Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Prescription Drug Abuse On the Rise

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

Yeah, I can definitly see prescription drug abuse on the rise, especially with Oxy's(and similar) as well as the benzos.

My own experience, was two-fold.
I had injured my back several times, given percocet or Oxy's and found that even after I didn't REALLY need it any more, I had enough left over from the prescription that I took it recreationally till I ran out a few days later. I did not seek more because I knew of it's dangers, and I was not in any more back pain. But it did feel good.

Then, years later I developed a severe anxiety disorder(totally unrelated to the pain meds) which put me in the ER and was given Lorazepam(Ativan), which worked wonders.

Where I live, though, the docs no longer like prescribing benzos(except in the ER), so I started drinking alcohol to relieve my anxiety.

This resulted in a couple DUI's and eventually a 30-day treatment for alcohol(about 4-years ago)
What surprised me was that in the treatment center, 90% of the patients there were there not for alcohol, but for prescription drug abuse.
That treatment center only handles alcohol and prescription addictions, not, say, meth.

Anyway, again, I was surprised(probably naive) as to how many there were in for Oxy addictions; recreational use.

Sorry for the long post. I could say much more about how my anxiety got handled, but I'll stick to the topic.

Edited by pallidin, 18 October 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#17    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

View Postsupervike, on 18 October 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

It's not just the TV commercials, but the Doctors readiness to write a 'script for every ailment.  Of course, spend a few minutes in a Doctors office parking lot, and watch the sheer amount of 'drug' reps that stream in and out.  The pressure to push drugs to the populace is huge, because the money is huge.

I suppose it's every patients duty to ask if there are any alternatives to the prescription, but I'm sure that doesn't happen as often as it should.

Yes, the M in M.D. stands for Medical (medicine).

If you get a chance to see the movie Love and Other Drugs with Ann Hathaway, see it.  It depicts JUST what you are talking about.

#18    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Prescription Drug Misuse Remains a Top Public Health Concern

Jan. 8, 2013 — Prescription drug misuse is second only to marijuana as the nation's most prevalent illicit drug problem, with approximately 22 million persons nationwide initiating nonmedical pain reliever use since 2002, according to a report by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). The report also shows variations in use by state, with combined 2010 and 2011 data indicating that rates of past year misuse among those aged 12 or older ranged from 3.6 percent in Iowa to 6.4 percent in Oregon.

http://www.scienceda...30108122445.htm

#19    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

So what

#20    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Humans likes their pills and potions! :whistle:

#21    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 09 January 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

So what
So someone dies every 19 minutes in the US from prescription drug abuse.   Where's the prohibitionists at now?   Oh they won't show up this time, because they like drugs.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users