Adam & Eva – A figure of Jesus and the Church
Romans 5: 14 says Adam is the figure, (foreshadow), of Jesus Christ who was to come. How many ways do the scriptures show Adam as a symbol of Jesus? See how many you can add to the following.
1. The first figure of Adam like Jesus was that he was created with no earthly father just as Jesus had no earthly father.
2. If Adam is a figure of Jesus, the woman is a figure of Christ’s bride, the church. The way the woman was brought to the man by the Creator shows Adam was given his bride from God. Isaac’s bride was chosen for him by his Father in heaven through the work of the faithful servant.
Jesus was also given His bride from the heavenly Father. “As thou hast given Him power over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given Him... I have manifested thy name unto the men whom thou gavest Me out of the world; thine they were, and thou gavest them to Me…I pray for them; I pray not for the world, but for them whom thou has given Me; for they are thine…those that thou gavest Me I have kept, and none of them is lost…“
3. In creating Adam’s bride, he was put to sleep. Sleep is a word often used in the Bible for death. Adam did not physically die, but his sleep is a figure of Jesus who did die for His bride, the church.
4. His side was pierced and a rib was removed. No doubt, blood and water gushed forth. Jesus’ side was pierced by a guard’s sword and blood and water gushed forth. His disciples quivered and quaked in fear the three days and three nights Jesus was in the grave. Triumphant Jesus came back to life and His bride was united with Him.
5. Adam loved his bride as much as Jesus Christ does His. When Adam’s eyes beheld the woman God created, he was filled with love and gave her a proper name. “She shall be called Woman because she was taken out of Man.” The prefix “Wo,” (perhaps for “Wow!”), Adam added to Man naming her Woman. The Bible says for the husband to love his wife as much as he does himself. That was easy for Adam to do. She was his bone and flesh. Since blood is manufactured in the bone, she had his exact DNA, including his exact blood type. Making her the truly first clone.
There is no diversity in identical twin genes. (Scientist have concluded there are three, perhaps four, different races. Variety of different races cannot evolve from two identical combined genes.) Woman was the reflected image of Man in a feminine form. The moon reflects the sun. The bride of Christ reflects Christ.
If Adam was a figure of Jesus who was to come; and the bride of Adam was created in a manner that is also a foreshadow of the bride of Christ, (the church), these foreshadows took place before anyone had eaten the forbidden fruit. From the moment Adam was created without an earthly father, we see God setting a plan in motion. When Adam was put to sleep, we see Jesus would someday have a bride for whom He would some day die.
With these foreshadows, it would indicate God has a plan and we have been dancing to the wrong music. God did not have to quickly devise a plan to save the creation He had started and Eve messed up. God set in motion a plan when He moved across the face and waters and saw that the author of confusion had changed the creation of heaven, (singular), and earth into, (tohu and bohu), confusion and emptiness. Anything without form is in a state of confusion. Anything that is void is empty.
6. The next foreshadow of Adam as Jesus Christ was in the geographical placement of Adam. Today, the Arab nations are claiming Israel is theirs since they are descendants of the Canaanites. It was called the Land of Canaan before Abraham entered into that land. It carries no validity with the Arabs that the Bible says God spoke to Abraham and gave him the land. They are taught the Judeo/Christians Bible is corrupt. They only respect the historical fact that the Canaanites were there before Abraham.
Jews and Christians need to realize that before the descendants of Cain and before Canaan, (the grandson of Noah), there was Adam Man the direct line of the first Israelite. Created on Day Eight, Adam Man and his descendants have first claim to that land. Every since God forced Cain out of Israel, his descendants have been trying to get back the land. They will never be permanently successful because God banished them through Cain forever from Israel.
Very black and very white Gentiles were created and blessed Day Six. Adam was created Day Eight and placed in a garden—of Eden, (Jerusalem), with a boundary of four rivers: the Hiddekel, (Tigris), and Euphrates Rivers to the north, the country of Ethiopia or Cush sharing the other side of the Gihon, (River Nile), to the south, and the Pishon, (Jordan), on the east of Havilah, (Israel). Several places in the Old Testament, descendants of Adam from the righteous line of Seth were called sons of man. Example: in Job. They were descendants of Adam Man. Jesus was called the Son of Man. The Bible lists direct ancestry of Jesus back to Adam Man, the first Israelite in the Promised Land of Israel. After Jesus, the name, Son of Man, was never used again. The apostles never used it. There was no need. His ancestral record back to Adam was proof that He was the prophecy fulfilled of the one seed, (man), to come who would bruise the head of the serpent. If calling Jesus, Son of Man, meant He was God in man’s body of flesh, why were the others also called son of man?
God placed enmity, (hatred), between the world and the descendants of Adams. All through history the Israelites have been hated and abused. The dispersing of the Jews with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. and the massive murders of six million Jews by the Germans in the holocaust of WW II has destroyed any verifiable record of a lineage directly back to Adam Man as a Son of Man. No rouge imposter will ever have physical proof that he is the Son of Adam Man, born of a virgin, and like Adam did not have an earthly father.
When Adam was created on Day Eight, God breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and he became a living, (spiritually alive), soul, (mind). Resurrected Jesus breathed on the disciples and they received the Holy Ghost and their souls became spiritually alive.
7. After Adam ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, God said they had become like One of them -god, (little “g”), knowing good and evil. God’s chosen children were strengthened when they gained knowledge and He went back into heaven. After Jesus was resurrected, He went back into heaven. He sent the Comforter that the apostles might understand and remember and have strength to continue.
8. Adam was never cursed. All of creation was not cursed. The serpent and the ground, (the spot where the serpent and the tree stood), were cursed. Once God blesses something, He never reneges on a blessing. He is all knowing. He knew what was going to happen. God had already blessed male and female on Day Six before Adam was even created. They were blessed to not only to be fruitful and multiply; but they were given fish, fowl, herb, fruit, every living thing that moveth upon the earth and domestic beast of the earth to eat and resupply through management.) That cursed ground is the same cursed spot Jesus hung from a tree. ”Cursed is everyone who hangs from a tree.” Of all the ground in the world, what would be a more appropriate spot to curse than the spot the serpent beguiled the woman? What would be a more appropriate spot to pay for the sins of His people than the very same spot of ground that was cursed?
9. God told only Adam about the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. He gave the Day Six Gentiles free access to all the fruit. The Jews, under the Law, have always been under heavier restrictions than the Gentiles. Next, God created domestic animals for Adam to till the garden. (It takes domestic beasts of burden such as oxen to till a garden.) After the domestic animals, God created woman from Man’s rib. What the woman knew about the tree and the fruit, she got from Adam. Adam was the high-priest mediator between God and the woman. Jesus is our high priest and our only mediator between God the Father and His bride, the church.
10. When Adam saw Woman, he said they were one flesh. Indicating how inseparable was God’s creation. God had told Adam, if he ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil he would die that very same day. Adam deceived the woman by telling her if she touched the fruit she would die. She touched the fruit and did not die. Adam knew the truth. She did not. Why did Adam go ahead and eat the fruit if he knew better? His reply to God tells why he ate the fruit. “The woman who Thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.” Adam knew God intended the woman to be with him. If she was going to die, he would have to die. In essence, Adam died for his bride while she was yet in her sins and disobedience just as Jesus died for His bride. When they gained the knowledge of good and evil, they knew their nakedness was something of which to be ashamed. They were created in sin in the beginning. Anything short of the glory of God is sin. Flesh is corruptible. Flesh is sin. Jesus was made sin, (flesh), for us.
11. Just as God promised, that same day their souls, (minds), died to sin. Adam and Satan both thought the death would be a physical death. It was a death of their souls to the world of flesh. The devil did not think that through. If they had eaten from the tree of life in their sinful state and never would die, this earth would have continually gotten more sinful and violent beyond imagination. Satan thought he was successful when he caused the death of Jesus on the cross. Again, he did not think that through. If Jesus had not died, sin would not have been pardoned.
It is interesting that they did not hide from God because they disobeyed and ate the fruit. They hid because they were naked and they knew it was evil. Why did God want them to be ignorant of the evil they were living? He didn’t. He wanted them to have the truth. He created them as sin, (flesh), in need a Savior. This was His plan from the foundation of the, (cosmos), world. When was the foundation of the cosmos, (world)? It was Day One of creation week. Cosmos means: orders, arrangements and kinds. Order, physical laws, arrangements, and kinds began to be created out of confusion by God on Day One.
This was the first of two times when God would instruct man to do one thing when in reality God wanted the opposite. God told Abraham to sacrifice his son, Isaac. But God stopped Abraham before he would have killed Isaac.
12. God told Adam, “…in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field…In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread…” Field and bread are words in the Bible, which have double meanings. (Field means: spiritual field, gospel field. Bread means: divinely inspired word.) From this point, Adam was given by the sweat of his face the authority to receive and work with divinely inspired bread, (scripture). Only descendants of Adam ever received, and wrote God’s divinely inspired scripture. (That should give discernment to eliminate many false religions.)
Through Adam was the beginning of the oral word and worship. Descendants of Adam are the direct avenue for the divine Word to come in the flesh. Jesus is the Word made flesh.
13. God told them of the abuse that would follow their descendants called Israelites or Jews. Adam was the first Jew even though he was not called a Jew at the time. God told the woman, Eva, in sorrow, (not pain – sorrow), the woman would conceive. Her sorrow was in knowing she was bringing a child into a world that would hate them through all the ages of history. Sorrow at conception and pain at childbirth can be separated by as many as nine months.
At this point Adam names the woman, Eve. He actually named her, Eva. It has been translated in English to Eve. The Hebrew name Eva is the prefix of the same Hebrew word—evangelize. It was an appropriate name. The reason Adam named her Eva was because she was the mother of all spiritually living. When Eva was going to have her first child she was in communion with God. It was revealed to her that she was carrying a man child, Cain, from the Lord.
God bless us all is my prayer.