Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is PMS a Myth?

Q-C

http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/22/pms-is-a-myth-new-study/?hpt=hp_t3

I think some cultures woman may be taught to suppress or ignore or not discuss or show PMS rather than it being a cultural thing.

Does any female find this quote offensive and misogynistic rather than feminist? My bolding.

“It makes sense to me that they would find little to no effect of PMS on mood when looking at the big picture,” says Kathryn Clancy, an assistant professor of anthropology at the University of Illinois who studies reproductive behavior but was not associated with the research. “Overall, PMS is not only physiologically dependent but culturally dependent. There are studies that show women have different PMS symptoms depending on their country of origin.”

In fact, she says, citing a classic feminist text that describes menstruation, some women even use the idea to subvert culturally restricting concepts about femininity and feminine behavior. “It’s almost as if, given cultural expectations that they will behave badly, they decide to go along with it in order to behave in the ways normally inaccessible to them, [like] being bossy, irritable [or] bold,” she says.

I always thought it was a myth. I believed that it was something created by females to have an excuse to be moody. I imagined I was the only female who wasn't "in on it" because I never really had any symptoms like that. Over the years, I've had friends complain about it, and even witnessed one meltdown by a friend (something I never want to ever experience again). Now, I'm not so quick to discredit it. If it's a real thing, then I'm glad I've been fortunate enough to escape it.

• Like 1

I always thought it was a myth. I believed that it was something created by females to have an excuse to be moody. I imagined I was the only female who wasn't "in on it" because I never really had any symptoms like that. Over the years, I've had friends complain about it, and even witnessed one meltdown by a friend (something I never want to ever experience again). Now, I'm not so quick to discredit it. If it's a real thing, then I'm glad I've been fortunate enough to escape it.

You are fortunate, yes. How about food cravings?

As with all "studies" I say "No one asked me." :yes:

Edited by QuiteContrary

You are fortunate, yes. How about food cravings?

As with all "studies" I say "No one asked me." :yes:

I really don't think I've had any food cravings to speak of. The only cravings for food I've ever had was during pregnancy (those pregnancy cravings were something else!). I hear lots of women mention craving chocolate. I'm not a big fan of chocolate, really, or sweets in general, even. The meltdown I mentioned my friend having... I swear, at first I was wondering if she might be manic depressive, but it apparently only happens during that time for her. I feel for anyone who experiences it.

Its not a myth its hormones and about aweek before I eat the frigde empty, try to kill husband and kids while also crying my eyes out over stupid things.

• Like 4

Its not a myth its hormones and about aweek before I eat the frigde empty, try to kill husband and kids while also crying my eyes out over stupid things.As soon as the flood

gates open I,m a kitten again.

PMS is not a myth. I didn't have severe symptoms like some do but it still changed my mood and I wanted to eat. I could control my moodiness pretty well but that was not a good time to start criticizing me.

• Like 1

Ohhh noooooo, PMS is a clear and present danger to all men! My ex girlfriend, when I was in highschool, was so unbearable to be around during her oil change cycle, lol! And she was Asian too, a combination of the two was a recipe for disaster to come. She was so hot though, I miss her the most out of all the women I've been with, which is way too many to count.

While I agree about it being a present danger to all men, I find that some women do use this as a means to whine and rage and before you ladies attack me, yes, I am aware of what a woman goes through during this time and its worse for some than others. I've been with some women that go to the restroom excessively during this time (no details, please) but don't b**** much and I can live with that and then others that are just brats about it.

Dude, Bones, from the other thread I've seen, you seemed to have had some bad luck with some girls, sorry to hear that... I've dated all types myself and the Asian girls I've dated have never even shown the bad symptoms of PMS even when I've angered them during that time, also, to be fair, Western chicks were about the same but I have had a few very short lived mistakes with psychos that I've kicked out of my life which also especially includes my ex...

During high school a lot of girls would have the day off because of PMS. It must be real, why else would teenage girls want to miss out on school?

• Like 2

Ohhh noooooo, PMS is a clear and present danger to all men! My ex girlfriend, when I was in highschool, was so unbearable to be around during her oil change cycle, lol! And she was Asian too, a combination of the two was a recipe for disaster to come. She was so hot though, I miss her the most out of all the women I've been with, which is way too many to count.

Its an excuse to justify bad behaiour.

And the type of woman that does it is like it all the time not just on the oil change day off the month.

• Like 1

Never had it til I had kids, then OOOHHHHH BOOOYYYYY look out, or maybe it was just the kids...?

Myth, no. Excuse, probably.

Why is it an excuse? Do you think women just make it up? Like hey everyone else is doing it, lets all do it? ..Why do so many take meds for the PMS ? Do they not like to have that excuse?

Anyone on UM from a culture where PMS is something never spoken of or heard of?

You mean like a culture where women are not allowed to be themselves, and fear of speaking out in case they are punished ?

Anyhoo.. How I can tell I have PMS...

I never eat cakes, sweet things much .. but once a month, I crave it..More so chocolate..

I rarely cry...but when PMS creeps in.. I can cry at stupid things..even some TV commercials

I would sit through an entire X Factor show with no complaining..!!!

I don't go nuts...but get a bit snappy and I hate it..

I am not really myself.. I show more tolerance to idiots when I have PMS

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Its an excuse to justify bad behaiour.

I am not myself with PMS.. I just clicked like on your post..

And the type of woman that does it is like it all the time not just on the oil change day off the month.

And you could make them change to a much happier mood..

I wish I could give you another like..

It is getting to that time again ...sigh

• Like 2

I am not myself with PMS.. I just clicked like on your post..

lol

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I read the quote above, and it doesn't say PMS is a myth, so I'm not sure where that's coming from. It says it is both physiologically and culturally dependent... the behavior, which I think is true of all things.

People often act or react in a way that is deemed appropriate -- good or bad -- by their culture. The old cliched comparison of western women screaming curses and hating people during birth and tribal woman simply giving birth quietly then going back to their farming or whatever.

I get major cravings and don't p*** me off when I get PMS. My daughter would know to back off when I had PMS. Now that she personally experiences it, well, all I can say is that she is more understanding towards me! :-*

It is very real. Like "The Shining", but real. The HORROR!

How ******* dare these ******* people claim PMS is a myth.....sorry I lost myself for a moment then, must be the time of the month.

t0120.gif

• Like 3

Personally ,I have lived my life ,mostly free of any PMS issues .

As I got older ,30s,I noticed I was much more easily prone to crying jags,just prior .

It took me a while to put the two together .

If say ,I was watching a movie where a bug got stepped on ,oh yeah,waterworks .

As for the rest of symptomology ,nuthin .

However,as an acupuncturist ,I see patients that conventional medicine has said : nothing to do ,take pain killers,sleep ,go to bed,take an anti anxiety pill .

So acupuncturists and herbalists ,see a lot of PMS . These women do not imagine this,and having it belittled ,as if she is just a hysterical maven ,is discouraging ,so they come to us .

It's debilitating and off the chart pain for some

Headaches ,body pains,sleeplessness ,swellings ,mood swings .A lot . I assume some make it more than it is ,but not the women I see .It's awful . I'm always grateful I never had anything like it .

I would say menopause is the flip side of the same coin .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

I get a bit more irritable, but not extreme blow up style irritable, just snappish and all if something gets under my skin. Ordinarily I can shrug things off or find a reason to keep smiling.

Edited by Hasina

You mean like a culture where women are not allowed to be themselves, and fear of speaking out in case they are punished ?

I think the article's title was meant to be an attention-getter.

I can't even understand the study's percentage math nor understand the results of their study, but two things stood out for me as I stated in my OP:

I believe there are a lot of things that are "cultural" but not in the way studies like to conclude or misrepresent them. Something not "heard of" or expressed or noted by physicians in a culture does not mean it doesn't exist.

And for a feminist to say PMS is some excuse hatched by women to be a tough B in the workplace, I find highly offensive.

My cyclical Bness disappeared with each pregnancy and reappeared when my cycle did and disappeared with menopause. So that tells me something physical is going on.

It was no excuse, it is for real. It's not like anybody taught the "bad behavior" to my girlfriend at the time. And you, you don't even have a gender or age posted so how you can comment on this I don't know. For all I know, you're a bot, why am I still talking to you?

Women are not like men.

If you go and work in an office full of women you'll discover gossiping, lying, back stabbing, bad mouthing, spreading rumours, obnoxious behaviour, aggression and all kinds of cheap manipulation tricks being used.

Women are the weaker sex so instead of direct confrontation they choose the underhand methods to get what they want. When you pull a woman over her bad behaviour you'll either get the crocodile tears (which are quite frankly pathetic) or the excuses such as pms.

Its easy to see through such instances because her bad behaviour would have led to her gaining something. I've seen it all you wont convince me pms is real.

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 1

Women are not like men.

If you go and work in an office full of women you'll discover gossiping, lying, back stabbing, bad mouthing, spreading rumours, obnoxious behaviour, aggression and all kinds of cheap manipulation tricks being used.

Women are the weaker sex so instead of direct confrontation they choose the underhand methods to get what they want. When you pull a woman over her bad behaviour you'll either get the crocodile tears (which are quite frankly pathetic) or the excuses such as pms.

Its easy to see through such instances because her bad behaviour would have led to her gaining something. I've seen it all you wont convince me pms is real.

Say whaaaaaat?!

• Like 1