Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama’s Elmo O.J. Simpson joke

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

http://washingtonexa...15#.UHWpxq4f4YQ

Nobody seems to be reacting to this in the press. Does this comment seem kind of ****ed-up or am I the only one who doesn't think double homocide isn't really that funny?

Pretty hilarious, got any Trayvon Martin jokes?

I hope my kid hears "Elmo" mentioned in the news and asks what the President is talking about. That will be a Kodak moment. Very classy.

Edited by Vein Capital, 10 October 2012 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

#2    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Meh, kind of a lame job but I'm not seeing the outrage. Of course given the other articles on the website I think they're a tad bias. :P

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#3    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'm sure he didnt mean for it to come out that way but yeah that was bad. personally this whole seame street thing is ridiculus. Just stick to what is important. You know how about hammer the hard questions like how is Romney going to reduce the debt by 5 trillion dollars without cutting anything major or raising taxes?

footnote. Not a fan of either one, it's like watching a turd fight a douche. (credit southpark)

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#4    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,437 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Big deal.  A 20 second snippet of a sound bite.  It's just a joke (and a lame one at that).

It's this sort of knee jerk reaction that causes much of the public to steer clear of any meaningful political discourse.

#5    Big Jim

Big Jim

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

To me it shows the pop culture orientation of the President.  More serious matters are ignored while appealing to the lowest common denominator, like avoiding world leaders in New York in order to appear on The View.  The reference to O.J. Simpson could open up a racial can of worms.  Surely if one does decide to make a joke about Elmo an analogy could be used that doesn't refer to a 20 year old incident that divided the nation along racial lines.  Quite odd for a person who described himself as a uniter, not a divider.
The issue he's trying to refer to involves decisions over the details of government spending.  The initial reference in the debate provided a needed light hearted moment during an otherwise serious discussion.  To still be invoking the characters instead of addressing the real issue is like telling the same joke over and over until its not funny anymore.

#6    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,776 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Tasteless joke, but please correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Elmo found 'not guilty' of the murder of Big Bird?  Remeber Johnny Cochran saying 'if the puppet dont fit, you must acquit'.

#7    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,437 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostBig Jim, on 10 October 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

To me it shows the pop culture orientation of the President.  More serious matters are ignored while appealing to the lowest common denominator, like avoiding world leaders in New York in order to appear on The View.  The reference to O.J. Simpson could open up a racial can of worms.  Surely if one does decide to make a joke about Elmo an analogy could be used that doesn't refer to a 20 year old incident that divided the nation along racial lines.  Quite odd for a person who described himself as a uniter, not a divider.
The issue he's trying to refer to involves decisions over the details of government spending.  The initial reference in the debate provided a needed light hearted moment during an otherwise serious discussion.  To still be invoking the characters instead of addressing the real issue is like telling the same joke over and over until its not funny anymore.

I understand what you are saying here, but again, this is a 20 second clip out of a political stump speech.

It's not telling the same joke over and over to the same crowd.  He's addressing different crowds, doing the same 'stump' each time.  That's how they all do it.

I just think people looking to be offended are going to find offense.

#8    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Tasteless, like any bile a politician says.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#9    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Doesn't bother me in the least.

#10    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,732 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Makes him look small and it must piss off his supporters that this is what he comes back with after having his as handed to him in the debate.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#11    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Obama does not at all seem to care about becoming president. He's just doing whatever he wants now.

A more "human" and less "faceless politician" approach possibly?

I don't find it offensive in the least. I don't think its funny. But I also think Holocaust jokes are okay. I don't think cultural standings and peoples uptight opinions should prevent people from a simple laugh.

Edited by Kazoo, 10 October 2012 - 07:43 PM.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#12    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,732 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostKazoo, on 10 October 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

Obama does not at all seem to care about becoming president. He's just doing whatever he wants now.

No, he may not like the job of President but he LOVES being the President.  The big airplane, the cars, being the center of attention all the time.  He is quite possibly the laziest man to ever serve in that office but he sure does love the perks

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#13    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

that's a pretty baseless remark. Or have you had lunch with the man and discerned this about him?

#14    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,732 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 10 October 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

that's a pretty baseless remark. Or have you had lunch with the man and discerned this about him?

I can read the guys daily schedule on-line and it is ridiculously light.  I can count how many games of golf he has played and have paid for his and his wife's countless vacations.  I can read what legislators say about the man and his working hours, or lak thereof.  I also know that he has held more fundraisers and done more campaigning than any president in history.   When you are on the stump, partying with snoop and JZ, visiting the view and talking to Jay you ain't working on the innumerable problems this country is suffering with.

How does that sit with you? ^_^

#15    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

why don't you do a comparison of all that with GW's vacation schedule and show us the results. throw clinton and bush SR in there too.

Here's something from august, 20111:

http://www.cbsnews.c...2-20093801.html

So far, President Obama has taken 61 vacation days after 31 months in office. At this point in their presidencies, George W. Bush had spent 180 days at his ranch where his staff often joined him for meetings. And Ronald Reagan had taken 112 vacation days at his ranch.
Among recent presidents, Bill Clinton took the least time off -- 28 days.
To be fair, a presidential vacation away from the White House is not the same as a vacation for the average person. The president is still in contact with his advisers and on call for any emergency.

also know that he has held more fundraisers and done more campaigning than any president in history.

You're going to have to show some data to support that. If you choose to do so in amount of money raised, you'll have to show a comparison in today's dollars, as well as the relation to the amount of money raised by romney and the past presidents vs. their challengers. otherwise your personal observations mean little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users