Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

A weird experience while lying in bed.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

So, I was lying in bed, really tired, when all of a sudden I was thinking about a scene I had seen on CSI: Miami, where an 8 year old was having her teeth bleached by her mother.
Then, I started having this REALLY strange experience. I smelt chemical, my teeth felt like they were being pulled, and my gums were burning. I have no idea what it's like to have teeth bleached, but I can only assume it'd be close, most likely worse, than what I was feeling.

And I'm fairly certain it wasn't sleep paralysis, as I was able to roll over with ease while thinking about it.

Does anyone know if memories or thoughts can cause sensation like that? I know that you can think of a food's taste and smell, and it'll make your mouth water, but it felt just so much MORE real than what it's like to remember a smell or taste.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

The mind cannot tell the difference between what's real and what was clearly imagined.

I'm paraphrasing.

I don't know :rolleyes:

Edited by Mnemonix, 20 October 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#3    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• Credendo Vides
    Seeing is Believing

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Interesting, all i have to say

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#4    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,361 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

I've had several experiences when someone has been telling me about a pain they have, and I've suddenly got a strong pain in the same place on my body as they are talking about regarding their body. That's the nearest thing to what you're talking about, that I've experienced. I guess it's an extension of thinking of something funny that makes you laugh, or something sad that makes you cry ..... you've just taken it to another level! :tsu:

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#5    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I bet you visited that magical place in-between sleep and waking state. Where I'd guess that any combination of wakeful vs. sleepy scenarios can possibly play out. What a cool thing it would be if we could harness that state, and control it.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#6    ShadowBoy86x

ShadowBoy86x

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

the brain is a power thing man, it can do crazy things, theres alot about the brain that we dont know

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yes the brain is a powerful thing.  Sometimes I feel other peoples pain, especially if I see them hurt.

#8    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

I didnt think we're allowed to talk about the weird experiences we've had while lying in bed....

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#9    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,361 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 20 October 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

I didnt think we're allowed to talk about the weird experiences we've had while lying in bed....
You're a mule for goodness' sake! When did you last lie in a bed(that wasn't made of straw).

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#10    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 20 October 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

You're a mule for goodness' sake! When did you last lie in a bed(that wasn't made of straw).

We mules lie in beds quite often. Usually when the owners aren't home. We're tricky like that...

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#11    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

The paralysis is not always present for the illusion. If I stay up late enough, I can count on hearing indistinct conversations or non-sequitors  at that magical ( :) ) time.
  I rarely get visual hypnagogia, and the one tactile sensation I can recall was a brief vibration ( slightly vertiginous), as I was instructed to expect, as it heralds the onset of our natural paralysis during sleep.
I don't see why any sense should be excluded from the phenomena.

#12    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Sounds not at all dissimilar to some experiances I've had..
There's a wee little magic zone between... er, I think it's between beta and gamma levels of consciousness where thoughts have a habit of physically manefesting themselves.. It's usually associated with a hissing sensation or feeling as well. well, with me it is anyway..

I tend to agree with _Only, it's a very specific point of consiousness where weirdness can occur..

#13    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

It was a dream. You were in the twilight state of sleep when you're still in a dream state but you're also aware of where you are.

They can be much worse. When I was young several times I woke up with the sensation of bugs crawling down my throat. I would continue to feel them as I tried to cough them up. Eventually I realized they weren't real.

#14    behrshango

behrshango

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

• The abilities of language fall short, I am left with imagination.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

As mnemonix pointed out, the brain doesn't know the difference between 'reality' and 'imagination', or so we currently think, and can produce sensations to match your imaginings or visualizations. This is based on my personal experience. Depends on how your data processing unit is wired.
          One question for you - are you a synesthete?

#15    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,361 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

View Postbehrshango, on 21 October 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

As mnemonix pointed out, the brain doesn't know the difference between 'reality' and 'imagination', or so we currently think, and can produce sensations to match your imaginings or visualizations. This is based on my personal experience. Depends on how your data processing unit is wired.
  One question for you - are you a synesthete?

I had no idea what a 'synesthete' was, so I googled it .......... and I discover I am one! hahaha! You learn something new everyday, they say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users