Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Agnostic Richard Dawkins destroyed in debate

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 5,412 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,566 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm too dumb to understand, God did it.

#3    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,501 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

I think determining who destroys who depends on one's perspective. It's just a debate between two guys and I don't think either one can prove the truth of their differing points of view. I enjoy watching these debates, though and I'm glad they are available to us.

I also don't think these debates will sway anyone's opinion on the subject, and I do consider one's perspective here one's personal opinion. I don't think all the evidence is in, and the question will probably never be settled finally either way.

Thanks for posting the video, it's a good example of these debates.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, as much as Biden or Ryan won their debate.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Posted Image

#6    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Supernatural explanations are not science. End of story.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#7    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Isn't it nice when videos are released with the title dictating the outcome based on one persons opinion?  :unsure2:

I'll make up my own mind thank you......I am capable.....really.....I am....... :tu:

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#8    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 13 October 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

I'm too dumb to understand, God did it.

God of the gaps is long dead as argument or even a taunt at theists, they moved on beyond that but the irony is that Dawkins and the like still hold on to dead and destroyed philosophical arguments. Seems like the atheist cant move on past the 40s. Catch up with contemporary arguments and reasonings from both sides!

Destroying people like Dawkins is a simple
Task in such arguments and a bit unfair on him. Hes a good biologist but that's it, he is not acquainted with other standards of knowledge, philosophy, history, philosophy of science etc.

#9    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

View PostLion6969, on 14 October 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

God of the gaps is long dead as argument or even a taunt at theists,

No it isn't. Creationists use it all the time. For example, a creationist may ask what happened before the big bang. A scientist may not be exactly sure, so the creationist will use this ignorance as a justification for their beliefs.

they moved on beyond that but the irony is that Dawkins and the like still hold on to dead and destroyed philosophical arguments. Seems like the atheist cant move on past the 40s.

Why the 40s? And creationists STILL use arguments that have been disproved. Such as the "argument" that there is no evidence for speciation, even though there is. (It's quite ironic that there is no evidence for a god, though, and they still hold on to that belief.)

Catch up with contemporary arguments and reasonings from both sides!

I haven't seen ONE good argument justifying the belief in any god.

he is not acquainted with other standards of knowledge, philosophy, history, philosophy of science etc.

I don't see how science can't disprove God. Besides, you don't need to know about religion to denounce it as fairytales. Do I need to be a leprechaun-ologist to know that leprechauns don't exist? Didn't think so. All you need to know is that there is no evidence in favor of such nonsense to demote it to fiction.

Posted Image

#10    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

View Postmarkdohle, on 13 October 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

You agree with the subject?

Posted Image

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 13 October 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

Supernatural explanations are not science. End of story.

Short and to the point..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#12    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostTaylor Reints, on 14 October 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

No it isn't. Creationists use it all the time. For example, a creationist may ask what happened before the big bang. A scientist may not be exactly sure, so the creationist will use this ignorance as a justification for their beliefs.

Scientists and science can't know what was before the big bang empirically that's the point! Science scope ends at singularity. However you will take a scientist explanation for what was before as gospel even if it's unproven and illogical! That's blind faith mate! Yeah creationist may use it as justification but not theists.

Why the 40s? And creationists STILL use arguments that have been disproved. Such as the "argument" that there is no evidence for speciation, even though there is. (It's quite ironic that there is no evidence for a god, though, and they still hold on to that belief.)

That's creationists for you predominantly christian creationists. Not me not theists at large. What atheists cling on to with dear life are philosophical premises from the early 20s to 40s, these premises have long been destroyed only for some atheist scientist to regurgitate the garbage! God of the gaps is a dead argument too!

I haven't seen ONE good argument justifying the belief in any god.

Just cause you ain't seen ONE, don't mean ain't out there does it? It also begs the question what arguments have you seen ;) if any.....

I don't see how science can't disprove God.

Clearly your not aware of how science functions, it's limitations etc. Go ahead try and disprove with evidence upto your standard, the very same empirical standard you expect from theists ;)

Besides, you don't need to know about religion to denounce it as fairytales. Do I need to be a leprechaun-ologist to know that leprechauns don't exist? Didn't think so.

I never said you had to, but it's a field dealing with the subject. Just cause there is not evidence for something does not negate it's existence. Ie hobbit small people are fairy tales until bones of such were discovered in indonesia etc. Don't get me wrong I'm not for a minute suggesting leprechauns could exist, I don't believe they do based on reasoning not solely lack of evidence.

All you need to know is that there is no evidence in favor of such nonsense to demote it to fiction.

What would evidence be like if it did exist?

#13    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,170 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

hang on.... AGNOSTIC Dawkins?
When the hell was Dakins ever an agnostic?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#14    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hang on upon reflection and a second viewing, I believe the Christian theist was using the god of the gaps argument at large. Therefore both lost, Dawkins arguments were smashed but the theists case was a self defeatist argument (god of the gaps), which is also long dead and destroyed.

#15    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Who destroys whom?

Lennox: "The basic question is : Is it true, or not?"

Dawkins: "And that is the basic question. It's completely irrelevant if it's comforting, if it gives you hope, if it gives you happiness. That has nothing to do with whether it is true.

Lennox: "That I agree with."

The video is about an apple and a pear having a discussion.

Edited by Abramelin, 14 October 2012 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users