Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Navy develops C-3PO style robot

Saru

The Star Wars inspired robot has been designed to assist in fighting fires and to throw grenades.

ASH or Autonomous Shipboard Humanoid will have the capacity to operate in smoke-filled areas, climb ladders and react to human gestures with the help of infrared cameras and sensors on its 'face'.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Will it be slightly flamboyant like C-3PO?

If not, he will be after the crew show him the golden rivet. :)

He'll be throwing glitter about instead of grenades.

Edited by Eldorado

I've got this really crazy idea..... I mean it's a little "out there"... But why don't we develop this for people who can't walk etc to give them robotic limbs? (first part was sarcasm obviously)

I just see this is another thing creating more people without limbs, so with that logic it seems stupid.

I don't see the point of any of new military technology when we have nukes, I though nukes where supposed to stop wars.

• Like 2

Great! Now we got Robots tooken er jurbs!

• Like 1

LOL Pest!

I'm heading for the "Galactica!" :)

• Like 1

Get them to fight wars. We already have drones. The first country to go broke admits defeat. Which is what happens to all losing countries when they lose a war (US in Vietnam excepted) gets heaps of benefits from the winners. Ie. Germany Japan Iraq etc. Nobody gets hurt. The winners get pride the lovers get money and the war machine gets to make and sell more robots and drones for profit. Don't forget the entertainment value of all that bloodless fighting. There you go. World Peace without the boredom. Someone award me a Nobel!

• Like 2

And it starts... Did we as a society not learn anything from great films such as Terminator, I-Robot, etc??? Our impending doom is just around the corner! lol j/k Thinking we're going to be alright and this "project" is just another in a long line of a massive waste of funding. As was said earlier, this type of engineering and robotics should be used to help humans in need.

I know I know, it's the military, but, I am a military man and I still feel this is a major waste of funding and funding spent in the wrong manor.

• Like 2

C3PO was designed for protocol and etiquette, not lobbing grenades. I often wonder how Anakin Skywalker as a kid designed a robot as complex as C3PO when kids that age don't have any sense of etiquette... and don't say "it's only a movie" I'm quite aware of that...

• Like 2

C3PO was designed for protocol and etiquette

Thanks for clearing that up Mantis. I couldn't ever imagine Threepio throwing a grenade. :)

If you are looking for a how 'Anakin done it' answer, I would say Threepio is a generic protocol droid, he just put him together from spare parts and probably chose some popular 'personality' software and gave it a bit of a tweak...

That is one answer, the other answer is that Lucas had disappeared so far up his own backside he decided sensible continuity was not necessary for one of the biggest film sagas in cinema history and just started making things up as he went along. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Mantis C3P0 is the most camp robot ever i think,so why did Anakin think of that at such a tender age and why are you saying its only a movie,you telling me now its not historical?? Say it ain't so.........lol

• Like 1

Mantis C3P0 is the most camp robot ever i think,so why did Anakin think of that at such a tender age

Kids like camp, look at some kids TV presenters, makes perfect sense to me.

you telling me now its not historical?? Say it ain't so.........lol

:lol:

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Edited by Junior Chubb