Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Link between BPA and thyroid hormone changes

bpa thyroid hormone changes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 17 October 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

You've only seen posts from me with mercola ? You lead a very sheltered life then,considering I've posted dozens that have no mention of him ,whatsoever .
I actually got this in my inbox ,same time this thread was posted ,so it seemed appropriate .

Every health-related one I've seen. Sorry if I don't follow you around, reading your every word. :rolleyes:

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#17    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,775 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

I realize that. I put it in there to add to the BPA research.

When you have breast cancer that is related to estrogen levels, the Dr.s do their best to eliminate estrogen from the body as much as possible. Now they are thinking that some cancers are indeed estrogen-initiated. In somoe cancers, estrogen may well be helpful.
We are still discovering hormones. We are still discovering how hormones react to one another.
An orchestra requires many different instruments, all working together and independently to create profound depths of music. I think it is the same way with hormones.

Once we have discovered everything there is to know about hormones, perhaps a hundred years down the road, then they will work on how each unique individual differs hormonally from one another, and how we differ at different stages of life and how we differ with each other at that age too.
It is safe to say that we double our medical knowledge of the human body every three to five years. What we think now will not be what we think five years down the road.
There is a lot of fine-tuning going on. All hail to science.

While we do know, at this point in time, that BPA passes downn from generation to generation, what will the effects of that be? You cannot know. I cannot know. Time will be our guide.
But we do KNOW that BPA is not a part of homeostasis.

View PostCybele, on 17 October 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

The second article doesn't mention the thyroid because it isn't related to thyroid disruption, or the first article. It's a case study of an individual taken from a cohort which assesses the association between high BPA in the mother and neuro-developmental problems in an infant (ie BPA as a potential neurotoxicant). Case studies are often considered by epidemiologists to be interesting starting points for further research, and useful in that regard, but they are at the very bottom of the totem-pole in terms of scientific rigor.

Notice that your article repeatedly refers to BPA as "estrogenic". This means that it mimics estrogen, as do many man-made compounds and plants such as soy. I'm not a doctor, nor do I claim extensive knowledge in endocrinology, but my understanding is that compounds which mimic endogenous hormones due to their physical structure interact with cells in the same way as the real hormones would, just as certain drugs are able to affect the brain by mimicking neurotransmitters. I don't know why a compound which binds to estrogen receptors would be more likely to affect the thyroid as well. I don't have a sense of the endocrine system working that way. The research on a BPA/thyroid connection seems preliminary.

http://www.igb.illin...genic-compounds

Edited by regeneratia, 18 October 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users