Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

God particle didnt deserve nobel prize?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

http://edition.cnn.c...sics/index.html

Serge Haroche of France and David Wineland of the United States will share the $1.2 million prize, the second of six Nobel Prizes announced this month.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

$1.2 mil pales in comparison with a lottery win, CEO's salary and many other things.. where is the incentive here?

...and this leads us to something called the 'God' particle?

i think i can see a trend here, ...i wonder if this makes sense to anyone else out there?

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#3    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

View Postunit, on 09 October 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

$1.2 mil pales in comparison with a lottery win, CEO's salary and many other things.. where is the incentive here?
The Nobel prize isn't about the money. People study physics (or chemistry, or medicine, or biology, or art for that matter) because it is their passion, not because they want to get rich quick. Winning the Nobel prize in physics is probably the highest honour a physicist can achieve.

View Postunit, on 09 October 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

...and this leads us to something called the 'God' particle?
The Higgs boson, yes. You may recall that it was discovered by the LHC earlier this year, and had been predicted by Peter Higgs (and 5 others) in the 1960s. In physics, predicting the existence of something new and then having that prediction verified is kinda a big thing.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,177 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Winning the Nobel Prize is more than the money, its the recognition.  Which will hold weight when wanting a grant or getting on a team of scientists working on something big.  Guarantees you your work won't be soon forgotten, at least not by everyone.

#5    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

The Higgs Boson is NOT confirmed yet. So why would they give a Nobel Prize for it? Yes they found out a lot more stuff along the way, but the Higgs itself is not yet fact, more testing needs to be done.

The Nobel Prize went to the right people and they can now use the money for more research towards the first real quantum computer. This will open the path towards getting closer to the singularity. This is major.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 37,146 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostRender, on 10 October 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

The Higgs Boson is NOT confirmed yet. So why would they give a Nobel Prize for it? Yes they found out a lot more stuff along the way, but the Higgs itself is not yet fact, more testing needs to be done.

The Nobel Prize went to the right people and they can now use the money for more research towards the first real quantum computer. This will open the path towards getting closer to the singularity. This is major.

You beat me to it. Though I had a discussion this morning with a bunch of retired physicists and they all would have put their money on the Higgs boson, where they did not mention the CERN team as likely candidates but all those who have foreseen it, which is not only Higgs.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

It also generally takes 5-10 years after something comes out for it to win a Prize.

The guys that won it this year did their work in the 90s if I'm not mistaken.

Well, unless you're Obama, then you get the Prize before you even do anything.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users