Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Alien & time travel

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    VvROMULUSvV

VvROMULUSvV

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

No doubt the speed of light cannot be broken.

"thou shalt not exceed the speed of light!"

That said though, i see no reason why an advanced civilisation could not utilise the folding of space/time and by pass this critical law. After all, the universe itself is expanding faster than light (under different circumstances of course - it's expanding into non space/time etc..)

Everyone should read 'A Universe from Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss to gain a basic (or complex!) understanding of the mechanics of the universe.

#17    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostQuaentum, on 12 October 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

The short answer...NO

The long answer...Space ships can not move faster than light.  As the velocity of an object closes in on the speed of light it gains mass.  The greater the mass, the greater the gravity an object has.  If an object were to reach the speed of light it would have infinite mass making it, for lack of a better term, a black hole.  The occupants would be crushed by the gravity.

Is that Theory?

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#18    manz

manz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 13 October 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

It is my belief that the Laws talked about here are man's laws. not nature's laws   in it's truest form nature is a ballence. ( when man isn't around to eff it up)  what goes up must come down, life is followed by death and death feeds the life around it, summer is eventually followed by winter and  winter is eventually followed by summer.  Using this ballence as my unproveable defense, Time cannot go forward if something isn't going backwards.

I hope  time travel is real and will soon be available whether by faster than light speed or electromagnetic wormholes because  i would like to some day go back in time and see woodstock, i was to young the first time.

I do feel its real and quiet possible , one more doubt is where will you feel your consciousness your present or future or past, if u happen to look at your past its just like another entity -so it makes it more confusing as in relation to which one is real

#19    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostMisstreeDove, on 13 October 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

I remember a science teacher of mine said it was impossible to time travel into the future because it doesn't exist...and if it did, would it constantly be changing due to our actions? Are there a million futures based on what we do to change it? How can we know which one we'll end up into, and due to the action of time traveling, will that future change too? Can you change what future you'll travel to?

Confusing. :unsure2:

There is a theory of physics that says the future is impossible to go to because it simply hasn't happened yet and it's not carved in stone. Changes and choices here in this time effect it's outcome, which makes sense. However travel from the future to the past would be possible because it's happened and is defined. However there's a bit of a glitch so to speak and that has to do with position. The Earth rotates and at the same time orbits a star which is moving through space. So it isn't just time but position in space as well, If you simply go back in time without compensating for all those constants then you could find yourself hanging in space.

#20    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostMisstreeDove, on 13 October 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

Yeah. There are practically hundreds if not thousands of paradoxes than can happen due to time travel. To try to explain just one paradox:

If you travel back into the past, what if you meet yourself? What would past-you do? What would present-you do? What if past-you decides not to time travel? What happens to present-you? Will you cease to exist? And we've mentioned that technically, the future doesn't exist. So would the future not exist for past-you? Then how would present-you exist? Would present-you simply not exist? Will there be a million present-you's from a million futures? Is the future for past-you the same for present-you? What if you interact? Would this change the future for past-you? Would if change the future for present-you? How would the future change? Would present-you change? What if present-you does cease to exist? How does that effect past-you? Would past-you cease to exist too? Would all of the you's cease to exist from the timeline?

Wow. My brain is trying to escape from my skull.

Not to mention the grandfather paradox, saying if you go into the past and kill your grandfather before he met your grandmother what would happen to you, because if they never met they never had your mother who had you. Its kind of like Doctor Who said “People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.”   :tu: :tu:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#21    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, everyone talks about the Granfather paradox like it's a forgone conclusion that if you go back in time you have to kill your granfather.

......but seriously, why would you do that?

#22    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 15 October 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Yeah, everyone talks about the Granfather paradox like it's a forgone conclusion that if you go back in time you have to kill your granfather.

......but seriously, why would you do that?

I think its just used to explain some of the things that could happen, why you would kill your grandfather I have no Idea. :tu:

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#23    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

simple Senario

Accidents happen, you get in a car wreck and the other driver is killed, or a chariot accident and the other driver is killed
there are two theories and no one knows which is correct or if either are correct
1) in said accident you kill someone be it truely an accident  or intentional and there by change the future from that point on.
   OR
2) you are suppost to go back, have the accident, and kill someone But when you go back, somehow you manage to avoid the accident no one dies and therefore you change the history you know into something you don't know if you go back what has already happened and therefore must happen so that nothing will change, and what has Not happened and cannot happen without changing everything, most people perfer to use the grandfather version as a warning. when in truth you cannot know what will happen until it has happened and you have gone back to when you came from to check it out, of course by then it is to late and the paradox is in effect ( if you killed your grandfather in that accident.... is therefore thought to be the best way to warn people not to mess with time. )

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 15 October 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#24    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 15 October 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

simple Senario

Accidents happen, you get in a car wreck and the other driver is killed, or a chariot accident and the other driver is killed
there are two theories and no one knows which is correct or if either are correct
1) in said accident you kill someone be it truely an accident  or intentional and there by change the future from that point on.
       OR
2) you are suppost to go back, have the accident, and kill someone But when you go back, somehow you manage to avoid the accident no one dies and therefore you change the history you know into something you don't know if you go back what has already happened and therefore must happen so that nothing will change, and what has Not happened and cannot happen without changing everything, most people perfer to use the grandfather version as a warning. when in truth you cannot know what will happen until it has happened and you have gone back to when you came from to check it out, of course by then it is to late and the paradox is in effect ( if you killed your grandfather in that accident.... is therefore thought to be the best way to warn people not to mess with time. )
Very well said

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users