Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Are we the earliest intelligent species ?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#16    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

I can't wait till we discover a planet of people that are less techological advanced then us. Thats when humanties true colors will show.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#17    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,769 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

In a few thousand years, look at our progress, it would be quite realistic to suggest we may someday be able to leave this planet and populate others.

Right now the greatest danger to our survival is ourselves.

#18    squidboy

squidboy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 10 October 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

So no, we are not the first, we are not alone.

View PostBionic Bigfoot, on 10 October 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

We are DEFINITELY not the first or the earliest. :alien:

You both speak as if you have factual evidence of this. Yes might be unlikely we are the first, but that does not mean its not possible.

#19    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

View Postsquidboy, on 10 October 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

You both speak as if you have factual evidence of this. Yes might be unlikely we are the first, but that does not mean its not possible.

I'd say the only evidence that we do have supports the conclusion that life is likely the rule and not the exception.
It's far more likely that the lack of 'visitors' to our planet speaks to the limitations of technology and the rarity of intelligent species who dream of interstellar travel.
As I said in my first post.

#20    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,728 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostKazoo, on 10 October 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

I can't wait till we discover a planet of people that are less techological advanced then us. Thats when humanties true colors will show.

I think we did somewhat show our true colors when Europeans came to the Americas and took land from the natives and spread disease.
Same in Hawaii and Australia. Europeans were more advanced. Makes one wonder if a more advanced race then us will do the same.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism
can make you narrow minded to all possibilities no matter how unconventional.

#21    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hell no Humans are dumber than a box of rocks. We have raped mother earth to no ended.

#22    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 10 October 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

In a few thousand years, look at our progress, it would be quite realistic to suggest we may someday be able to leave this planet and populate others.

My one argument is that it has not taken a few thousand years, it has taken 4,5 Billion years to get to where we are. Countless times life would arise only to be beaten back by solar radiation, cometary impacts, and hostile atmospheres. No-one knows how many times "life" started only to be annihiliated soon after.

Imagine one mirror placed directly in front of another mirror, the reflected images getting ever smaller, diminishing in size until you have just a pinhole reflection, almost too small to be seen, and that is where Homo Sapien Sapiens finally arose. A vanishingly small probability for sentient life to arise, an incredible fluke of nature that we are here today.

Is the Galaxy full of sentient life? I doubt it, and Drake's Equation does not address the probabilities of it arising on Earth. We could, quite possibly, be alone in the Milky Way. We COULD be the first, we COULD be the only species to have negotiated an incredible 4,5 Billion year journey through ever decreasing circles of probability in the entire Galaxy.

This thought doesn't depress me, it just makes me ever more thankful that we have got to where we are.

Of course, whilst natural predators on humans have been reduced to almost zero, the real predadors of humanity, Organised Politics and Religion, will probably snuff out what we are, and deny our futures ...IMO

#23    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 10 October 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Interesting.
I have often wondered what life would be like today if we had never been plagued by warfare, but had always resolved conflict through diplomatic means.
Or, what about if disease was non-existant, and never had been?

How would this change the way we are today?

For one thing, there would be a helluva lot more people around I think.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#24    ShadowOfMothman

ShadowOfMothman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Location:All of time and space. Everything that ever happened or ever will.

• “There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick."
    ~ The Doctor

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

We're definitely not the only intelligent species in the cosmos. And I don't think that we're the only intelligent species in the Milky Way either. But even if we are, we'll certainly become extinct within the next hundreds or thousands of years. So, what difference does it make?

#25    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,271 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Are we the earliest intelligent species?

I don't know but its a great question and an interesting possibility. It would be amazing if that is the case, someone has to be the oldest.

If we are the earliest intelligent species one thing we need to do is start setting a better example.

Edited by Junior Chubb, 10 October 2012 - 07:38 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#26    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

We may not be alone, ET is keeping a very low profile, having studied our behavior. Apparently so are those who have come back from the future to study us / change history.

#27    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

So it would be like that movie "Planet 51" or whatever it's called if we traveled to another planet :P

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

#28    Itakethisname

Itakethisname

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

This question is around in science fiction for a while, are WE the Eldar Race.  No way to tell.  Good idea, though.  How long, how many stellar and biological generations does it take for Evolution, or God, to grow intelligence.

#29    GGGG

GGGG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

NO

#30    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,769 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 10 October 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

My one argument is that it has not taken a few thousand years, it has taken 4,5 Billion years to get to where we are. Countless times life would arise only to be beaten back by solar radiation, cometary impacts, and hostile atmospheres. No-one knows how many times "life" started only to be annihiliated soon after.

Imagine one mirror placed directly in front of another mirror, the reflected images getting ever smaller, diminishing in size until you have just a pinhole reflection, almost too small to be seen, and that is where Homo Sapien Sapiens finally arose. A vanishingly small probability for sentient life to arise, an incredible fluke of nature that we are here today.

Is the Galaxy full of sentient life? I doubt it, and Drake's Equation does not address the probabilities of it arising on Earth. We could, quite possibly, be alone in the Milky Way. We COULD be the first, we COULD be the only species to have negotiated an incredible 4,5 Billion year journey through ever decreasing circles of probability in the entire Galaxy.

This thought doesn't depress me, it just makes me ever more thankful that we have got to where we are.

Of course, whilst natural predators on humans have been reduced to almost zero, the real predadors of humanity, Organised Politics and Religion, will probably snuff out what we are, and deny our futures ...IMO
I do see where you are coming from, but you also have to consider our galaxy, the earth itself is also smaller than a grain of sand of the known universe, for all we know there could be universe clusters. We haven't any solid proof of any intelligent sentient life on other planets so the probability of such arising is hard to measure.

Yes, we could be the first but you also have to see the fraction us as human beings have been around for in the lifetime of the earth, barely a noticeable fraction at all.

The possibility that if there are any other intelligent beings out there that have been around longer than us, I believe is a good chance. A million years is not even a blink of an eye for the universe but imagine the difference it would make between us an them.

In 2000 years, in between times of stagnant progress, to two crippling world wars and of course the war of Bush. One that was in favour of companies is what really brought the world down a notch which is why we are in such a fragile state, politicians and religions are just being used as tools and a driving force to get what they want. This greed is what is going to destroy us if it continues.

But we went from riding horse drawn carriages to going into space in 2000 years... Who knows how we rank in terms of intelligence with other beings out there given they exist. But in another thousand who knows what we coil have achieved. Mainly in the last two hundred years we have come up with some of the most core inventions which allowed a huge amount of innovation.

If another alien life did even develop maybe a thousand or two years, imagine what level they'd be at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users