaging. I'm just saying the only thing I see in the picture are peppers.

There's nothing wrong with that. But people choosing to mock unit over the picture are entirely missing the point he was making.

Did he use a poor example to make the point? Perhaps, but that does not mean the message he was trying to convey to others isn't a reality.

People claiming this thread has only wasted their time have no one but themselves to blame. If they focused on the point made and the fact it is a truth they would get something out of this thread.

It isn't unit's fault that these people are overly focused on the one example he gave when further examples have been given which clearly show subliminal messaging is used by advertisement agencies to try and lure in more consumers. And they usually do this with sexual or monetary imagery.

Edited by Left-Field, 11 October 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#55    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Hermit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

this is the dumbest thread of all time.

#56    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 11 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

There's nothing wrong with that. But people choosing to mock unit over the picture are entirely missing the point he was making.

Did he use a poor example to make the point? Perhaps, but that does not mean the message he was trying to convey to others isn't a reality.

People claiming this thread has only wasted their time have no one but themselves to blame. If they focused on the point made and the fact it is a truth they would get something out of this thread.

It isn't unit's fault that these people are overly focused on the one example he gave when further examples have been given which clearly show subliminal messaging is used by advertisement agencies to try and lure in more consumers. And they usually do this with sexual or monetary imagery.
are you unit's mom? i mean really, i think he can handle himself.

#57    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 11 October 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

When it's been pointed out to you, you aren't going to view it subconsciously. Your subconscious thoughts act upon things differently than your conscious ones.

Your subconscious mind is not going to think "oh, it must cost a dollar, and that is one cent more than the advertised .99 cents." Your subconscious mind is simply going to think "MONEY."

It could've been a $50 or $100 bill, or simply the "$" sign. The amount isn't all that important in this instance. It's the image we associate with money that is important. The dollar bill could've had the "1" removed and it still would've had the same subliminal effect.

perhaps i'm just not influenced by marketing ploys or perhaps it's because i attach very little importance to monetary things in my life, who knows? i think there is more sinister crap going on with the wording in ads than the visuals.
my opinion is that the large majority of people are sheep where marketing is concerned, and they pretty much are roped in one way or the other.
i am very sensitive to it in my conscious thought so i figure i probably have a good filter in my subconscious thought as well. if people bothered to educate themselves as consumers these ploys wouldn't even be an issue.

#58    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

*eh, nevermind*

Edited by Left-Field, 11 October 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#59    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostJGirl, on 11 October 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

are you unit's mom? i mean really, i think he can handle himself.

Are you rotten and defensive towards everyone that doesn't fall in line with what you think and say?

I haven't said anything that implies unit can't handle himself. He's a member of this community and no one should be getting ridiculed within it - especially when it's just one person piling on top of another. It's shameful.

Whether it was being done to unit or any other member at random here I would've replied in the same manner.

People really should learn how to treat others with kindness and respect whether they agree with someone or not.

Edited by Left-Field, 11 October 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#60    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 11 October 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Are you rotten and defensive towards everyone that doesn't fall in line with what you think and say?

I haven't said anything that implies unit can't handle himself. He's a member of this community and no one should be getting ridiculed within it - especially one it's just one person piling on top of another. It's shameful.

Whether it was being done to unit or any other member at random here I would've replied in the same manner.

People really should learn how to treat others with kindness and respect whether they agree with someone or not.
no i'm more of the sarcastic type. there are all kinds of people in the world, some of us aren't as nice as you'd like. welcome to the internet.

oh incidentally, i did not ridicule unit.

Edited by JGirl, 11 October 2012 - 08:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users