Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

DNA can't be recovered from dinosaurs

dinosaur dna

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,355 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Few researchers have given credence to claims that samples of dinosaur DNA have survived to the present day, but no one knew just how long it would take for genetic material to fall apart. Now, a study of fossils found in New Zealand is laying the matter to rest — and putting paid to hopes of cloning a Tyrannosaurus rex.

After cell death, enzymes start to break down the bonds between the nucleotides that form the backbone of DNA, and micro-organisms speed the decay. In the long run, however, reactions with water are thought to be responsible for most bond degradation. Groundwater is almost ubiquitous, so DNA in buried bone samples should, in theory, degrade at a set rate.

http://www.nature.co...lf-life-1.11555

Posted Image

#2    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 10 October 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

— and putting paid to hopes of cloning a Tyrannosaurus rex.

Like we needed another killer on our planet :rolleyes:  Didn't they learn anything from the Jurassic Park films? :)

#3    ShadowBoy86x

ShadowBoy86x

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

I hunt dinosaurs for a living, i can drop a t-rex with 2 shots of a .22, and no i wont tell you how I do it either, trick of the trade. B)

#4    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Didn't we already know this? Which is why that guy spoke about the choicken DNA and changing parts to create a dinosaur?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#5    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostBling, on 10 October 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Like we needed another killer on our planet :rolleyes:  Didn't they learn anything from the Jurassic Park films? :)

Lol.. It's a known thing that DNA can't be recovered from Dinosaurs. Just for example, even though if they did clone a prehistoric animal successfully..They will kill it again.

#6    ShadowOfMothman

ShadowOfMothman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Location:All of time and space. Everything that ever happened or ever will.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

I thought we already knew non-avian dinosaur cloning is impossible...
Now, our only hope is Bakker and his "Chickenosaurus".

Edited by ShadowOfMothman, 10 October 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,730 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Neither shocking nor surprising: one thing is the conservation of chemical compounds and quite another the conservation of biochemical compounds, sounds like the same but biochemistry is inherently unstable, else our whole ecology would cease to work.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,521 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

As we are always being told, the size of the sample is extremely relevant to the findings. A small sample, from an extremely restricted area just adds evidence, not proof.

Now, if the main determinant, as suggested in the article, is "ubiquitous" ground water then the search needs to move to highly arid, almost anaerobic, preservation sites. This would add confirmation to their results. Certainly there is viable DNA from Mammoths (c10,000yrs old) discovered in Siberian permafrost. So, a "Half - Life" for DNA of 521 yrs seems to be hopelessly inaccurate. Just IMO

#9    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I would hope that 'DNA can't be recovered from dinosaurs' does not mean that 'dinosaur DNA can't be recovered'...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 10 October 2012 - 08:02 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#10    Parsec

Parsec

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 10 October 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

I would hope that 'DNA can't be recovered from dinosaurs' does not mean that 'dinosaur DNA can't be recovered'...

Indeed, in Jurassic Park they recovered from mosquitos in amber ;)
If you think about it, it's incredible: we don't have dinosaurs bone, we have statues. They're exactly replicas, but what we see is not what walked alive on earth

#11    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

well that settles it. onto other projects then...

#12    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

They died off for a reason.

#13    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostParsec, on 11 October 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Indeed, in Jurassic Park they recovered from mosquitos in amber ;)
If you think about it, it's incredible: we don't have dinosaurs bone, we have statues. They're exactly replicas, but what we see is not what walked alive on earth

Poor replicas at best. For years we thought these animals dragged their tails on the ground, now we believe their tails are cantilevered counterbalances to offset the weight of long necks or giant heavy heads and jaws. There was the thought that the flying reptiles such as Pteranodons had to launch off mountainsides to get airborne, we now speculate they walked on all fours and folded their wings behind them and then "leapt" into the air much like a vampire bat does. We known almost nothing of their coloration despite a few fossilized skin pieces; were they cryptic or flamboyantly colored, drab grey like alligators or some tortoises or brilliant like tropical birds or coral reef fish? We no virtually nothing of their behavior; while we can tell a carnivore from a herbivore by their dentation, even that is not foolproof; the modern flying fox is a fruit eater, but from it's teeth one could mistake it for a carnivore. We know some made nests for their eggs, but animals also court, mate, care for or abandon their offsprings, interact with other species, have various ways of defending themselves, have food preferences, may or may not spend large amounts of time in water, may or may not be adapted for life in deserts, etc. The really sad thing is there is much more that we will never know about dinosaurs from looking at a pile of bones.

#14    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well. We can in the future manipulate DNA to make pseudo dinosaurs. I feel sorry for the chicken that lays the Dino egg!

#15    TheGreatBeliever

TheGreatBeliever

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

• Nanotech!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

Have always hoped for technology to get there but now...  : (

Also tagged with dinosaur dna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users