Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

What is modern music lacking

music

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#31    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

We never disagree Hasina . . . . until now.

Opinions are formed by the music available and if the quality of music declines to the level of debasing country or demeaning rap, then they are not comparative opinions.  How many young people like Broadway or opera?  Each generation is conditions to what is current, not what is available.

#32    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Seeker

• 2,953 posts

• "When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

It's missing style, real lyrics, real meaning, and everything else that makes up real music.

#33    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostDr. D, on 09 October 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

We never disagree Hasina . . . . until now.

Opinions are formed by the music available and if the quality of music declines to the level of debasing country or demeaning rap, then they are not comparative opinions.  How many young people like Broadway or opera?  Each generation is conditions to what is current, not what is available.
Just because it doesn't sound good to you (dear me, am I actually defending rap?) but that doesn't make it less then what you like.

View PostNikkiAidyn, on 09 October 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

It's missing style, real lyrics, real meaning, and everything else that makes up real music.
Real lyrics? Like those darn orchestras...

Posted Image

~MEH~

#34    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Just because it doesn't sound good to you (dear me, am I actually defending rap?) but that doesn't make it less then what you like.

Real lyrics? Like those darn orchestras...

Music, my dear, is an art.  What you are defending is a sound.

#35    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostDr. D, on 09 October 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Music, my dear, is an art.  What you are defending is a sound.
Is a DaVinci painting art? Is a Picasso painting art? I'd never call Picasso's work 'art' but many do.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#36    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Is a DaVinci painting art? Is a Picasso painting art? I'd never call Picasso's work 'art' but many do.

Comparing daVinci to Picasso is like comparing writing to typing

#37    John Rayne

John Rayne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Joseph Campbell - “Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved”

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

art/ärt/

Noun:
  • The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"

how you feel about it is your opinion, but when someone creates something that IS art

#38    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

One thing that today's music is missing is an identifier.  For example:  the opening harmonics on Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth": 60's song, the repetitive bass disco beat on Chic's "Dance, Dance, Dance": 70's song, synthesizer at the beginning of Cory Hart's "Sunglasses at Night": 80's song, opening guitar riff of Soundgarden's "Outshined": 90's song.  From the 2000's on, there really hasn't been much of a way to differentiate a song from then and now...

Also, music is meshing together and fusing so it doesn't sound so absolute as before.  One example:  Country music.  A lot of the modern Country music, you could play it on a top 40 station and no one would blink an eye.  Put George Strait, Clint Black, Dwight Yoakum, Tanya Tucker, etc... they'd make a face because it sounds Country...

#39    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

Does it? Or is it the other way around?

Music has (a direct) influence upon us and we have (an indirect) influence upon music.

We could all listen to the same song and get striking, extremely different meaning and emotion, or lack thereof from it.

And what? It is normal. What you have said is nothing surprising. Every of us is different so he or she gets different feelings when listening to the same melody. How else?

So is the written song influencing us, or is our own inner translation of it?

Both.

Cussing can be used as a good analogy. You could say '@#$% you' to one person and illicit an angry response. Others would get uncomfortable or afraid. Some might laugh. Others will shake your hand. This wide array of emotions, most contrasting others, isn't caused by the word itself or by its intent by the speaker. They were caused by the person's own inner translation. The only person who can get an emotional or conscious/subconscious/unconscious reaction out of yourself is.. yourself. The initial medium can only present itself to you, for you to interpret, either consciously or otherwise.

And what? It is normal. What you have said is nothing surprising. Every of us is different so he or she has a different reaction when listening to such an offense. How else?

So, what is your Spirit telling you the music is about? You have already told us in the OP.

Because I have already told you in the OP, why do you ask?

#40    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

To you, it is entertainment. For another, it may be release. Science. Art. Political. Philosophical. Love. Happiness. Worship. You name it, and you can tie music and song into it.

It is good to add also Sympahy. Compassion. Wisdom & Soul related thoughts.

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

Music is almost as old as man. I'd be curious to see if it is even as old as man. I just know it was not entertainment when natives of my country would sing and dance to, and for, their gods.

Music is much older than man.

#41    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

I find most modern music un-inspiring..

Perhaps that is what is missing, inspiration, uniqueness.

It's remake after remake these days..

#42    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 09 October 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

Now I am going to ask you something: Do you believe that music has a less positive influence upon our souls, when it does not contain a sufficient amount of songs about the safety of our souls and about the most intensely suffering people? I believe that a very large amount of attention should be paid to those who suffer most of all. But it seems to me that music is little forgetting about them. Or am I wrong?

Please define what "the safety of our souls" means to you and why you feel music should cover "suffering". I have never in my entire life heard anyone request a song about people suffering......unless you want to include some metal music which is done more for a reaction from the listener.....

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#43    Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo Stiglitz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Man of The People

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Today's music just flat out sucks!

"If you want to walk the Streets of Gold,you got to know the password, ROLL TIDE ROLL."
Paul "BEAR"Bryant

#44    Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 09 October 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

The essence of this "empty window" in music reminds me the most famous religions, which will give you anything but the truth that is forbidden for you to know. Both music and religions prevent people from any complete spiritual growth. And deliberately.

You're complaining because popular music doesn't focus upon your personal delusions? There's not a single human emotion you can name that isn't reflected in music. There's nothing left out, you're just choosing to ignore anything you don't want to hear. And by declaring certain lyrics 'unsuitable' all you're doing is making a fool of yourself.
Why not voice your complete opinion (as you did in your previous post that was removed)? You actually believe most humans are 'hellish' and you're anxious for their extermination. You genuinely believe 'hellish people' want to eat your soul. Apparently these delusions cloud your judgement in every aspect of your life, even preventing you from enjoying something as pure and human as music. That's pathetic.

#45    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

Who decides what is suitable or not? You, and your sole interpretation of the words?

There are general criteria (that originate mainly from the spiritual worlds and that somewhat reflect ourselves in our coarse-material world and they create and assign the relationship between melodies and what they are bound with - to what they belong and what they express) and respective criteria (above all, individual human beings - what they are like and what they are to be like) that decide what is suitable or not.

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

Who died and made you critic of Truth?

Literally taken, no one. Metaphorically taken, perhaps I have got a bit of some inspiration from Beings that are not stupid at all.

Also tagged with music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users