Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

European Union takes the Nobel Peace Prize

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 October 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

It is always the evil world bank and the US, the European imperialists and what have you. Some of those nations are independent for almost a century now and the only thing that grew there is rampant graft, theft and corruption. In fact, even countries that were a bright example in colonial and post-colonial times now are the poor house of the continent, see Zimbabwe.

I am tired of everybody pointing the fingers at those who keep them alive. Because without them they would be hunting gnus again.

All I'm saying is I do not think they deserve a Nobel Peace Prize...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#17    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,976 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 12 October 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

All I'm saying is I do not think they deserve a Nobel Peace Prize...

I don't think so either, it should have gone to those who made the EU possible and are still alive (can't remember dead person ever getting it), not to those who live of their sweat. Just as I think that Obama should not have gotten it but the American people for being democratic enough to vote for a black prezz.

But I am not in the committee, and even if I were: nobody ever listens to me.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#18    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

A well earned prize for the Glorious European Union.
To all the nay-sayers and whining euro-sceptics I simply say:
SUCK ON IT, BATCHES!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  :clap:

#19    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 12 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

A well earned prize for the Glorious European Union.
To all the nay-sayers and whining euro-sceptics I simply say:
SUCK ON IT, BATCHES!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  :clap:

Obama got one too...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#20    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 12 October 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Obama got one too...

Not this year ;)

...Because....
It went to....
THE EU!

#21    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

I was disgusted when I learned this.. IMO, the Nobel peace prise has been taken over by TPTB.

Anyone who earned a nobel peace prise prior to Obama seems to have worked hard for humanity and deserved it.. Anyone Post obama does not..

The European union? FFS!!
An organisation that is essentially a hierarchy that enforces their will upon people does not deserve a prize!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! :devil:

Edited by Professor T, 12 October 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#22    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,147 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

I don't think so either, it should have gone to those who made the EU possible and are still alive (can't remember dead person ever getting it), not to those who live of their sweat. Just as I think that Obama should not have gotten it but the American people for being democratic enough to vote for a black prezz.

Well, you know how the sayings goes, " a camel is a racehorse designed by a committee "  & this decision pretty much confirms it.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#23    Parsec

Parsec

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hurray, I won my first Nobel Prize!

Technically we Europeans form the EU, so we all won the Nobel!
Greetings to my fellow Europeans :lol:

View Poststevewinn, on 12 October 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

i agree,

the reasons for why they give the EU the award makes me laugh. democracy and peace. for start democracy and EU dont even belong in the same sentence. as for peace in europe. since the end of WW2 the lasting peace is thanks to keeping Germany under the thumb. thanks to having allied forces stationed in Germany. and praise has to go the United States of America for the lasting peace and the formation of NATO.

But in true EU style they'll try and claim anything. in truth the EU as achieved nothing. all the EU is, is a club of mickey mouse countries led by Germany and their terrified 'please dont invade' neighbour France. the rest of us are just tagging on behind, going through the motions.

Sure Europe has a past of bloody wars, but not unlike any other present Nation. And we have to thanks more Churchill for NATO (aren't you British?), rather than the US.
So, you say that it's only because Germany has been squeezed down in the last decades, if we can still breath freely. Fair enough.
You also state that's all thanks to the allied forces stationed in Germany. And then you define France scared to death by Germany (tell De Gaule that :lol: )
Do you know that West Berlin was split in three Sectors, the American, the British and the Frence? Weird, isn't it?
To me your reasoning is a bit racist towards Germany: it looks like as if they can't be left alone, otherwise the start immediately a war.

democracy EU style wrong outcome - vote again until desired result. like witnessed in the referendum votes, the Dutch said No the French said NO the Irish said NO, and what happened they carried on regardless. if people who truly believe in democracy cannot whats happening then my god, no wonder countries sleep walk into disasters. [...]

Unfortunately, it's quite the opposite. The voting system you're referring to (and that's the most bourocratical and impratical system to me) is the real democratic way of voting, since it doesn't take account of the majority of the votes, but it counts ALL the votes: if we have to decide something, it's not enough that 6 on 10 say "yes", all of them have to say so. If only one disagrees, then it goes for "no".
That's the reason why Europe pressed Ireland so much.

Then move onto Greece and Italy their leaders removed from office and two pro EU apparatchiks now head these countries governments forcing through the EU's will. people should remember how the Greek primeminister then George Papandreou was forced from office with pressure from German and French leaders. next Italy, we now have mario monti as Italian primeminister a former EU commissioner, and it goes on and on, both Greek and Italian governments brought to power to resolve a 'debt crisis' in truth both previous governments were not towing the EU line so were removed by the forces within.

I can't speak for Greece (maybe questionmark can), but as far as regards Italy, our problems with our former PM and Government unfortunately were much deeper and vaster than that. We did need someone able to help the Nation not sink. Surely Mario Monti is very connected to the European Organs, and maybe, as you infer, he's a puppet in their hands, but we didn't have any other choice and he's for sure light years better that his predecessor.
Anyway, we're still trying to understand if he's really helping us not sinking or if he's pushing our heads underwater :lol:

View Postquestionmark, on 12 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Well, to me it shouldn't have to go to any of those you mentioned.
The Nobel should go to a person, not an entity, and surely not to someone who "potentially" could do great things.
Heck, they didn't even awarded Ghandi!

#24    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,766 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

Who gets the cash?  Does everyone get a cut?   :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#25    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Congratulations on getting involved in wars not on your own land! http://en.wikipedia...._European_Union

(And I by no means think the US is better or anything, in actuality no one deserves a peace prize ever.)

Posted Image

~MEH~

#26    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,131 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

hmmmm.... the EU stole from the people to bail out money junkies who made bad bets created by few in each Nation and it is awarded a global peace prize for saving itself in return....  lol... haha.... I beginning to think Nobel spelled backwards actually reads Orwell.

Edited by acidhead, 13 October 2012 - 03:26 AM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#27    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,976 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

View Postand then, on 13 October 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

Who gets the cash?  Does everyone get a cut?   :w00t:

The vile, monstrous and for world dominance mongering European Commission!

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#28    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 October 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

Lets see 30 years war, 1680
Seven years war 1756
Napoleonic wars 1808
Hereditary enemity wars 1870
First WW 1914
Sewcond WW 1939

And that only what happened between France and Germany, we have not yet included the wars between Germany and Austria, France and Austria, France and Italy, Austria and Italy, Germany and Denmark, Germany and Sweden and Spain and Holland, Britain against all and whathaveyou.

It is pretty evident that the EU is a major peace forming organization in Europe.

Its a complete joke.

A little look at history shows the 'EU' has been attempted several times before under different names. Each time it failed because the politicians couldnt force their people to accept it and then when a recession came along they lacked the means to deal with it. Every single time it failed it triggered Europes next round of major wars.

All because some deluded freemason types in government want to recreate the Roman Empire so the second coming can happen. WW3 will come when nations start defaulting on their debts.

#29    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostHasina, on 13 October 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

Congratulations on getting involved in wars not on your own land! http://en.wikipedia...._European_Union

(And I by no means think the US is better or anything, in actuality no one deserves a peace prize ever.)
Wars? Have you read the list? These are mostly military operations which did not involve any fighting.

#30    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

While you read here's some music to listen to:

Never has an award been more well earned.
From the official Nobel prize website: http://www.nobelprize.org/

"The Nobel Peace Prize for 2012
The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2012 is to be awarded to the European Union (EU). The union and its forerunners have for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe.
In the inter-war years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee made several awards to persons who were seeking reconciliation between Germany and France. Since 1945, that reconciliation has become a reality. The dreadful suffering in World War II demonstrated the need for a new Europe. Over a seventy-year period, Germany and France had fought three wars. Today war between Germany and France is unthinkable. This shows how, through well-aimed efforts and by building up mutual confidence, historical enemies can become close partners.
In the 1980s, Greece, Spain and Portugal joined the EU. The introduction of democracy was a condition for their membership. The fall of the Berlin Wall made EU membership possible for several Central and Eastern European countries, thereby opening a new era in European history. The division between East and West has to a large extent been brought to an end; democracy has been strengthened; many ethnically-based national conflicts have been settled.
The admission of Croatia as a member next year, the opening of membership negotiations with Montenegro, and the granting of candidate status to Serbia all strengthen the process of reconciliation in the Balkans. In the past decade, the possibility of EU membership for Turkey has also advanced democracy and human rights in that country.
The EU is currently undergoing grave economic difficulties and considerable social unrest. The Norwegian Nobel Committee wishes to focus on what it sees as the EU's most important result: the successful struggle for peace and reconciliation and for democracy and human rights. The stabilizing part played by the EU has helped to transform most of Europe from a continent of war to a continent of peace.

The work of the EU represents "fraternity between nations", and amounts to a form of the "peace congresses" to which Alfred Nobel refers as criteria for the Peace Prize in his 1895 will.
Oslo, 12 October 2012"

Edited by Atlantia, 13 October 2012 - 11:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users