Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

More rights for homeowners against intruders

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

British homeowners are to be given more rights against intruders.

At the moment, homeowners are only allowed to use "proportionate" force against scum who enter their homes, but new Justice Secretary Chris Grayling is to raise the bar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-19879314

#2    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

This is not a good idea....when you're being robbed and are in that emotionally charged situation people can go overboard, not be in control of their actions. Robbery is wrong but no one deserves to get seriously injured or killed.

#3    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,064 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostBling, on 10 October 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

This is not a good idea....when you're being robbed and are in that emotionally charged situation people can go overboard, not be in control of their actions. Robbery is wrong but no one deserves to get seriously injured or killed.
I take it you have never been robbed or violated by a criminal have you? You almost make it sound like criminals in England are classy chaps that should not be interrupted while robbing you.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#4    Miss Shadows

Miss Shadows

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

• Welcome to my home. Now get the **** out.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostBling, on 10 October 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

I think it depends, on the other hand of what I think you're saying here, people have died at the hands of others who decided to invade their homes. There's no simple, clear-cut solution to a problem like this, but if Secretary Grayling is pressing legislation to help avoid prosecuting people who acted with honest intentions of self defense, I'm for that.

American with an accent, Christian with a tat, sociopath with a heart, child with no mother, Lover with no Lover, confidently doubting, amused but not laughing, woman but child, feisty yet caring, sweet when not bitter.

#5    Miss Shadows

Miss Shadows

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

• Welcome to my home. Now get the **** out.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 10 October 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

I take it you have never been robbed or violated by a criminal have you? You almost make it sound like criminals in England are classy chaps that should not be interrupted while robbing you.
I was with a friend in her home out of state one summer and she was out for one evening so it was just me, and I saw someone in the dark coming onto the property which was weird, because we were very set off from the nearest neighbors or any real roads. I had no idea who the person was and he wouldn't explain his business, and when I told him to stop he kept moving towards me and the house, so I fired a few shots into the dirt around his feet and he took off running in the other direction. If someone's broken in to your house, you can't stand there hoping for the best, or choosing that time of all the others to give another human being the benefit of the doubt. I'm sorry, but the half second you hesitate could be all an intruder needs to go ahead and cause you harm, or worse. Try asking yourself, between you and an unidentified person in your home, who's in the wrong and who has a right to assume the other has ill-intentions?

American with an accent, Christian with a tat, sociopath with a heart, child with no mother, Lover with no Lover, confidently doubting, amused but not laughing, woman but child, feisty yet caring, sweet when not bitter.

#6    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,064 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostScreamingSarcasm, on 10 October 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Try asking yourself, between you and an unidentified person in your home, who's in the wrong and who has a right to assume the other has ill-intentions?
Nicely said.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#7    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

The question remains: What is that person doing in you house?  Obviously, it can only be with bad intentions.  Your home is normally the only place where you can be safe and hide away from the world.  Where I live, if someone is in your house you shoot first en then ask questions.  Its' either shoot or be shot.  I do not see a reason that a homeowner cannot take force to protect what is his.  I am definitely not in favor of violence and killing but when it is to project yourself and your family, then my opinion is to do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe.

:tsu:

#8    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 10 October 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

That's not what I was implying, why don't you read it again? I'm entitled to my opinion.

#9    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'd shoot anyone who breaks into my home, aim for center mass, or if I'm fortunate and steady enough, the head. Break into my home, I feel threatened, I don't know what you'll do, so I'm gonna get rid of you.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#10    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

In the UK we don't have guns, so how are we supposed to confront the invaders? I reckon we'd come off worse as they would probably 'come equipped'.

#11    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostBling, on 10 October 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

In the UK we don't have guns, so how are we supposed to confront the invaders? I reckon we'd come off worse as they would probably 'come equipped'.
That's always seemed to be the problem with countries that don't allow law abiding citizens to purchase guns. If the criminals have 'access' to them, why not the general public? Heck, even the police don't have firearms. I understand that many people assume that gun violence would go up if they were legal and they may be right, but I'd rather even the odds then be caught in my underroos with just a baseball bat.

Edited by Hasina, 10 October 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#12    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostHasina, on 10 October 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

That's always seemed to be the problem with countries that don't allow law abiding citizens to purchase guns. If the criminals have 'access' to them, why not the general public? Heck, even the police don't have firearms. I understand that many people assume that gun violence would go up if they were legal and they may be right, but I'd rather even the odds then be caught in my underroos with just a baseball bat.

I would own a gun if I was legally allowed to, but the thought of getting 'caught up in the moment' and using it to kill someone abhors me - and that's why I think we have to be very careful. Killing or seriously injuring someone will have lasting effect on us, the victim, and not a good one.

I'd rather run out of the house with my loved ones and let them take what they want. I've been in a home when I was a child while someone broke in, it was terrifying. I ran out of the house and got a neighbour to call the police. The guy who broke in was my alcoholic step father :rolleyes:

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Missing the 'Banned' Wagon

• 4,731 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

This seems like a step in the right direction, well reinforcing what is already in place.

Talking about guns though, that sounds like a step in the wrong direction. This is about legislation in a country where guns are not commonplace...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,386 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Anyone caught breaking into my home would have to have a very good excuse to get out alive,and I dont own a firearm.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    smurf0852

smurf0852

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

we have alway had the right to protect ourselves using resonable force and very few people in the uk have ever been prosecuted for filling in an intruder.
this is just another sound bite to idiots of our society so they think the tories are cool.
i have been burgled twice and caught them both times .once by some tenenage tosser who i hurt quite a bit the other time was by an 8 year old who saw my window was open and wanted a playstation cos his mum couldnt afford one .
maybe i should have battered or even better shot him damn those kids who are so poor they have envy just shoot emm .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users