Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do you have nightmares?

nightmares sleep

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Does anyone here have nightmares?

Definition:

A nightmare is a dream occurring during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep that results in feelings of strong terror, fear, distress or extreme anxiety. This phenomenon tends to occur in the latter part of the night and oftentimes awakens the sleeper, who is likely to recall the content of the dream.

http://www.psycholog...ions/nightmares

So if you do, what do you think causes them? How often do you have them? How does it affect your life? Did you have them as children? Is there a cure?

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Ask Ever Learning to teach you how to lucid dream :P . I read that lucid dreamers can resolve the nightmare in their sleep.

Well, I may have had some nightmares. And not Dr. D's definition of the term.

Edited by Mnemonix, 09 October 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#3    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Some are caused by minor unresolved fears and anxieties, some are based in fear of loss or stemming from actual loss or negative experience, some are just 'fantasies' created by the sleeping mind.

I rather enjoy some.

#4    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Never have.

Thanks,

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#5    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

I had them practically every night as a child, which I now know was caused by my horrible childhood experiences, and resulted in me wetting the bed as I woke up. I have some now, they are not scary but more strongly emotional and can stick with me for hours after I awake. But I know why they are there so I can cope with them so really doesn't affect me half as much as they used to. Who knows what goes on in our minds while we're asleep, fascinating though, the fact that we can't control these thoughts and emotions - we're in our own little world at the time!
I don't wet the bed anymore :P

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,423 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

I have them from time to time.  Mine are usually caused by crap going on in my life., something said, something done, etc.  I noticed when I was taking melatonin it really gave me some crazy nightmares.

#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,478 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I now take prescribed pills to stop the nightmares I used to buy pills to induce.  (no names; no pack-drill on what I took.. 'tis a family site)

So haven't had a bad dream for a long time. As child I used to have a bad dream if I fell asleep on my back, (I usually slept on my side) and have no idea why.

Edited by Eldorado, 09 October 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#8    Cora Calliope

Cora Calliope

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• "When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

I have nightmares once or twice a month. They are always very long, vivid, and complicated. For example, at the end of my nightmare last night, I was forced to marry Hitler while at my family's lakehouse. He tried to rape me, but I was saved by a long-lost brother who killed Hitler with a field hockey stick. After I woke up (at 5am), I refused to go back to bed because I was so scared. As for the reason I have nightmares, I think that my brain is overactive and weird in general. I know someone who takes Lunesta, which she says causes her to have nightmares every other night or so. She is going off Lunesta soon, because the nightmares are getting so intense.

#9    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

What's fun is to have a really horrible nightmare and then wake up and try to make it happen.

But then, that's just me.

#10    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

when you're an adult.. do you still call them nightmares?

whatever they are, they're pretty good.

when life can't smack you upside the head, the dream manages to get the job done

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#11    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

View Postunit, on 09 October 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

when you're an adult.. do you still call them nightmares?

whatever they are, they're pretty good.

when life can't smack you upside the head, the dream manages to get the job done

Yes they're called Adult Nightmares

#12    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,106 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostHilander, on 09 October 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

I have them from time to time.  Mine are usually caused by crap going on in my life., something said, something done, etc.  I noticed when I was taking melatonin it really gave me some crazy nightmares.

I agree, I think dreams are a kind of a reflection on what is going on in your life and also what you pull into your dream from the outside world too.  I listen to the radio at a low volume at night when I sleep and more often than not, I have dreams of driving and listening to the radio or like that.  I usually have some really weird and creepy nightmares when I take Nyquil and sick from a cold so medications definitely also affect dreams too.

#13    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,878 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

I think I've had maybe one or two in my entire life.  Even then I'm not sure since the dream caused anxiety and worry over my "situation", but not real fear.

#14    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,660 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostEldorado, on 09 October 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

I now take prescribed pills to stop the nightmares I used to buy pills to induce.  (no names; no pack-drill on what I took.. 'tis a family site)

So haven't had a bad dream for a long time. As child I used to have a bad dream if I fell asleep on my back, (I usually slept on my side) and have no idea why.

Eldorado I like your current icon pic. lol ... :D

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#15    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,660 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

I used to have severe SEVERE nightmares, every single time I closed my eyes. It was like freakn Freddy Kruger. I was so afraid to sleep I often say I had 'insomnia'. I litterally would stay up all night to avoid my nightmares and constantly took no-doz and drank caffenated drinks to try to stay awake. I would fall asleep in class (I was in college then) and didn't have nightmares in class. So I just continued to sleep in class. I had to take science three times because of this. At least I got some sleep in though... This was litterally one of the most horrible times of my life. The dreams seemed very real and they were awful..... Not only were they filled with monsters etc... I was a grusome murderer in most of them. Yes I was killing bad guys, but I was a murderer none the less. Glad thats over :)

That lasted for three years.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users