Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Is PMS a Myth?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#61    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Have you ever had so much pain that it made you feel  on edge and snappy?    Like a mad toothache?  Broken limb ?    Where you were not yourself ?

Don't sweat it beckys mum . God gets even with men later on,when their prostates swell up to the size of a small watermelon ,and all they can do is dribble and wet the bed every 15 minutes .
~_^

Miss me?

#62    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 October 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Don't sweat it beckys mum . God gets even with men later on,when their prostates swell up to the size of a small watermelon ,and all they can do is dribble and wet the bed every 15 minutes .
~_^

That would be awful..   I pity men who suffer from  prostate cancer.. it is deadly for them and very painful...I would not wish that on any man

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 October 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#63    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

That would be awful..   I pity men who suffer from  prostate cancer.. it is deadly for them and very painful...I would not wish that on any man

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Oh I didn't mean cancer at all . Prostate swelling occurs in most men as they age ,as part of *their* hormonal process.
It's annoying ,makes sex near impossible ,and quite annoying when they leak and have to pee all the time.
I absolutely believe its gods payback for any man who mocks women who have PMS .

http://www.healingwi...edprostate.html

Miss me?

#64    Amy the Mighty

Amy the Mighty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

It looks to me as if some of the posts are conflating PMS (which happens before your period), with the generally sh***y experience of actually having your period. If someone's having time off from work with their period, it's probably because they have a really hard time with their period, not because they're feeling a little more emotional and short-tempered than usual.

Some women have problems with endometriosis, polycystic ovaries and excruciating cramping, which is dismissed innocuously as "period pain." I used to have "period pain" that left me doubled over, with cramping from my abdomen to my knees, and super fun vomiting and diarrhoea because all of those uterus muscles are really close to the stomach and intestines. I would scream myself into exhaustion. It would only happen for two days, but they were two days a month that I was unfit for work. It wasn't because I was feeling emotional and snappy. After about 10 years of dismissal by various doctors, a gynaecologist noticed on one of my many uterine ultrasounds, that I had cysts, and prescribed me the glorious Contraceptive Pill, so that I wouldn't ovulate (pop out eggs from my ovaries) anymore. My ovaries are pretty much shredded, but I can now attend work every day of the week!

Before I went on the Pill, I would notice that I was a bit more teary before my period started, and my concentration would be less awesome than usual. I don't identify as a "b*****," and I don't recall any behavioural swing into that territory. I don't buy the argument that PMS excuses bad behaviour, but nor do I agree that the changes a self-aware individual notices in themselves are purely imagined. When you're bursting with hormones, you feel different. I just wish they were more like oxytocin and less like prostaglandin.

View PostMr Right Wing, on 23 October 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Women are not like men.

If you go and work in an office full of women you'll discover gossiping, lying, back stabbing, bad mouthing, spreading rumours, obnoxious behaviour, aggression and all kinds of cheap manipulation tricks being used.

I have worked in a female-dominated industry, and on the whole, the women I have encountered are courteous, respectful and supportive. And so are the men. Perhaps the women that you encounter, are more indicative of the role you play, and the company you keep.

#65    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,546 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

PMS is not a myth.  

Full stop.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#66    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,090 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

I've also heard of talk about there being a male PMS syndrome.

My, unconfirmed, readings indicated that this is not as common as in women, yet seems to involve hormone dysfunction.

I pressume that the differences in the male/female anatomy within the genital/gastrointestinal systems and the adverse effects of hormones might account for a more expressive pain and discomfort in certain women.

However, this entire issue is difficult, because many people(especially mid-age) are on some type of antidepressant, anxiety medications, alcohol abuse, etc... Not saying it's related, but it is being studied as a complex adverse reaction involving psychoactive substances and hormone dysfunction interactions.

Again, it is suggested that these issues also happen in males, but in a different way.

I have NO athoritative links to offer on these studies. Could be just bunk, I suppose.

#67    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

View Postpallidin, on 24 October 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I've also heard of talk about there being a male PMS syndrome.

I so hope there is male PMS..( something like it )  so that when the men get cranky, fight, complain and get so easily offended and so on.. Well at least they can quit blaming the women for it and say  - Hey look we got ourselves a syndrome too..lol

#68    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 October 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Oh I didn't mean cancer at all . Prostate swelling occurs in most men as they age ,as part of *their* hormonal process.
It's annoying ,makes sex near impossible ,and quite annoying when they leak and have to pee all the time.
I absolutely believe its gods payback for any man who mocks women who have PMS .

http://www.healingwi...edprostate.html

Sorry.....I read swelling and peeing the bed every so often and I automatically thought of prostate cancer, for those are a couple of  the symptoms  ..  

I wouldn't go as far as what you note as payback..  I would rather see those who mock  it  .. give them a few months of it, and hits them hard.. Cramps, hot flushes, over emotional, cranky.nausea, fainting / passing out, more cramps, fatigue etc... To linger for a while and then see how they like it ... Wait a few months, then say.. so  hows it going?  nice? :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 October 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#69    Erowin

Erowin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

There is a hormone change, which can bring about slight mood changes, but nothing as serious as people make out the dreaded 'PMS' to be. Most girls will be a bit more irritable since they feel like a knife is in their uterus, or feel bloated and just not exactly in the happiest mood. If you had the flu and felt like throwing up all the time, or had a horrible pain in your foot, you also wouldn't be the most pleasant.

I've never had rapid mood changes on my period, but I have gotten a bit more emotional. I'm pretty sure its the hormone change- you cry a lot easier. Not that women on periods are sobbing messes, but sad things that usually wouldn't bother us make us cry easier.

Basically, I'm tried of people saying 'haha must be PMSing', like women are volatile monsters for a few days out of the month. Some are in pain and in no mood to be insanely cheerful, but we aren't crazy once a month.

#70    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

For my ex it was called Post Marriage Syndrome - all nice, sweet and considerate pre marriage - The wicked witch of the North as soon as I said "I Do"...

#71    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 October 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

I read the article from the La Leche League which has a breastfeeding agenda (not that there is anything wrong with that I'm all for breastfeeding) but who would obviously quote scientists who favor their agenda.

"and the general public should be made aware that somewhere between three and seven years may be a reasonable and appropriate age of weaning for humans, however uncommon it may be in the United States to nurse an infant through toddlerhood and beyond."

Underscoring mine

Interesting conclusion, but I wonder what benefits would exist if any (weaning at say 5 yrs old), and what negative effects on a child. Sounds crazy to my Western industrialized (school at age 3, mom working) thinking mind.

I wonder if cultures who breastfeed for longer periods use it as a form of birth control. Though it is not always effective as one. Plus, it is the cheapest beverage around-- free.

Oh it is absoultuely a form of birth control. I know the link was a little one sided, but there are loads of anthropological studies about breastfeeding well into adolescent years. There are cultures where it is common practice. In western society we have the horribly puritanical views of sex and bodily functions.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#72    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Have you ever had so much pain that it made you feel  on edge and snappy? Like a mad toothache?  Broken limb ? Where you were not yourself ?

Oh yeah. I had a cracked molar. So much pain. I couldn't do anything. Couldn't even talk to say how bad the pain was.

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

#73    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 24 October 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

Oh yeah. I had a cracked molar. So much pain. I couldn't do anything. Couldn't even talk to say how bad the pain was.

It is horrible... I remember a few years ago, I was pregnant and I badly needed my back tooth seen to, it was hurting really bad...  I went to the out of hours dentist...  He saw I was pregnant  and therefore nothing for the pain...I had to sit on that chair while he drilled and scrapped the crap out of it..  I didn't make a noise .. I had water coming from my eyes...  

When I got off the chair, Gary paid the bill..  I was walking up the corridor.. and I swear to you, the pain from having all of that done  ( drilling and scraping away at the tooth )  with nothing to numb it..was nothing I have never felt before...  .....It was so bad, that  when Gary spoke and tried to touch my shoulder, he told me I took a swing for him.. .I had no idea what I was doing it was complete hell... I nearly passed out with the pain.  I felt as if one side of my jaw was caving in.....I was swearing like a trooper too...

When it calmed down...I sat apologising...but Gary told me it was understandable considering the pain I was going through...   I don't know why I acted like that.. I don't get it either ... I have given birth a few times and not acted anything as bad as that..

#74    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 7,762 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

It is horrible... I remember a few years ago, I was pregnant and I badly needed my back tooth seen to, it was hurting really bad...  I went to the out of hours dentist...  He saw I was pregnant  and therefore nothing for the pain...I had to sit on that chair while he drilled and scrapped the crap out of it..  I didn't make a noise .. I had water coming from my eyes...  

When I got off the chair, Gary paid the bill..  I was walking up the corridor.. and I swear to you, the pain from having all of that done  ( drilling and scraping away at the tooth )  with nothing to numb it..was nothing I have never felt before...  .....It was so bad, that  when Gary spoke and tried to touch my shoulder, he told me I took a swing for him.. .I had no idea what I was doing it was complete hell... I nearly passed out with the pain.  I felt as if one side of my jaw was caving in.....I was swearing like a trooper too...

When it calmed down...I sat apologising...but Gary told me it was understandable considering the pain I was going through...   I don't know why I acted like that.. I don't get it either ... I have given birth a few times and not acted anything as bad as that..

I've read that tooth pain can be comparable, if not worse sometimes due to exposes nerves, than childbirth.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 24 October 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#75    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

My teeth actually have an extra set of nerves that the dentist never seems to be able to hit with the hypo...

Just one of the weird things about me...

I always dread going to the dentist...

Edited by Taun, 24 October 2012 - 08:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users