Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guy Hacks into NASA and Pentagon Computers

nasa pentagon ufo uso fox new

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

http://video.foxnews.../1904937787001/

I happened to catch this news story today. I find it very interesting that he claims that he did indeed find "Proof" of coverups. I am really hoping he leaks this to the internet. Non-Terrestial Officers Google Search should be interesting.

http://www.guardian....ekend7.weekend2

He sat in his girlfriend Tamsin's aunt's house in Crouch End, and he began to hack. He downloaded a program that searched for computers that used the Windows operating system, scanned addresses and pinpointed administrator user names that had no passwords. Basically, what Gary was looking for - and found time and again - were network administrators within high levels of the US government and military establishments who hadn't bothered to give themselves passwords. That's how he got in.

Really Pentagon No Passwords? Thats basic Security 101

Edited by stevemagegod, 17 October 2012 - 02:18 AM.

#2    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 17 October 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

http://video.foxnews.../1904937787001/

I happened to catch this news story today. I find it very interesting that he claims that he did indeed find "Proof" of coverups. I am really hoping he leaks this to the internet. Non-Terrestial Officers Google Search should be interesting.
His hacking was done a long time ago.  Took them until now to stop the extradition.
There's already a thread about this:
http://www.unexplain...topic=235972=

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#3    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,182 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 17 October 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

His hacking was done a long time ago.  Took them until now to stop the extradition.
There's already a thread about this:
http://www.unexplain...topic=235972=

Aww well first time i heard about it

#4    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,807 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

From what I understand our current cyber security is a joke.  If we went to a full on war with another developed country anything with internet access is going down.

Hopefully they've taken discrete steps to upgrade it big time after this happened and the general public just hasn't been told about it...

#5    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 17 October 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

Aww well first time i heard about it

From the link you provided:

Nothing much happened in the years since his arrest in 2002 under the Computer Misuse Act - no charges were brought against him in the UK. Then on June 8 this year, he suddenly found himself in front of Bow Street magistrates, the target of extradition proceedings. That's when the panic attacks kicked in again, the horror visions of life in an American jail. He had poked around, he says, but he hadn't broken anything, besides that one inadvertent mistake. He thought he was going to get a year, max. Now they're talking about 70 years.

He is a crook and a petty thief. This is what happens when one breaks the law.
You UFO buffs ought to hate him. He broke and entered, and then when he was caught, obviously he thought "how do I get support, the UFO nuts will fall for it, and there is heaps of them" and any geek knows this. If he really did have the sensitive information he claims to have, so would his ISP, and a dozen servers all over the world, and as the black cards roll up at your doorstep, you would hit "send" and email the information all over the world to every major media outlet with the touch of a button.

I think one has to be somewhat gullible to swallow his story. I doubt he ever was going to America, I think he is just an example to other would be hackers. It's not all that hard to be perfectly honest.

Edited by psyche101, 17 October 2012 - 03:24 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#6    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Bush was going to have him extradited to the US and sentence him to life imprisonment in some dark dungeon.  Make no mistake about that.

Britain resisted this because the sentence would have been excessive, but this case was never a big priority for Obama.  That was the difference that finally got the guy off the hook.

#7    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 17 October 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

He is a crook and a petty thief. This is what happens when one breaks the law.

I think one has to be somewhat gullible to swallow his story. I doubt he ever was going to America, I think he is just an example to other would be hackers. It's not all that hard to be perfectly honest.

I rarely say this about you, Psyche, but you got this one really, really, REALLY wrong, about as wrong as could be.

#8    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 17 October 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

I rarely say this about you, Psyche, but you got this one really, really, REALLY wrong, about as wrong as could be.

HI McGuffin

I understand why you might support him, but I do understand Information Technology rather well. I go back to the days when Windows was a twinkle in Bill Gates eye and I was using UNIX systems.

And I still do. UNIX is as good as it gets IMHO.

What he says makes no sense at all, it is more than obvious that he is making his story up on the fly. In fact I guarantee he is making it up. There is not a chance in hell that he could have got to all the information he said he would, and not have hundreds of copies ready to save his backside. He claims to be a computer admin, and as such, he also knows that his information is not only easily backed up in a dozen countries, where no US official can touch him, and backups would exist by default, He could have told the press how to get the jump on those who caught him and tell them where to look in his records for it.

Sorry MacGuff, this bloke is absolutely full of it from every angle. He broke the law and picked a soft target to cover his backside for him. I am more sure of this case than any other. Not one thing he has said rings true from an IT perspective.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#9    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 17 October 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

Bush was going to have him extradited to the US and sentence him to life imprisonment in some dark dungeon.  Make no mistake about that.

Britain resisted this because the sentence would have been excessive, but this case was never a big priority for Obama.  That was the difference that finally got the guy off the hook.

More people than Bush did not believe him. He went to the European Court of rights in an attempt to stay the extradition, but they also did not feel his case was valid and refused him.

If there was something to his claim, Wikileaks would have exposed it. McKinnon is not a pimple on Assange's behind. Mendax is far superior to McKinnon in every way that matters.

ETA, in fact, there are many groups whom actually know what they are doing that all can do little more than chuckle at McKinnons BS. If you watch the doco "We Are Legion" it might give you an indication of McKinnon's incompetence.

Edited by psyche101, 17 October 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#10    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 17 October 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

More people than Bush did not believe him. He went to the European Court of rights in an attempt to stay the extradition, but they also did not feel his case was valid and refused him.

You got this one all wrong, Psyche, I'm sorry, but you just do.  I know something about this from the American side, and I promise you, the Bush administration was going to punish him big time--as an example.  I know this.

Obama did not want to do so and pursued this case with no enthusiasm.  This I do know.

#11    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 17 October 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

HI McGuffin

Sorry MacGuff, this bloke is absolutely full of it from every angle. He broke the law and picked a soft target to cover his backside for him. I am more sure of this case than any other. Not one thing he has said rings true from an IT perspective.

They were going to ask for life imprisonment, Psyche.  I know this, but I thought the sentence was extreme.  So did many others over here.

#12    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

View PostWickian, on 17 October 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

From what I understand our current cyber security is a joke.  If we went to a full on war with another developed country anything with internet access is going down.

Hopefully they've taken discrete steps to upgrade it big time after this happened and the general public just hasn't been told about it...

The IT "boffins" were using Windows with Terminal Services active, and did not password the admin account.

If these guys did not lose their jobs, that also would be injustice.

#13    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 17 October 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

You got this one all wrong, Psyche, I'm sorry, but you just do.  I know something about this from the American side, and I promise you, the Bush administration was going to punish him big time--as an example.  I know this.

Obama did not want to do so and pursued this case with no enthusiasm.  This I do know.

I do however, agree with the bolded. I feel this was the agenda all along.

#14    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 17 October 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

They were going to ask for life imprisonment, Psyche.  I know this, but I thought the sentence was extreme.  So did many others over here.

I think most of the globe saw it as extreme, but I think that is just because most of the globe is not IT savvy. And I would expect such. Bill Gates took away the need for IT skill. It is akin to wandering into a police station and helping yourself to firearms. One can say "I never intended to use them" but that makes the crime no softer. A crime is a crime, and he broke into places that react to infiltration. If you break and enter, you will be charged, if you break and enter a military installation. it will go harder on you.

I think that the quiet side of how the admins he hacked were not punished also helped the McKinnon support.

I have absolutely no sympathy for criminals. And I know this one was lying about his so called data.

#15    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 17 October 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

Yet the European Court of Rights had no time for him as well? Bush has no pull there.

He threatened to commit suicide if he went to an American Jail. That had more to do with the stay of extradition. Because he made the threat, the authorities are now responsible for keeping him alive. His mother stated that his suicide was certain, which contravenes the extradition act. If he does go to America, and he does take his life (as if) then they would be responsible, and are not allowed to take that gamble.

Edited by psyche101, 17 October 2012 - 05:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users