Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Visitors swim with baby tigers at Florida zoo

baby tigers florida zoo dade city’s wild things

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,607 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

A private zoo in Florida is charging visitors $200 to spend a half hour swimming and playing with baby tigers.

Dade City’s Wild Things, which is located outside of Tampa, Florida, advertises its new money-making attraction as ‘an amazing encounter’ that includes ‘playing in the grass, bottle time and swim time,’ according to its website.

The zoo charges an additional $10 for anyone that wants watch the encounter. The price includes a CD with photos and videos of the experience ‘including action shots and posed shots in the water with your cub,’ according to the website.

Animal rights activists condemn the zoo’s practice of charging visitors for access to the animals, calling it abusive and dangerous to the animals’ health.

http://www.dailymail...-half-hour.html

Posted Image

#2    GhostHunterChickx

GhostHunterChickx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 10 October 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

A private zoo in Florida is charging visitors $200 to spend a half hour swimming and playing with baby tigers.

Dade City’s Wild Things, which is located outside of Tampa, Florida, advertises its new money-making attraction as ‘an amazing encounter’ that includes ‘playing in the grass, bottle time and swim time,’ according to its website.

The zoo charges an additional $10 for anyone that wants watch the encounter. The price includes a CD with photos and videos of the experience ‘including action shots and posed shots in the water with your cub,’ according to the website.

Animal rights activists condemn the zoo’s practice of charging visitors for access to the animals, calling it abusive and dangerous to the animals’ health.

http://www.dailymail...-half-hour.html

I would say this is harmful to both human and Tigers....I thought zoos were supposed to support animals natural behavior as much as possible?
And charging for this is disgusting, they obviously are only doing it to make a quick buck!!!
We used to visit a rescue sanctuary where you could have a photo with 2 domesticated wolves, I was a bit wary but they seem just like big dogs.... they were rescued from abroad where they were keeping them as pets from tiny pups :-( The sanctuary rescues old and unwanted animals and uses the money to pay for their care. Which I fully support x

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,120 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I have mixed feelings about this kind of thing.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I passed this on to some animal rights buddies and they where shocked.  You could see the baby tiger shriving in the water and trying to get out and they put it back in.    I think the tiger poop is going hit the fan.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

This is out and out cruelty. Surely it's not good for the cubs to forced to swim in a chlorine filled swimming pool? Sure some tigers like water, but in there natural habitat.

#6    GhostHunterChickx

GhostHunterChickx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Totally agree...this shouldn't be done!!!

#7    GhostHunterChickx

GhostHunterChickx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

ooooh and the best bit is the quote at the end!!!
The zoo also offers swimming lessons with alligators whose mouths are taped shut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users