Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

When Is It Excessive Force Anymore?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#91    Travelling Man

Travelling Man

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

• And you are asking... Why?

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

I was going off the links provided by other folks... which must be too much work for you to read. There were reports of two couples being attacked by a naked man who punched and attempted to bite them.

Superior firepower will win over superior numbers - every time!  G.A. Custer
Superior numbers will win over superior firepower - every time!  S. Bull

My credentials

#92    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:42 AM

Was this police officer on duty alone? If so, why? A police officer shouldn't be on duty alone. (My opinion)

If he wasn't alone, why did he go out alone......with his gun drawn?

If he really thought that there was enough of a threat to draw his gun, then he should have stayed inside and waited for backup or asked another officer to go out with him if he wasn't alone.

You don't go into a potentially dangerous situation without backup! Either way, this officer was definitely ill-prepared!

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#93    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

I think it all depends on how the individual holding the handgun sized up the physical and psychological matchup based upon their own personal experiences in life.  Most people will say how they would have handled any situation requiring tough and difficult decisions.  But if the individual doesn't these experiences through life than there is no way of knowing what will happen.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#94    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,970 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

View Postacidhead, on 12 October 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

I think it all depends on how the individual holding the handgun sized up the physical and psychological matchup based upon their own personal experiences in life.  Most people will say how they would have handled any situation requiring tough and difficult decisions.  But if the individual doesn't these experiences through life than there is no way of knowing what will happen.
I agree completely if we are talking about the average person being confronted in such a manner.  But as citizens we should have a right to expect a bit more from the people who are literally given the power of life or death over us.  A sworn police officer should have training that enables them to do more than react at the most base of levels.  It is the training that one resorts to in such situations that make them a professional to begin with.  I don't think the young man who got scared (probably) and pulled a trigger is evil - I think he wasn't properly trained or, possibly, he just wasn't suited to the profession.  He definitely broke the standards of the uniform he was wearing and it might have made all the difference in this case.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#95    Realm

Realm

• 2,055 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

The last few naked people we have heard about started eating people. I'd probably shoot too, in the right circumstance.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#96    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

View Postand then, on 12 October 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

I agree completely if we are talking about the average person being confronted in such a manner.  But as citizens we should have a right to expect a bit more from the people who are literally given the power of life or death over us.  A sworn police officer should have training that enables them to do more than react at the most base of levels.  It is the training that one resorts to in such situations that make them a professional to begin with.  I don't think the young man who got scared (probably) and pulled a trigger is evil - I think he wasn't properly trained or, possibly, he just wasn't suited to the profession.  He definitely broke the standards of the uniform he was wearing and it might have made all the difference in this case.

If you agreed completely why didn't you like my comment... lol

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users