Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Classical Music

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,433 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

What is your favourite classical piece? I love classical music, but I'm horrible with titles. Always have been. With any kind of music. To this day my friend (who knows good and well how horrible I am at knowing who sings what) will ask me what song is on the radio when we're riding around town. Anyway, I am hoping that something someone shares will be something I've heard before and liked or will be something new for me to enjoy. So please give the title and composer. :)

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Ive always liked moonlight sonata
https://www.youtube....e&v=7Qqib2eDweE
such a relaxing song but slightly dark as well.

Edited by Armchair Educated, 23 October 2012 - 03:08 PM.

`And be true to every promise - for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made.
al-isra 17:34

#3    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

I've heard this since my parents first brought me home at 2 days old.
I'm 49 now and have always loved it, I could listen to the whole thing everyday if I had time.

Tchaikovsky "Nutcracker"
Have a listen!

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#4    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,455 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

also like this one, makes me imagine hard times in russia lol,  only the beggining tho.
https://www.youtube....h?v=3X9LvC9WkkQ

`And be true to every promise - for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made.
al-isra 17:34

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 4,569 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Like you I'm horrible on names...

But I like almost all of Beethoven's work, the Brandenburg Concertos (Bach?); Tchaichovsky's 1812 Overture and the Nutcracker Suite; "O Fortuna" by Carl Orff (though the words are actually from a middle ages poem); SOme (not all) Of Richard Wagners - like Tristan and Isolde, The Valkyrie (in fact most of the music for the Ring cycle of Operas); Brahms Lullabye....  and some others which have escaped my mind right now...

#6    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,673 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Moonlight Sonata has been my favourite since I was 11.  I used to play it really well, I'm still working on getting back to it now.

Air On The G String (J.S Bach)

Claire de Lune (Claude Debussy)

edit I had videos but they didn't work and I've got to run out...grr

Edited by sarah_444, 23 October 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

In the hall of the mountain king-Greig
Beethoven's 5th
Fur Elise-Beethoven
4 seasons-Vivaldi

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,433 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks guys! I recognise the names of most of what has been listed. Videos aren't necessary, sarah, titles and composers will do fine. Keep 'em coming!

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#9    Aim4TheHead

Aim4TheHead

Government Agent

• 3,735 posts

• This tragedy is all my fault.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

#10    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,114 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

I suppose this would be my favorite, "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" by Claude Debussy.  I used to listen to this as a kid at night in my bedroom looking out of the window at clouds drifting past the moon. It's so ethereal and mysterious, and peaceful and happy, too.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 24 October 2012 - 02:40 AM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#11    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,673 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

Check out the Nocturnes by Chopin. There are 21 of them, but they are great. Very melancholic. I've got Reverie by Debussy playing now, which is another good one. (I tend to like the piano solos mostly when listening to classical)

#12    Insanity

Insanity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

Beethoven's 9th Symphony
Tachaikovsky's Slavonic March o.p. 31
Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King
Haydn's Symphony No. 94, The Surprise
Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#13    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,114 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Here's another one of my favorites. Schumann - Traumerei - Memories of childhood, played by my favorite pianist, Vladimir Horowitz.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 26 October 2012 - 04:56 AM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#14    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,673 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 26 October 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

Here's another one of my favorites. Schumann - Traumerei - Memories of childhood, played by my favorite pianist, Vladimir Horowitz.

That was really nice, SMK. Thanks for sharing, I just saved it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users