Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do you have nightmares?

nightmares sleep

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,384 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

I have a couple of them a month, but I think they are fun. I can manipulate them and almost always know I'm having a nighmare, so it's more like being in a scary movie that I'm directing. They get away from me sometimes, but I can usually get them back into control.

#17    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,290 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostBling, on 09 October 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

So if you do, what do you think causes them? How often do you have them? How does it affect your life? Did you have them as children? Is there a cure?
As for these questions I will msg you privately. But later.... @ work now :D

PEACE

Mine were never fun

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#18    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,384 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 09 October 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Mine were never fun

I'm sorry...my husband has terrible nightmares and he doesn't think they are fun either. I wake him up on a regular basis when I hear him fighting them.

#19    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 09 October 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

As for these questions I will msg you privately. But later.... @ work now :D

PEACE

Mine were never fun

Ok!

#20    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

I've was having reoccurring nightmares a few years ago:
Speeding out of control through traffic, weaving past cars, unable to break. It always ended with me waking up with a jolt right before crashing.
I tried lucid dreaming my way out and although the breaks wouldn't work I did get the car to fly to safety towards the end.
Turns out driving home drunk at 3am made quite an impression on my subconscious mind.
The nightmares stopped when I gave up the risky behavior.

#21    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Weirdly I have a reoccuring dream where I can't find my car in a car park....except it's not the car I have now and is a different car each time I dream it. The feeling of panic that I have while searching for my car feels very real, and I wake up feeling weird and a bit upset. It is a nightmare, and I can cope with it, I just wonder why I have it sometimes!

#22    The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

I do have nightmares nearly every night, but I don't dream about monsters etc.. My dreams are based on my past and present. I can't stand them.

#23    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,722 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Occasionally I have nightmares.  Usually they involve really stressful or upsetting life like situations. (Violence, Loss) My dreams are always very intense, emotionally so if something "bad" is happening in a dream sometimes those feelings will linger for hours after I've woken up.   I don't remember having many as a kid, but I'm sure I must have had them once in awhile then too.   I've been waking myself up if I'm feeling scared for a long time, so they don't usually last long.  Usually I wish I would push through it and stay with the dream though. That's only happened a couple of times.

#24    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Almost everynight, though within the nightmare there is no great fear. The fear comes when I wake and I realise what horrors I have dreamt. I still have the night terrors, sleep parallysis, once every few months. Always the same. You dream about lying in bed and knowing some horror is coming up the stairs. Door opens and there is feeling of terrible dread as the monster glides into the room and hovers over you. Then you realise you cannot move and there is a cold sweat. You think you are going to die, you cannot tell if you are awake or dreaming, then the spell is broken. For those who never had this, then be thankful as it is truly terrible...

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 10 October 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#25    GenerationNine

GenerationNine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

• Never assume.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

I get some pretty wicked nightmares on occasion. They started a few years ago, and have become less frequent (they used to happen as often as once a week, now they happen closer to once every couple months or so). I'm not sure what causes them, but they've ranged from being chased by a murderer/rapist to a ghoulish woman hurting a newborn kitten to a hillbilly sasquatch kidnapping me. The one that has occurred more than once, though, isn't so much scary as just annoying and messed up: all of my teeth fall out, but I can't spit them out of my mouth, so I just have a mouthful of teeth. I'll wake up and be relieved that it's over...and then my teeth start falling out again. This cycle will repeat a few times, and "waking up" always seems so real that when I actually do wake up I can't always tell if I'm really awake or still dreaming. I usually have to touch my teeth to know for sure..... :blush:

It's important to be both skeptical and open-minded.

#26    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,646 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

Any nightmare I've had recently has been over the basic fears of anyone. Simply someone close to you dieing in a dream. They are very few and I rarely ever have them but when I do that is what they are about.

#27    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,290 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 10 October 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Almost everynight, though within the nightmare there is no great fear. The fear comes when I wake and I realise what horrors I have dreamt. I still have the night terrors, sleep parallysis, once every few months. Always the same. You dream about lying in bed and knowing some horror is coming up the stairs. Door opens and there is feeling of terrible dread as the monster glides into the room and hovers over you. Then you realise you cannot move and there is a cold sweat. You think you are going to die, you cannot tell if you are awake or dreaming, then the spell is broken. For those who never had this, then be thankful as it is truly terrible...

please note I don't really "like" it, just clicking like cuz, you know.... being appreciative to your grieve etc.... Sorry you have to go through that... :(

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#28    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,290 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

View PostMadam9, on 10 October 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

I get some pretty wicked nightmares on occasion. They started a few years ago, and have become less frequent (they used to happen as often as once a week, now they happen closer to once every couple months or so). I'm not sure what causes them, but they've ranged from being chased by a murderer/rapist to a ghoulish woman hurting a newborn kitten to a hillbilly sasquatch kidnapping me. The one that has occurred more than once, though, isn't so much scary as just annoying and messed up: all of my teeth fall out, but I can't spit them out of my mouth, so I just have a mouthful of teeth. I'll wake up and be relieved that it's over...and then my teeth start falling out again. This cycle will repeat a few times, and "waking up" always seems so real that when I actually do wake up I can't always tell if I'm really awake or still dreaming. I usually have to touch my teeth to know for sure..... :blush:

Thats gotta suck!!! I heard that loosing your teeth in a dream has to do with feeling you don't have control over something.. or problems with finance. Not scientific, just something I've heard.

#29    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,290 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

Never mind about what I said, and don't believe a word you read here either. Dreams about teeth falling out: http://dreammoods.co...arch=teethintro

#30    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,766 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:58 AM

I haven't had nightmares for many years. I used to have them with some frequency. Not sure why they've stopped, exactly.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users