Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Jersey Devil, Bigfoot and other cryptids

Karlis

As Halloween approaches -- let's take a look at various "cryptids":

creatures that at one time or another, in myth and stories, were thought to exist, but whose existence has not been proven. Studied and sought after by cryptozoologists, whether gargantuan and aquatic, overwhelmingly hairy, devil-eyed or possessed of an unquestionable thirst for blood, they've safely occupied a place in American lore for years.

Source

10 lesser-known U.S. monsters and cryptids

From harmless lake monsters to aggressive lizard men, Bigfoot isn't the only unidentified creature rumored to live in the United States.

Read more

A couple months ago I read something in an issue of National Geographic (at a friend's house) about a tasmanian tiger's DNA from a preserved specimen being implanted into a mouse fetus. They could tell the DNA was merging because the fetus was developing the skeletal structure of the tiger. This was being done in a research lab and it was a recent issue of National Geographic.

In the past when the government has done things like this we end up finding out that they've been doing it for years prior. Do I believe in the chupacabra? Yes, even if all it happens to be is an escaped science project. I have a feeling we'll be having increasing reports of strange creatures we've never heard before within the next decade. But hey if I were a scientist with the ability to play god, I'd see what happens when you cross a vampire bat with a lizard & kangaroo...

The following story is of a supposed werewolf/bigfoot type creature that was accidentally photographed in a park named 'Parc des Sept Chutes' in Quebec, Canada in 2005. The only reason I found this story was because I was researching the Bray Rd. beast of Wisconsin awhile back.

Due to this story's obscurity and lack of coverage, I'm reluctant to put much faith in its relevance. Still though, it's a story and article that does seem fitting for both this thread and Halloween. ;)

I have not formed an opinion of this particular event either, I could go either way on this one.

Link: http://www.haveyouseenthiscreature.com/

Edited by Saru
Please do not copy and paste entire web pages
  • Like 1

What about Ground Sloths ? They could pass off as bears or giant apes. They are thought to have lived up to 8000 years BC, which is latter than other Megafauna. They seem to live mainly in swampy areas of the Eastern U.S, are very smelly, move quite silently for their size (like forest elephant), and are less lethargic than has been claimed. There were sightings albeit scarce from 1937 to 2002, and although it sounds ludicrous at first, their existence is more plausible than Bigfoot and other creatures more akin to the Fortean sphere (paranormal).

Edited by Thegreatsilence

What about Ground Sloths ? They could pass off as bears or giant apes. They are thought to have lived up to 8000 years BC, which is latter than other Megafauna. They seem to live mainly in swampy areas of the Eastern U.S, are very smelly, move quite silently for their size (like forest elephant), and are less lethargic than has been claimed. There were sightings albeit scarce from 1937 to 2002, and although it sounds ludicrous at first, their existence is more plausible than Bigfoot and other creatures more akin to the Fortean sphere (paranormal).

How big are they said to be??

Something new is always being discovered but you think they would have a body by now.