Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Woman fails to shut down Hadron Collider

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,010 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

A German court has rejected the case of a woman who claims the atom smasher would destroy the world.

Phys.org said:

A German woman who feared the Earth would be sucked into oblivion in a black hole failed Tuesday in her court bid to stop the work of the world's most powerful atom smasher.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,988 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Looks like Goliath won this round...

#3    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,577 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

What a stupid woman.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#4    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,338 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I  for one welcome our new Draconic overlords, and I hope the first person fed to them is this silly woman who wanted to prevent their arrival via the Hadron Gateway.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#5    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Even if it does, this world is horrible anyway.

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

That would be rather ironic; striving for knowledge and instead conjuring up our own doom, and not even with a weapon.

#7    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

When I read the title my first thought was 'did she just forget to turn it off after a long hard day of science?' But now that I've read the article, I can actually offer an opinion. Scientific progress always has a chance of being destructive, but many scientists were pretty darn sure the world wasn't gonna explode by turning this thing on, especially since it's been running for a while now, and running tests!

Posted Image

~MEH~

#8    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,988 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostHasina, on 17 October 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

When I read the title my first thought was 'did she just forget to turn it off after a long hard day of science?'

Snap :blush:

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#9    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

At least she followed due process. Lots of cultures try to kill people or blow things up if they disagree. This lady took it to court. I give her credit for her civilised behaviour.

#10    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

I rue the day when Gordon Freeman shows up for his first day of work there...

:P

#11    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

We are doomed
I say never take a women opinion seriously.

chill, i was just joking a little :whistle:

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#12    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,664 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

I truly wonder how this made it into a court room unless she had some evidence that it was ruled should be heard - nothing about her background or what she was presenting that was considered worthy of a trial is presented in the article.

Of course, the obvious answer is that the only "black hole" this woman is going to experience is in her bank account once her lawyers and the legal system hands her the bill.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#13    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,577 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostChooky88, on 17 October 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

At least she followed due process. Lots of cultures try to kill people or blow things up if they disagree. This lady took it to court. I give her credit for her civilised behaviour.

Unfortunately, her 'civilized behavior' includes being batsh!t insane and seemingly lacking an education.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 17 October 2012 - 03:42 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#14    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

To her credit, the Hadron collider might actually be creating black holes.  Possibly thousands / millions by now.  They are super tiny and break down in a few nanoseconds (micro black holes).  I'm sure there's a model in which a micro black hole can get shot just the right way and achieve just the right amount of stability to grow when it collides with the machinery around it.  Even if it's a one in a trillion chance of happening in the lifetime of the device, is it something we should be toying with?  The prevalent theories of today say it can't happen or even if it does, it'll evaporate at the quantum level, but the prevalent theories of today are not perfect.  I personally think there's no danger, but I'm not perfect as well :devil:

#15    Lancer210

Lancer210

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

Who says we are going to die when we go in a black hole. Nobody knows exactly what a black hole is... ,
It could be quite fascinating to go in there, and we have first ticket in the row wooott ...!

Still kinda stupid of the woman to argue against tons of researchers that it's dangerous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users