Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Is a gang member a terrorist?


  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#16    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 17,171 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • I love chocolate

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Everyone is a terrorist.  Don't you people keep up?  Ron Paul bumper sticker?...terrorsit!  Anti abortion?...terrorist!  Believe a conspiracy theory?.....terrorist! 99 percenter?....terrorist!!! The ridicoulist goes on and on.

Edited by OverSword, 10 October 2012 - 03:32 PM.


#17    lightly

lightly

    metaphysical therapist

  • Member
  • 7,002 posts
  • Joined:01 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan U.S.A.

  • "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Anyone who  purposely induces fear in another  to advance an agenda is a terrorist.

    That is what terrorism is.     There are/*were already laws to deal with what is not terrorism.

Edited by lightly, 10 October 2012 - 04:05 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#18    Hippycrite

Hippycrite

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined:04 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kansas

  • even the President of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked-Bob Dylan

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

View Postlightly, on 10 October 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Anyone who  purposely induces fear in another  to advance an agenda is a terrorist.

That is what terrorism is. There are/*were already laws to deal with what is not terrorism.
Every talking head on Fox and MSNBC should be locked away for this reason.


#19    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

View Postsupervike, on 10 October 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Not advocating gang banging at all, but calling them terrorists, and all that implies could be extremely dangerous.

And why is that?  Don't call the psychopath a psychopath?

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” - Blaise Pascal

#20    Corp

Corp

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,961 posts
  • Joined:19 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ottawa

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

View Postsupervike, on 10 October 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Eeks...talk about a slippery slope.

Should someone be rounded up, sent to an internment camp, and held indefinately, without charges, until further notice?

If that could apply to 'gang members'...why not 'militia members'....'gun owners'...  Etc. etc.

Not advocating gang banging at all, but calling them terrorists, and all that implies could be extremely dangerous.

Militia members and gun owners aren't controlling neighbourhoods through threats of violence and murdering random citizens. So I don't see how the terrorist lable could be applied to them.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#21    supervike

supervike

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,229 posts
  • Joined:16 May 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 10 October 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

And why is that?  Don't call the psychopath a psychopath?

Sorry, allow me to clarify.

Just because one is a Gang member doesn't make them a terrorist or a criminal.  That's what I thought this thread was asking.  I was just assuming the OP meant just calling yourself a Gang member.  You know, wearing the colors, flashing the signs...  That is not a terrorist in my book.  Even the ones dealing drugs are not terrorists.  Criminals, yes, terrorists no.

If said Gang Member is drive by shooting,  commiting acts of random violence and other such atrocities...Then Terrorism is what it is.

Edited by supervike, 10 October 2012 - 06:00 PM.


#22    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

View Postsupervike, on 10 October 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

Sorry, allow me to clarify.

Just because one is a Gang member doesn't make them a terrorist or a criminal.  That's what I thought this thread was asking.  I was just assuming the OP meant just calling yourself a Gang member.  You know, wearing the colors, flashing the signs...  That is not a terrorist in my book.  Even the ones dealing drugs are not terrorists.  Criminals, yes, terrorists no.

If said Gang Member is drive by shooting,  commiting acts of random violence and other such atrocities...Then Terrorism is what it is.

You should watch Gangland on Spike every friday, they are terrorists, and they are very proud of it.

Edited by HavocWing, 10 October 2012 - 06:44 PM.

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” - Blaise Pascal

#23    aztek

aztek

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,621 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2006

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

unless you fight agains gvmnt, or ways it conducts its buissnes, you aren't terrorists.

government, and rich (the untochable), and banks, are rulling class\elite, you'll get more jailtime, and a lot higher bail, if you try to rob a bank, or assult a federal emploee, than if you would rape someone not important.
just afact of life,.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#24    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

    Unknown title error

  • Member
  • 3,233 posts
  • Joined:19 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Politicians use fear to advance their agendas. Its called a platform topic. By the definition of using fear to advance change in this government then politicians are terrorists.
Are we going to use terrorist as an umbrella term now. Gang members are simply looking for a family and support system. Crimes do happen and then they are criminals but that is as far as that should go. Anyone saying otherwise should really be ashamed of themselves. Just because one is afraid doesn't make them a victim of terror.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#25    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 10 October 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

Politicians use fear to advance their agendas. Its called a platform topic. By the definition of using fear to advance change in this government then politicians are terrorists.
Are we going to use terrorist as an umbrella term now. Gang members are simply looking for a family and support system. Crimes do happen and then they are criminals but that is as far as that should go. Anyone saying otherwise should really be ashamed of themselves. Just because one is afraid doesn't make them a victim of terror.

A friend of mines' daughter was just killed two weeks ago in a drive bye, we are all victims to those psychopaths who hold no regard for laws or rights of others or their lives.

And I grew up right in the middle of the L.A. metro area, you should not have to worry about going outside and being murdered for wearing the wrong colors in the wrong neighborhood, or being murdered for your watch, or being murdered just because the lunatic gang member wants to gain notoriety in his/her gang.  It is a constant fear zone there.

Edited by HavocWing, 10 October 2012 - 10:00 PM.

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” - Blaise Pascal

#26    Stellar

Stellar

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,903 posts
  • Joined:27 Apr 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 10 October 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

A friend of mines' daughter was just killed two weeks ago in a drive bye, we are all victims to those psychopaths who hold no regard for laws or rights of others or their lives.

And I grew up right in the middle of the L.A. metro area, you should not have to worry about going outside and being murdered for wearing the wrong colors in the wrong neighborhood, or being murdered for your watch, or being murdered just because the lunatic gang member wants to gain notoriety in his/her gang.  It is a constant fear zone there.

And calling them a terrorist vice a criminal makes you feel safer?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#27    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostStellar, on 10 October 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

And calling them a terrorist vice a criminal makes you feel safer?

No and what does that have to do with the topic?

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” - Blaise Pascal

#28    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

    Unknown title error

  • Member
  • 3,233 posts
  • Joined:19 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 10 October 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:



No and what does that have to do with the topic?
Pretty much everything actually. Title is gang member a terrorist?
Sorry to hear about the loss its tragic.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#29    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,993 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

My problem with spreading the terrorist label around too thin is, it will lose its meaning and this is more of a question, can't they hold you indefinitely with no trial if they charge you with terrorism?

We already have enough laws in place to put a gang member away for life if the crime warrants it.


#30    lightly

lightly

    metaphysical therapist

  • Member
  • 7,002 posts
  • Joined:01 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan U.S.A.

  • "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostHilander, on 10 October 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

My problem with spreading the terrorist label around too thin is, it will lose its meaning and this is more of a question, can't they hold you indefinitely with no trial if they charge you with terrorism?

We already have enough laws in place to put a gang member away for life if the crime warrants it.


     I know they can hold a Non U.S. citizen on SUSPICION ... indefinitely ...    Gitmo is proof of that.  

     As for "you"  or any U.S. citizen? .. i'm not sure.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users