Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Health Insurance


  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 17,288 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

So, it is time to pick my healthcare plan for next year. Intel has like 8 options and many are very good. Not sure if they are Cadilac or not in scope, but I did notice that each and every plan has increased in yearly price by about 5 to 7% over what it was this last year.

When is Obamacare supposed to start lowering these costs again?

Found this....
http://washingtonexa...article/2509026

Quote

When he ran for president in 2008, Obama promised he would lower health insurance premiums for families by $2,500 in his first term. But earlier this month, the Kaiser Family Foundation released its annual Employer Health Benefits Survey showing that average family health insurance premiums have gone up by more than $2,500 ($2,730 to be exact), not down. Then, this week, the Health Care Cost Institute released its annual Health Care Cost and Utilization Report showing that, after briefly slowing down due to the recession in 2009 and 2010, overall health care spending rose 4.6 percent last year, far outpacing both inflation and wages.

http://www.politifac...rance-premium-/

I guess maybe it is just not going to happen. Maybe costs on the supplier end or the provider end will go down, but that will only make those people richer, as they're not going to be doing me any favors and dropping my premium prices. Maybe that is cynical, or maybe it is realistic??

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,461 posts
  • Joined:05 Jan 2012

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 October 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

So, it is time to pick my healthcare plan for next year. Intel has like 8 options and many are very good. Not sure if they are Cadilac or not in scope, but I did notice that each and every plan has increased in yearly price by about 5 to 7% over what it was this last year.

When is Obamacare supposed to start lowering these costs again?

Found this....
http://washingtonexa...article/2509026



http://www.politifac...rance-premium-/

I guess maybe it is just not going to happen. Maybe costs on the supplier end or the provider end will go down, but that will only make those people richer, as they're not going to be doing me any favors and dropping my premium prices. Maybe that is cynical, or maybe it is realistic??

Well first off - Obama said what he had to say to get elected.  Politicians don't actually intend to make good on their promises.   Costs for health insurance have gone up because its the world's biggest legal pyramid scheme.  Its totally effing crooked!  They jack the prices for 2 reasons and two reasons only. 1) They sell a product that everybody or at least most prudent, steadily employed people consider a "need".  2) They are greedy b******* and know that they can charge whatever they damn well feel like, because people are afraid to be without health insurance.

Its a racket.


#3    ninjadude

ninjadude

    Seeker of truths

  • Member
  • 10,978 posts
  • Joined:11 Sep 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Illinois

  • "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 October 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

When is Obamacare supposed to start lowering these costs again?

sometime after it actually starts with the exchanges. in 2014.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#4    Time Traveler

Time Traveler

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined:25 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA, Northwest

  • The Truth Is Out There (it is only a matter of finding out what it is!)

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 17 October 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:



Well first off - Obama said what he had to say to get elected.  Politicians don't actually intend to make good on their promises.   Costs for health insurance have gone up because its the world's biggest legal pyramid scheme.  Its totally effing crooked!  They jack the prices for 2 reasons and two reasons only. 1) They sell a product that everybody or at least most prudent, steadily employed people consider a "need".  2) They are greedy b******* and know that they can charge whatever they damn well feel like, because people are afraid to be without health insurance.

Its a racket.
Amen!


#5    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 13,386 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

For those costs to truly be reduced significantly the whole industry would need to change dramatically.  Everything from medicines to the cost of new technologies to the labor costs of the employees - ALL the employees - would need to be reduced.  Even then the insurance companies would have to be reigned in.  So what are the odds that any politician will knowingly, willingly offend that many constituencies?  Obamacare is designed to crash the current system leaving no choice but single payer in it's wake.  Being an M.D. will have about the same appeal as being a teacher in a public school does today..... long hours for little pay and no recognition and all this AFTER spending (hopefully) about 8 years minimum of becoming educated.  If you find enough altruistic people it could work.  Let's just say I'm not hopeful.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#6    preacherman76

preacherman76

    Humble Servent

  • Member
  • 10,741 posts
  • Joined:16 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Parts Unknown

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

My insurance was raised 3 times since 0bama care was passed. Its nearly unafordable.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#7    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,461 posts
  • Joined:05 Jan 2012

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

View Postand then, on 17 October 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

For those costs to truly be reduced significantly the whole industry would need to change dramatically.  Everything from medicines to the cost of new technologies to the labor costs of the employees - ALL the employees - would need to be reduced.  Even then the insurance companies would have to be reigned in.  So what are the odds that any politician will knowingly, willingly offend that many constituencies?  Obamacare is designed to crash the current system leaving no choice but single payer in it's wake.  Being an M.D. will have about the same appeal as being a teacher in a public school does today..... long hours for little pay and no recognition and all this AFTER spending (hopefully) about 8 years minimum of becoming educated.  If you find enough altruistic people it could work.  Let's just say I'm not hopeful.

Exactly.  There is nothing whatsoever about anything in our current political system that gives me anything but abject despair when considering the future of our country.  Every issue we face has only become progressively worse since the 80s because of short sighted political leadership that is only concerned with doing enough to grab power for the current election cycle - that goes for Democrats and Republicans alike - all are equally culpable, though maybe for slightly different reasons.  Health insurance is no exception.


#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 17,288 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

View Postninjadude, on 17 October 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

sometime after it actually starts with the exchanges. in 2014.
Cool. Thanks Ninja.... can't wait to see if it works. It would be nice to see something reduce in cost for a change.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,609 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 17 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

My insurance was raised 3 times since 0bama care was passed. Its nearly unafordable.

Nearly unaffordable? We had to let our $2000 a month policy drop after so many raises on the two of us. With my heart, I hope I live long enough to take advantage of it.

I got a $500 check back from my cardiologist because I was charged insurance rates instead of self pay. That should tell people something about what is going on.

Edited by Michelle, 17 October 2012 - 09:23 PM.


#10    supervike

supervike

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,430 posts
  • Joined:16 May 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostMichelle, on 17 October 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:



I got a $500 check back from my cardiologist because I was charged insurance rates instead of self pay. That should tell people something about what is going on.

I don't pretend to know exactly what is going on, but there are plenty of examples just like this.  Something is rotten in that system.  It HAS to be overhauled.


#11    ninjadude

ninjadude

    Seeker of truths

  • Member
  • 10,978 posts
  • Joined:11 Sep 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Illinois

  • "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 17 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

My insurance was raised 3 times since 0bama care was passed. Its nearly unafordable.

And you should blame the insurance companies for that.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#12    Order66

Order66

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined:05 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Thanatos

  • The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

I can summarize Obamacare ....

Your health care before:

Posted Image

and after:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13    regeneratia

regeneratia

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,833 posts
  • Joined:20 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

  • It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Never ever accept help from your government on health care until you are of the age to have advocacy groups aiding with your interests!
You lose so much fredom of choices and medical assistance if you do.

I am thinking of my friend, battling cancer, who went on disability and now the government has cut off her regular health insurance without her consent and despite her routine adequate payments. This will effect whether she lives or dies.

I am not a fan of Obama. Not at all.

Edited by regeneratia, 20 October 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#14    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

    Odd Plant Grower

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere east of San Francisco

  • You can't just choose to believe something.

    Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostVein Capital, on 20 October 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

I can summarize Obamacare ....

Your health care before:



and after:



So your solution is what....keep it the way it is or....what?

I don't want insurance companies dictating what doctor I can see, or what medications I can have prescribed to me. I don't want insurance companies to deny me healthcare because I have a preexisting medical condition. The bottom line with the insurers is their bottom line!

People's healthcare should not be profited from!

I'm not saying that doctor's and other medical staff shouldn't be paid for their services, but the insurers take a huge amount of money from people and then deny certain people's claims or just drop their insurance because of pure greed!

Why are there 2.2 people in billing for every doctor in the US?

I would much rather have the private insurance companies go away and have non-profit government run healthcare plans where I can choose my doctor and all decisions are made between me and my doctor......not with private, for profit insurance companies that put out commercials claiming how great they are when in reality profits are their main goal. Does anyone actually love their insurance company?

We really should have a single payer system for healthcare but the Republicans squashed that idea because they want everything to be privatized so that profits can be made. Sometimes I think that if they could control the air, they would charge you a monthly access fee for it and if you didn't pay......oh well.....

Keeping the system as it was degrades people's healthcare and/or kills people that the insurers consider a risk.....

Healthcare should be a right, regardless of income!

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#15    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 13,386 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostEuphorbia, on 20 October 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

So your solution is what....keep it the way it is or....what?

I don't want insurance companies dictating what doctor I can see, or what medications I can have prescribed to me. I don't want insurance companies to deny me healthcare because I have a preexisting medical condition. The bottom line with the insurers is their bottom line!

People's healthcare should not be profited from!

I'm not saying that doctor's and other medical staff shouldn't be paid for their services, but the insurers take a huge amount of money from people and then deny certain people's claims or just drop their insurance because of pure greed!

Why are there 2.2 people in billing for every doctor in the US?

I would much rather have the private insurance companies go away and have non-profit government run healthcare plans where I can choose my doctor and all decisions are made between me and my doctor......not with private, for profit insurance companies that put out commercials claiming how great they are when in reality profits are their main goal. Does anyone actually love their insurance company?

We really should have a single payer system for healthcare but the Republicans squashed that idea because they want everything to be privatized so that profits can be made. Sometimes I think that if they could control the air, they would charge you a monthly access fee for it and if you didn't pay......oh well.....

Keeping the system as it was degrades people's healthcare and/or kills people that the insurers consider a risk.....

Healthcare should be a right, regardless of income!
Your points are well taken but I wonder how we get from here to there.  We have created a system of excellent outcomes for those that can pay and we are in process of changing that system so that everyone gets care without regard to paying.  I also believe this is the just way of caring for our citizens but making this new system work is going to be nearly impossible short term.  For one, the total numbers of patients under single payer will skyrocket. The truth is that a single payer system will create a two tier reality for patients.  Those with money will receive care in private hospitals, everyone else will wait in longer lines and take their chances with over worked and under paid nurses, technicians and doctors.  The system was built around a profit motive.  Changing that effectively is going to be a tremendous challenge and, frankly, it goes against human nature.  I think an equitable, sound system could be contrived with the right leadership in place but we are woefully lacking ANY leadership these days.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users