Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Did Poles breaks Nazi Enigma code?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

As part of the effort the upper house of Poland's parliament is to pass a resolution praising Marian Rejewski, Jerzy Rozycki and Henryk Zygalski, the three Polish mathematicians who first broke the codes back in 1932.

Hailed as "heroes" in the resolution, Rejewski, Rozycki and Zygalski worked at the Polish Cipher Bureau in the early 1930s, and in late 1932 came up with three methods for breaking the encrypted codes produced on the Enigma machine, which the Germans thought were unbreakable.

"We have a duty to remind people just what the Polish cryptologists did," said Senator Piotr Zientarski.

http://www.telegraph...ecognition.html

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,172 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

The Nazi Germans thinking they were the best, special, was part of their downfall but there was a lot of different countries and people working against them.

#3    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

The Poles were indeed the first but then the Germans added more Rotor's making it more difficult and this was the version cracked by the British.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,648 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Wow! I had no idea there was a film called 'Enigma'. After taking my internet history class, that sounds like a movie I should try to find and watch.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 37,097 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

The Poles also would have been close second in building a digital computer would they not have been rudely interrupted by the Germans. Their research was part of the foundation for Turing's work that ultimately cracked the code.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Really. Who cares. It's a bit late for point scoring over which individual did what. Poland still got invaded and suffered horribly and Enigma cracking hastened what would have been inevitable anyway. As Arnold J Rimmer said. "History is written by the winners." Right after the bit about every major battle in history being won by the side with the shortest hair cuts... Move on Poland!

#7    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostChooky88, on 10 October 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Really. Who cares. It's a bit late for point scoring over which individual did what. Poland still got invaded and suffered horribly and Enigma cracking hastened what would have been inevitable anyway. As Arnold J Rimmer said. "History is written by the winners." Right after the bit about every major battle in history being won by the side with the shortest hair cuts... Move on Poland!
I think your being very Harsh my friend,the polish suffered very badly under the Nazi's and and also contributed massively to the British War effort.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#8    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,708 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I don't know if the Poles broke the Enigma Code but they broke my plumbing... ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 10 October 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#9    Magiclass

Magiclass

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

I notice noone came forth and said it was really them who first split the atom and made the first atom bomb! Looks  like Oppenheimer will have that stigma for all time!

Edited by Magiclass, 11 October 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 37,097 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostMagiclass, on 11 October 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

I notice noone came forth and said it was really them who first split the atom and made the first atom bomb! Looks  like Oppenheimer will have that stigma for all time!

Oppenheimer may have been the first to build a nuke, but hardly the first to split any atoms. That would go to Rutherford and Hahn.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Shadow 134. I know they suffered. By the Soviets as well as Nazis. Not my point but of we lived our lives seeking credit for good brave or charitable acts that was unrecognised but deserved we would he very unhappy people.

#12    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,811 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Turing broke the more complicated version, absolute genius

#13    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 11 October 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Oppenheimer may have been the first to build a nuke, but hardly the first to split any atoms. That would go to Rutherford and Hahn.
By the way you forgot the work of De Broglie; HelBronner; Fermi, Marie Curie born Maria Salomea Sklodowski.  Whereas the Poles, they fought both nazis and soviets, the firsts for 6 years the seconds for 63 years.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#14    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostParacelse, on 13 October 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

By the way you forgot the work of De Broglie; HelBronner; Fermi, Marie Curie born Maria Salomea Sklodowski.  Whereas the Poles, they fought both nazis and soviets, the firsts for 6 years the seconds for 63 years.

And you forgot Leó Szilárd. :rolleyes:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#15    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

View Postthe L, on 13 October 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

And you forgot Leó Szilárd. :rolleyes:

Mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa :(

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users