Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Evolution of Musical Instruments Explored

musical instruments neville fletcher

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,874 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

No one knows where music came from, or who Elvis' singing predecessors were, or even when the first instruments were invented, but Neville Fletcher, a retired scientist at the Australian National University in Canberra who has made a hobby of studying the physics of instruments, thinks the key to the invention of instruments is the materials available in each civilization. The people used what they had.

http://www.livescien...nstruments.html

Posted Image

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

is that why are music is so electronic, i guess we shall witness the death of the instrument, R.I.P

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel

Is he hiding nuts or just plain nuts?

• 1,001 posts

• "I have no idea."
    Nex prius vestis!
    I am terminally curious.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

[silly] No. nonono. God made the guitar as it is, there is no proof of evolution in musical instruments. [/silly]

A very enjoyable read, music grows, changes and so our need for tools to grow with it.

Posted Image   I support the majestic Pacific Northwest tree Octopus.

#4    Majikwayz

Majikwayz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think drums are as old as we are, i drum on things subconciously/naturally, horns were most likely stumbled upon and probably used for many things including music, I think strings were discovered by people being very creative......then....electricity comes along making more evolutionary possibilities.

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,315 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

I agree that drums were probably the first, and I would say flutes and whistles were second - using hollowed out bone - probably discovered while sucking the marrow out...

#6    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,858 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Nice article, Still Waters. Thanks for posting it!

#7    Hippycrite

Hippycrite

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

• even the President of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked-Bob Dylan

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

I don't know about the battle sounds, but certainly the sounds of everyday chores as chipping stone for tools, pounding and scraping animal skins and plants would provide a rhythm. And the various work surfaces and tools used would affect the tones made during the activity.With some observation, and just a bit of refinement, purposeful tools-instruments-could be made. Add some vocalization-perhaps simply conversation about the activity being performed-and it could be called a song.

#8    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,413 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostRedSquirrel, on 23 October 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

[silly] No. nonono. God made the guitar as it is, there is no proof of evolution in musical instruments. [/silly]

Spot on, they might be evolving now but if there was ever a strong argument for creationism at the beginning this is it...   ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#9    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,605 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Musical instruments evolved from two sources. One being the pleasure of the human ears, the other being to "attract" animals closer for a kill.

#10    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 2,050 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 24 October 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Spot on, they might be evolving now but if there was ever a strong argument for creationism at the beginning this is it...   ;)

Further proof: "His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play stringed instruments and pipes." Genesis 4:20-22 (in context)

Makes you wonder what the stringed instrument he played looked like. Gibson or Fender?

#11    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,208 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

We listen to the beat of  our mother's hearts for months before birth.  I think that instills in us a natural affinity for 'drums'   .  My mom also sang a lot as she went about her daily affairs...   she told me  I kept time to music before i talked or walked.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#12    RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel

Is he hiding nuts or just plain nuts?

• 1,001 posts

• "I have no idea."
    Nex prius vestis!
    I am terminally curious.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostSundew, on 25 October 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Further proof: "His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play stringed instruments and pipes." Genesis 4:20-22 (in context)

Makes you wonder what the stringed instrument he played looked like. Gibson or Fender?

I dunno, but I do know that Martin guitars are built in Nazareth (O.k... Nazareth PA, but still), so I may have to lean that way. ;)

Posted Image   I support the majestic Pacific Northwest tree Octopus.

#13    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,315 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Here is how it was done... Taken from that great historical documentary "Caveman"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users