Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A platoon awaits end of Afghan war

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,791 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Washington Post said:

JAGHATU, Afghanistan — The platoon sergeant poses a simple question to the men of 3rd Platoon: “What do you consider success on a mission?”

There is an uneasy silence in the dark chow tent. In a few months, the U.S. Army will bulldoze its portion of the base, part of America’s slow withdrawal of combat forces from Afghanistan. All that will remain here in this isolated place is a small Afghan army camp and a mostly empty government building with a mortar hole in its roof, the sum total of 11 years of U.S. counterinsurgency efforts in this district 65 miles south of Kabul.

Sgt. Gary M. Waugh, a soldier on his second Afghan tour, takes a stab at answering the question. “Us not doing a thing,” he says. “Not firing our weapon.”

A few of the soldiers rest their chins on the butts of their rifles. A diesel generator drones in the background as the platoon sergeant surveys his men.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,995 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

Bet they can't wait for it to get out of there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users