Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Is PMS a Myth?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#46    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 October 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

Rates of pregnancy vary wildly, but it is highest in poverty stricken catholic nations.
Breast feeding lasts considerably longer. It's actually not as beneficial for the child to nurse less than about a year and a half to 2 years. The upper limit seems to be around 7 years for benefits.
Check out Katherine Dettwyler has a good essay on it, if you're interested. http://www.llli.org/ba/aug94.html

underscoring mine
Wouldn't that account for lack of PMS "complaints"? Since not every woman experiences troublesome or severe PMS anyway. Out of the few who do experience moderate to severe PMS, they breastfeed for long periods thus avoiding PMS.

#47    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,578 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 October 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

underscoring mine
Wouldn't that account for lack of PMS "complaints"? Since not every woman experiences troublesome or severe PMS anyway. Out of the few who do experience moderate to severe PMS, they breastfeed for long periods thus avoiding PMS.

It very well could. I believe there are some interesting anthropological studies out there that suggest the same. It's really no my area of expertise, though, so I couldn't say for sure. Correlation=/=Causation and all that.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#48    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

I am dreading HRT !!!! It is unfair.. We think  it is great to have no more cramps and pains each month and along comes HRT..sigh... I just know I am going to get it bad....I recall back when I didn't know or understand what HRT was ..I used to poke gun at my mom..I stopped if she got upset...   I am thinking ..karma will get me good...

Dreading HRT hormone replacement therapy?
I hate what they do to horses to get the hormones.

I did not like the hot flashes but tolerated them okay, in Texas, in summer. But for some ladies symptoms are much worse. Plus being all wet and sweaty at work would not be fun.

We are each different and no one can tell us how we feel is a myth.

#49    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 October 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

underscoring mine

You are spot on.. very true indeed

I know that not all women will suffer as bad... just like I know that not all women have heavy painful  periods.. Same with pregnancy...all differ.. Some will have an easy time.. some wont

My sister and I differed  with PMS.. She was more bad tempered and cried more than I did.. She used to feel so sad that it had her like that..  My mother said she never had any real problem with PMS  or her monthly periods UNTIL  she had 3 kids.. then it got worse for her..She winded up having her womb removed as a result..

I had it bad every month  I dreaded  my monthly.. it was long and painful..I winded up addicted to painkillers because of it.. .. BUT when I had my kids.. it got very easy for me.. I cry  now and then at stupid things..but I don't get it as bad as I once did..and the monthly periods  are very short and not as painful...

For every woman it really does vary.. I think the trouble with some men  is  -  They don't fully understand it.. and  some think that  if so many don't suffer, that MUST mean  the rest are just using it all as an excuse..  

To fully understand it all.. you must realize that each woman.. regardless  were in the world she is .. will vary ....

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 October 2012 - 12:30 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#50    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

You are spot on.. very true indeed

I know that not all women will suffer as bad... just like I know that not all women have heavy painful  periods.. Sam with pregnancy...all differ.. SOme will have an easy time.. some wont

My sister and I differed  with PMS.. She was more bad tempered and cried more than I did.. She used to feel so sad that it had her like that..  My mother said she never had any real problem with PMS  or her monthly periods UNTIL  she had 3 kids.. then it got worse for her..She winded up having her womb removed as a result..

I had it bad every month  I dreaded  my monthly.. it was long and painful..I winded up addicted to painkillers because of it.. .. BUT when I had my kids.. it got very easy for me.. I cry  now and then at stupid things..but I don't get it as bad as I once did..and the monthly periods  are very short and not as painful...

For every woman it really does vary.. I think the trouble with some men  is  -  They don't fully understand it.. and  some think that  if so many don't suffer, that MUST mean  the rest are just using it all as an excuse..  

To fully understand it all.. you must realize that each woman.. regardless  were in the world she is .. will vary ....

underscoring mine

Exactly!

*WARNING* TMI

I hemorrhaged every month the last few years. I had difficulty breathing at that time each month from lack of iron. It can actually cause anemia induced heart failure. I had no idea at the time. Yeah, I should've pulled up my bootstraps and cleaned the dang house! Ha ha. So I was prescribed prescription iron like many women. But it only helped with the breathing trouble.

And cramps are uterine contractions as in labor! For some of us they can be severe, I know.

This runs in the family. My mom said the aunt who raised her in the 1930's had to drink some blood red colored liquid that was prescribed by her doctor and delivered to the house.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 24 October 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#51    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 October 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

underscoring mine

Exactly!

*WARNING* TMI

I hemorrhaged every month the last few years. I had difficulty breathing at that time each month from lack of iron. It can actually cause anemia induced heart failure. I had no idea at the time. Yeah, I should've pulled up my bootstraps and cleaned the dang house! Ha ha. So I was prescribed prescription iron like many women. But it only helped with the breathing trouble.

And cramps are uterine contractions as in labor! For some of us they can be severe, I know.

This runs in the family. My mom said the aunt who raised her in the 1930's had to drink some blood red colored liquid that was prescribed by her doctor and delivered to the house.

I worked with a girl called Audrey .. She had it rough.. At times she would pass out with her monthly..  I saw them carry her out of the female toilets at work.. and she was so pale...  She said that it makes her pass out at  times and she winded up going back to her doctor for more treatment ..

My old friend Anne  used to be similar..  She never left the house with her monthly cramps..  I could tell easy.. he face was as white as a sheet and she looked so drained..  She used to throw up with hers..  I sometimes felt sick with mine  back then too

I used to get woken in the middle of then ight with heavy cramps that felt as if something was pulling on my muscles ....   I would make a hot cup of tea..take a few strong pain killers and went out for a smoke to calm myself... After some time I would feel drained and sleep...I used to keep a small beanie bag that you can place in a microwave  .. it was good for the cramps..  I also did more exercise . it seemed to help at times.. then it would hurt more for the rest

I now  do not go through that any more.. not since I had young Aaron.. It has gotten much better and a lot easier......... The doctors were right.. the more kids you have, the easier it is for many women

If you think about women in Africa  .. Many of them have babies more often.. so I guess  it could be a lot easier for them  due to the pregnancies ...

My mom said the aunt who raised her in the 1930's had to drink some blood red colored liquid that was prescribed by her doctor and delivered to the house.   

I wonder what that was ?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 October 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#52    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 23 October 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

I am so in love.. this man is full of.........wisdom :wub:

Please feed more of your great knowledge and facts...  Move to men.. what are they like ?  ( Please god  let him say they are all like him  )

I could give you all the attention you crave  morning , noon and night... you are just so  amazing...  Why cant all guys be like you?

I clicked like again...lol  and I will start the - Mr Right Wing is fan dabby dosey club..  

He's great  isn't he?  He wants the attention and I am going to give it to him..   I so wish I had his picture

Man this thing I am going through  will last a few days...it's brilliant

Wow,he's so astute .Women aren't like men . Men never lie cheat steal or sell all your jewelry at the pawn shop to buy a gun .
Oh boy ! I never knew all of this either. He's so cool ,maybe he can give us some of his spit,so we can clone one for all of us .

Miss me?

#53    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 October 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

Dreading HRT hormone replacement therapy?

I meant the condition many women into the 50's face... I saw my mother go through it and it was not pretty..

#54    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 October 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Wow,he's so astute .Women aren't like men . Men never lie cheat steal or sell all your jewelry at the pawn shop to buy a gun .
Oh boy ! I never knew all of this either. He's so cool ,maybe he can give us some of his spit,so we can clone one for all of us .

I know... Men never get cranky or fight...    I swear  his face should be on money  lol

#55    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

As I said,I never got PMS. A few of my ambulance partners had wives that did. One of my partner's said if I got it like his wife did,he would have had to quit his job ,because she was such a b**** ,3 out of 4 weeks.
So one day I'm working with this guy everyone felt was a creep.
So we had one ems radio .Which means whom ever had it ,can hear the radio chatter,and speak to the dispatcher .

So its early in the morning,and he says he wants to stop for breakfast.
When we did this,we ALWAYS got food to go ,as you never know when a call will come over,and you have to rush off.

Also ,you can ask for a 10-100 .That's a food or bathroom break . The dispatcher tries to give you 15 uninterrupted minutes .You should only ask for one per shift,unless its an emergency .
Then you ask for an emergency 10-100.

So I'm sitting in the ambulance,and he takes the ems radio ,and goes into a diner .
I'm waiting for him to come out ,nuthin. 10 min go by ,and I finally go in to see what's holding him up.

He was sitting in booth ,with a full breakfast ifo him,lounging with the newspaper .
I said Wtf.We had just gotten on duty .Who does this ? No GOOD medic I know.
So he says,I asked for an emergency 10-100 .
O_O
He just got into the bus,and he needs an emergency .
Guess what he said ,over the ems radio ,so everyone ,on every other unit could hear it ...ready ?
" central ,we need an emergency 10-100:because my partner has period cramps".
I didnt hear this of course ,because he took the radio,and did it inside the diner.
Every unit we bumped into ribbed me .
I was furious.
I never called in sick ,or gave that as an excuse,EVER ,but this ******* does it for me ,so HE CAN EAT BREAKFAST !
And since he used a 10-100,ten minutes into our shift ,I couldnt get one for my lunch,5 hours later.
He was an utter scum bucket . So yah ,men aren't like women . *rolls eyes*

Miss me?

#56    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

I meant the condition many women into the 50's face... I saw my mother go through it and it was not pretty..

I wouldn't do HRT .I would look into herbs first. HRT can have not so nice side affects. Just my two cents .

Miss me?

#57    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,578 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Oh god, absolutely. With the (carnal) knowledge I have gained of the opposite sex, I have seen first hand just how much variation there is. I've had girlfriends that have almost no symptoms what so ever before/during menstruation. I've been with other girls who express discomfort and a for a few, it's the end of the world. I can't even say anything without getting yelled at, then cried on, then possibly yelled at again.

Of course this is not to say that I fully understand nor can fully appreciate what it is like for a woman whilst she menstruates.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 24 October 2012 - 01:24 AM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#58    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:11 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 October 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

Rates of pregnancy vary wildly, but it is highest in poverty stricken catholic nations.
Breast feeding lasts considerably longer. It's actually not as beneficial for the child to nurse less than about a year and a half to 2 years. The upper limit seems to be around 7 years for benefits.
Check out Katherine Dettwyler has a good essay on it, if you're interested. http://www.llli.org/ba/aug94.html

I read the article from the La Leche League which has a breastfeeding agenda (not that there is anything wrong with that I'm all for breastfeeding) but who would obviously quote scientists who favor their agenda.

"and the general public should be made aware that somewhere between three and seven years may be a reasonable and appropriate age of weaning for humans, however uncommon it may be in the United States to nurse an infant through toddlerhood and beyond."

Underscoring mine

Interesting conclusion, but I wonder what benefits would exist if any (weaning at say 5 yrs old), and what negative effects on a child. Sounds crazy to my Western industrialized (school at age 3, mom working) thinking mind.

I wonder if cultures who breastfeed for longer periods use it as a form of birth control. Though it is not always effective as one. Plus, it is the cheapest beverage around-- free.

#59    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 24 October 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

Oh god, absolutely. With the (carnal) knowledge I have gained of the opposite sex, I have seen first hand just how much variation there is. I've had girlfriends that have almost no symptoms what so ever before/during menstruation. I've been with other girls who express discomfort and a for a few, it's the end of the world. I can't even say anything without getting yelled at, then cried on, then possibly yelled at again.

Of course this is not to say that I fully understand nor can fully appreciate what it is like for a woman whilst she menstruates.

Have you ever had so much pain that it made you feel  on edge and snappy?    Like a mad toothache?  Broken limb ?    Where you were not yourself ?

#60    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

If PMS is a myth... then being a smartass gives me telekinesis a few days out of every month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users