Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit'

smoking toxic limits car

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 16 October 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Well you breathe in the carbon monoxide from my car, right.

Only because the automotive industry has been too slow to design and produce non fossil fuel vehicles! Oil is big business and they don't want their profits diminishing!

And I'm sure you've farted in public, right.

Yes, but not in a confined space or in close contact with someone!

And I'm sure you've smelled someones perfume you didn't like, right.

As well as men's cologne. I usually take a step or two away from the people that almost bathe in the stuff!

Well its called being in public so deal with it or stay home.

I have a right to be in public and to not have to deal with somebodies foul smoking habits and the smoke they produce. The laws are changing in favor of people like me so why don't you just deal with it!

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#17    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,332 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 16 October 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

It's been illegal in my province of Canada to smoke in a car with children in it for quite a while now.
Smoking is also banned in all restaurants, bars, shopping malls, airports and most publicly owned outdoor areas like beaches, parks and even within 10 meters of a bus stop... there's quite a list.  Hospitals, you can't even smoke on their outdoor property.
It's getting to the point where behind some bushes on your own property is the only way to do it.
it's just common sense not to smoke in the car when children are present, but yes it's been implemented as law here in BC for a long time now too.
it's been so long since you could smoke anywhere in public that i find it odd to see the occasional 'no smoking' sign.
sometimes you'll see a  'welcome to my smoke free office' sign...i think duh you are in a nonsmoking building. why would your office be any different?? it's just pompous if you ask me.

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#18    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,237 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 16 October 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

I love when non-smokers angrily inform me in public that smoking is bad for my health. And I always enjoy putting on my "oh my gawd, really?" face. Please worry about those quarter pounders and diet cokes you scarf down every day and let me worry about my health thank you.

I can tell you that I've never angrily informed anyone that smoking is bad for their health...it's pretty much common knowledge, so why bother? If you want to smoke, fine, just don't do it in front of non smokers that don't want to be on the receiving end of your pollution.

Quarter Pounders and diet Cokes? Change the subject much?

Get three coffins ready.

#19    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,332 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 16 October 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

I can tell you that I've never angrily informed anyone that smoking is bad for their health...it's pretty much common knowledge, so why bother? If you want to smoke, fine, just don't do it in front of non smokers that don't want to be on the receiving end of your pollution.

Quarter Pounders and diet Cokes? Change the subject much?
perhaps you have never personally done that but let me tell you from experience that it happens all the time.  not only do people feel the need to inform you of your health, they criticize how you look standing out there in the middle of nowhere - you know, the exposed place that smokers are forced to congregate...if they even bother to have a smoking area available - and will often make a big show of giving you a wide berth and then shooting you a dirty look for making them do it.
i rarely smoke in public, and when i do i take extra care to keep a distance from other people and i never leave a cigarette butt on the ground. (that is a necessary habit to get into here in bc, because forest fires are well ,you know, a big deal here lol)

i think the point about the quarter pounder etc is to demonstrate the hypocrisy of many individuals who would dictate to another what they should do with their own bodies

Edited by JGirl, 16 October 2012 - 04:58 PM.

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#20    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,237 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostJGirl, on 16 October 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

perhaps you have never personally done that but let me tell you from experience that it happens all the time.  not only do people feel the need to inform you of your health, they criticize how you look standing out there in the middle of nowhere - you know, the exposed place that smokers are forced to congregate...if they even bother to have a smoking area available - and will often make a big show of giving you a wide berth and then shooting you a dirty look for making them do it.
i rarely smoke in public, and when i do i take extra care to keep a distance from other people and i never leave a cigarette butt on the ground. (that is a necessary habit to get into here in bc, because forest fires are well ,you know, a big deal here lol)

i think the point about the quarter pounder etc is to demonstrate the hypocrisy of many individuals who would dictate to another what they should do with their own bodies

Yes, some people do do that, and it is something that I would not only frown upon, but I would actually say something to the "I know what's better for you than you do" crowd.

People do have a right to smoke......that's not my gripe......but cigarette smokers right to smoke ends when their smoke permeates the air surrounding non-smokers!

Get three coffins ready.

#21    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,332 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 16 October 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

Yes, some people do do that, and it is something that I would not only frown upon, but I would actually say something to the "I know what's better for you than you do" crowd.

People do have a right to smoke......that's not my gripe......but cigarette smokers right to smoke ends when their smoke permeates the air surrounding non-smokers!
yes i would agree with that.
it's really about respect, not about smokers vs nonsmokers, but unfortunately that is what the focus is on. if i am aware that someone near me is aware of my smoke i move or put it out. if i am at a bus stop i do not smoke if there is someone else there (unless they are smoking)
it's just a matter of respect.
the same respect should be applied to those who wear scents in public places. i am extremely sensitive to perfume and will get a migraine if exposed to it for any length of time. yet, i will go out to dinner and be inundated with five or six different smells from those around me all competing with the smell and taste of my food.
this is far more offensive to me than a waft of smoke yet i have no right to say a damned thing.

Posted Image

Winston Churchill

#22    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostJGirl, on 16 October 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

yes i would agree with that.
it's really about respect, not about smokers vs nonsmokers, but unfortunately that is what the focus is on. if i am aware that someone near me is aware of my smoke i move or put it out. if i am at a bus stop i do not smoke if there is someone else there (unless they are smoking)
it's just a matter of respect.
the same respect should be applied to those who wear scents in public places. i am extremely sensitive to perfume and will get a migraine if exposed to it for any length of time. yet, i will go out to dinner and be inundated with five or six different smells from those around me all competing with the smell and taste of my food.
this is far more offensive to me than a waft of smoke yet i have no right to say a damned thing.
I know of at least one hospital in my area with a sign on the door relating to fragrances and their nauseating effect on sick people.  It's worded very nicely but it essentially translates to "If you stink-keep out!"

Edited by synchronomy, 16 October 2012 - 05:40 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#23    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

"I have a right to be in public and to not have to deal with somebodies foul smoking habits and the smoke they produce. The laws are changing in favor of people like me so why don't you just deal with it!" Euporbia

If being in public was free from all the "foul" habits of this society and no one was every offended by other people, in wouldn't be public anymore would it. So, yes, you do have to deal with it.

And I do deal with it, intolerent hippocrites like you, on a daily basis.

Edited by praetorian-legio XIII, 16 October 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#24    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,237 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 16 October 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

"I have a right to be in public and to not have to deal with somebodies foul smoking habits and the smoke they produce. The laws are changing in favor of people like me so why don't you just deal with it!" Euporbia

If being in public was free from all the "foul" habits of this society and no one was every offended by other people, in wouldn't be public anymore would it. So, yes, you do have to deal with it.

And I do deal with it, intolerent hippocrites like you, on a daily basis.

Such great manners.....did I pluck a nerve?  :yes:

This thread isn't about "all of the foul habits of this society", it's about smoking and it's effects on non-smokers.

I have generally found that name calling is something resorted to by people that have nothing relevant to say..... :passifier:

Get three coffins ready.

#25    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,683 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

My dad always smoked in the house and car.  We weren't allowed to open the windows in the winter because we were letting the heat out....so now 3 out of the 4 kids in the family has asthma and that 1 smokes.  I did actually say something to a smoker one day. We were getting seats for the fireworks for Canada Day.  My sister and I had our three children all set up with snacks and drinks....and this old man comes to sit right beside us and starts smoking.  We don't smoke, we keep our kids away from smoking.  He could have moved anywhere else rather than upwind of us.  So, yeah, I said something.  His wife got all embarrassed, but, he said he refused to move because he had that right to smoke out in the air.  Well, after a bit of bickering, he finally left.  We were there first....just have some courtesy and common sense when dealing with others and there won't be people glaring at you if you are a smoker.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#26    Hippycrite

Hippycrite

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

• even the President of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked-Bob Dylan

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

The US and EU gives billions in subsidies to tobacco companies, and a bunch of the cash is used for anti-smoking research and anti-smoking "ad" production. I think that even if smoking was banned outright, they would still keep getting government payments. It's a win-win scenario for the tobacco companies-they keep growing the stuff, and the government pays them to tell people not to use it. How about if the government would just buy them out and shut them down? As Barney Fife says: "You gotta nip it! Nip it in the bud"!

#27    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Smokers and non-smokers are so impolite to each other.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#28    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,683 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostHasina, on 16 October 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

Smokers and non-smokers are so impolite to each other.
lol, so true.  If people could be as outspoken in other aspects of life, maybe there could be some solutions to a lot of problems in society...or else a lot more brawls lol

#29    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 16 October 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Such great manners.....did I pluck a nerve?  :yes:

This thread isn't about "all of the foul habits of this society", it's about smoking and it's effects on non-smokers.

I have generally found that name calling is something resorted to by people that have nothing relevant to say..... :passifier:

Your right,  and I apologize to you and all the members on this thread. I did indeed digress and resort to name calling. I just have a hard time with whinning little snivlers and I realize now that unlike non-smokers, I should be even more tolerate of their right to believe that how they feel about something is the way we all should feel about it. Again my apologees.

So back to the topic at hand, I would absolutly agree that smoking around children, especially in a car, is never a good idea.

Edited by praetorian-legio XIII, 16 October 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#30    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,683 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 16 October 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Your right,  and I apologize to you and all the members on this thread. I did indeed digress and resort to name calling. I just have a hard time with whinning little snivlers and I realize now that unlike non-smokers, I should be even more tolerate of their right to believe that how they feel about something is the way we all should feel about it. Again my apologees.

It's a touchy subject.  It is my right to have smoke free air because I choose not to smoke.  But, it is your choice to smoke, so where can you?  I get it.  That is why both sides need to have some courtesy.  If you see kids playing outside, don't go and light up near them.  At the same token, there should be smoke areas for those who choose to smoke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users