Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do animals feel guilt?

animals guilt

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,941 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

When your dog looks at you with those big sad eyes, is he guilty or is he just aware that you're angry with him? And can animals, on their own, develop a sense of guilt for what they do to other animals? We take a look at a few experiments that examine these questions.

http://io9.com/59511...mals-feel-guilt

Posted Image

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Oh yes they do ,and they remember stuff they've done,or had done to them,years later . Cats are like Italian mothers with the guilt .

Miss me?

#3    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

By the look on my dogs face after she's pooped on the carpet I would have to say yes.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#4    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Homo Sapien didn't 'spontainiously' evolve emotions. We share the full spectrum of emotions with many animals.

#5    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'm sure my cat felt guilt when she puked in the floor yesterday....that, and a little bit of embarrassment!

#6    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Pets are just like children.  They know what they are not suppose to do, but still do it. As soon as I arrive home, I can immediately tell whether my dog has been up to something from the way he behaves.  He's normally all happy, tail wagging, jumping up and down.  If he's done something wrong and I ask him what he's done, his ears and tail will go down and he will look at me with such sad eyes. (almost manipulating me with those beautiful brown eyes - I mean, how can I stay angry) and then I will find yet another plant destroyed....but you've go to love them!

:tsu:

#7    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

One of the most amazing videos I have ever seen in my life:

After watching this you can't say animals don't have emotions or empathy.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 2,998 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

You should see our dog after she's been caught eating the cat food. She oozes guilt, ears go back flat against her skull, her head drops, she appears to lose about 25 per cent of her body, and she slinks away. And yet, we all know she'll go for it every chance she gets.

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,394 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:59 AM

Anyone that has a real connection with animals know they do feel guilt.

#10    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

This dog certainly does.

:cat:

#11    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:58 AM

Dogs and cats owned mem and some of them did feel guil, others didn't,  Luna the current owner doesn't feel any guilt about anything, she just does what she wants and expect rewards even for the worst deeds.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#12    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,301 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostCoffey, on 15 October 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

One of the most amazing videos I have ever seen in my life:
After watching this you can't say animals don't have emotions or empathy.

Hmm, I dunno. Try watching it with the sound off and see if you feel the same. Voiceover & music both designed to manipulate emotions ........ hard to be sure what was really going on there.

I don't think animals experience guilt(although it's impossible to know for sure, of course). What some of them do exhibit is awareness of which behaviours will produce an unpleasant reaction from the leader of their pack/'owner'. I don't think they are aware of doing something 'bad'/'wrong' i.e. pooping on the carpet, but, having pooped, some will then remember that they were shouted at or hit the last time they did that and will fear the same response. What you see when you enter the room with the poop in it is an animal trying to communicate to you that it doesn't want to be told off ...... this is not guilt IMO. Another situation is when a pet poops somewhere it 'shouldn't' because for some reason it has been unable to get outside/to the cat tray. The animal then exhibits distress at soiling it's territory, something that most animals avoid. Again, this is not guilt.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,068 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

I can only go by the critters I know, and they sure know when they did something wrong. Having done something wrong, by definition is guilt, so yes my critters feel guilty (for about 2 minutes, then they pretend they forgot).

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I think they do, I think they know when they are doing something you won't like but they do it anyway just like some people.

#15    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,301 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostHilander, on 16 October 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

I think they do, I think they know when they are doing something you won't like but they do it anyway just like some people.

I think you have to be a bit careful with that line of thought ....... it could give an 'owner' justifiction for punishing an animal that doesn't derserve it.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

Also tagged with animals, guilt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users