Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rare Star Explosion Reveals Hidden Black Hole

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,120 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Astronomers have spotted a rare X-ray star explosion near the center of our Milky Way Galaxy, revealing a previously unknown black hole munching on gas from a neighboring sun-like star.
NASA's Swift satellite made the cosmic find last month when it detected a new and rapidly brightening X-ray source a few degrees from the galactic center of the Milky Way. Astronomers identified the outburst as a short-lived bright X-ray nova, which is produced when a stream of gas rushes toward either a neutron star or a black hole. Unlike a supernova, which is the explosive death of a star, novas are smaller explosions that do not completely destroy a star.

The black hole is thought to be 20,000 to 30,000 light-years away in the galaxy's inner region. Astronomers, who named the bright X-ray nova Swift J1745-26 after its coordinates in space, said witnessing such an event is rare.

Full story

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Interesting story, thanks for posting.  Just wait until our sun explodes, hope I'm not around.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostHilander, on 23 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Just wait until our sun explodes, hope I'm not around.
Our sun won't explode, it's far too small to become a supernova.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 23 October 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Our sun won't explode, it's far too small to become a supernova.
The expansion of the sun will be no better for Earth than if it exploded.
...Since black holes are virtually invisible, I was very afraid when young, that we were headed straight towards one and didn't know it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users