Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Jihadists seize missile base

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Ynetnews said:

Videos posted online Friday, apparently shot inside air defense base near Aleppo, show fighters linked to al-Qaeda participating in overnight battle, inspecting lines of large missiles.

Anti-regime activists say jihadist fighters linked to al-Qaeda fought with rebels to capture a Syrian military air defense base near Aleppo.

Videos posted online Friday apparently shot inside the base say Jabhat al-Nusra participated in the overnight battle for the base. The videos show fighters inspecting lines of large missiles.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,958 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

It will be interesting to see if government forces destroy this base or just attempt to recapture it.  I wonder if there is a supply of manpads there?  When the army gets beaten down enough that this kind of assault happens on a base with chemical weapons the crap will really hit the fan.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I hope it doesn't turn into all out war between several countries.  It does seem to be progressing towards that.

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostHilander, on 12 October 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

I hope it doesn't turn into all out war between several countries.  It does seem to be progressing towards that.

If you let a conflict simmer without intervening (even if only supporting one side), at the end you always will have a bigger conflict.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 October 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

If you let a conflict simmer without intervening (even if only supporting one side), at the end you always will have a bigger conflict.
This is one where there are NO good guys from the pov of the West.  No matter who wins, we lose.  But the rebels absolutely must not be allowed to capture and disperse the Sarin or VX.  Full scale war if necessary but they cannot be allowed to squirrel away that stuff for use at a time and place of their choosing.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

View Postand then, on 12 October 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

This is one where there are NO good guys from the pov of the West.  No matter who wins, we lose.  But the rebels absolutely must not be allowed to capture and disperse the Sarin or VX.  Full scale war if necessary but they cannot be allowed to squirrel away that stuff for use at a time and place of their choosing.

Then lets hear your brilliant idea to stop them.

about me

#7    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,608 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 October 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

if the US etc stopped helping Al Qaeda gain power in Syria...that would be a step in the right direction....

Posted Image

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 October 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Forces like JSOC operators and support are already in Jordan and probably coordinating with the Israelis in case this comes about.  The locations of most of the stuff seems to be known so when the bases are in danger of falling I suspect you will hear the news that we have entered the fray.  As to stopping it - it shouldn't be too difficult if the intel is timely.  The rebels and Syrian army are not real professionals.  It only gets nasty if the rebels or Syrian army decide to actually USE the chem/bio.  Then it becomes scary, fast.  To their credit, the Assad crowd appreciate this truth and are trying to move the stuff to ever more secure locations.  They KNOW what happens in the aftermath of a rebel victory over one of those locations.

eta that I don't mean to imply there would be no cost.  We will lose troops in such a conflict and possibly many of them.  Some dangers are worth the risk and THIS is one of them.

Edited by and then, 12 October 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#9    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,255 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

View Postbee, on 12 October 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

if the US etc stopped helping Al Qaeda gain power in Syria...that would be a step in the right direction....

It would still happen no matter who is involved. You get different types of terrorists, heck there is even a christian terrorist group fighting Assad!
You are taking side with Iran who does not care about women's rights, if you lived in Iran or Afghanistan, they would put you away or kill you, whether in the US, they won't

#10    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,255 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

View Postbee, on 12 October 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

You only know 30% of whats going on, you posted a youtube video of someones opinion. If this was ww2 then Id say you support Nazi Germany

#11    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,608 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 12 October 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

It would still happen no matter who is involved. You get different types of terrorists, heck there is even a christian terrorist group fighting Assad!
You are taking side with Iran who does not care about women's rights, if you lived in Iran or Afghanistan, they would put you away or kill you, whether in the US, they won't

excuse me.....where did I mention Iran?

If there wasn't outside interference this whole thing wouldn't be happening like it is in Syria (like Libya before)

can you say.....regime change....?

But why the West would rather have Al Qaeda affiliated Islamists running Syria...rather than Assad...

is a complete mystery... :angry:

edit.......are you suggesting that removing Assad was a 'necessary' step before attacking Iran?

That they are going to try and hand Iran over to the Al Qaeda affiliated Islamists AS WELL.

Edited by bee, 12 October 2012 - 09:49 PM.

Posted Image

#12    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,608 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 12 October 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

You only know 30% of whats going on, you posted a youtube video of someones opinion. If this was ww2 then Id say you support Nazi Germany

good job it isn't WW2 then isn't it.....

I don't follow your logic....what ARE you going on about...?

Posted Image

#13    captain pish

captain pish

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

He might only know 30% percent but that 30% is a fact. The west is supplying arms to al Qaida, doesn't matter about the other 70% he doesn't know. It's pretty damn obvious what is going on in Syria youve gotta be blind or stupid not to realise that the public has been duped by the whole middle east BS. It only adds up to one thing. Al Qaida was and is being handled and orchestrated by the west.

#14    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,608 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

View Postcaptain pish, on 12 October 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

He might only know 30% percent but that 30% is a fact. The west is supplying arms to al Qaida, doesn't matter about the other 70% he doesn't know. It's pretty damn obvious what is going on in Syria youve gotta be blind or stupid not to realise that the public has been duped by the whole middle east BS. It only adds up to one thing. Al Qaida was and is being handled and orchestrated by the west.

errrrrrr captain........'he'.......lol

If the West think they are handling Al Qaeda...I think they (we) are in for a shock.

edit to emphasise IF..

Who is handling who?

:unsure2:

Edited by bee, 12 October 2012 - 10:12 PM.

Posted Image

#15    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

The only people that need to be scared is the Syrian Air Force.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users