Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I Don't Believe in Fairies, BUT . . .

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,745 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Many people would be surprised to learn that belief in fairies, elves, dwarfs, and the like has a long and venerable tradition in Europe. Like belief in witchcraft, it is one of the last relics of paganism.

People may also be unaware that, when folklorists were researching fairy traditions in the British Isles during the 19th, and even 20th, century, they found people who not only believed in them, but also claimed to have seen them. Of course, they might have been making it up. Indeed, that is the only view you could take if you have already ruled out the existence of fairies.

So, I don't believe in fairies, but ... there are still a lot of strange things being encountered. Like.....

http://malcolmsanoma...airies-but.html

Posted Image

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

One of my friends swears they're real. She is a high priestess of Wicca ,and she does all kinds of fairy magick .
I don't get it myself ,but I don't think I'm wired that way . I teach her about Santeria etc ,and she teaches me fairy stuffs .
I just dont get it though

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 23 October 2012 - 08:26 PM.

Miss me?

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 23 October 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

One of my friends swears they're real. She is a high priestess of Wicca ,and she does all kinds of fairy magick .
I don't get it myself ,but I don't think I'm wired that way . I teach her about Santeria etc ,and she teaches me fairy stuffs .
I just dont get it though
Have you heard that song by Sublime It goes like : I dont practice santaria , I dont got no crystal ball , but If I had a million dollars Id spend it all

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,960 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

I think there are just about as many European (including UK) bigfoot reports/stories as there are Little People/Fairy reports/stories. I've seen lots of stories of people who have seen what they thought was little people (usually dressed in green) in various European countrysides.

Personally I think it is Mental, much the same as aliens, ghosts or bigfoot....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,866 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

if they did exist, they'd be damn scary and not this Disneyfied Tinkerbell happy clappy.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

Could they be big?

#7    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

View Postbones101proof, on 23 October 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I've  been pondering this question...What is all this crap about fantasy characters and angels?? Have you heard this! 3 out of 4 people now believe in angels. Has everyone lost their minds in this world? Angels, and fairies...What about goblins?? Doesn't anyone believe in goblins anymore? And zombies?

You mean they are related? & If angels are by any chance real, so should goblins & zombies?

OMG I hope you are wrong. :P

#8    Bw1234

Bw1234

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I watched this programme months ago and it was about the beliefs people had in the past. One of the beliefs was that fairies were real and they lived underground. It was also believed that they would take kids away ( I'm not totally sure on that). There was a story as well where a man burnt his wife because she wasn't eating her bread and he thought she was possessed because she wasn't hungry.
Another bizarre belief was that if you seen this mist in the field you would die.

They believed in some crazy stuff in the past, didn't they? :D
Almost as bad as some people today. ;)

#9    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

I had a phase in childhood where I wished and wished for tiny people (Barbie-sized) to play with. No avail.
But during this phase while at the airport with my parents I saw my first little person. She was beautiful with long dark hark and dressed so beautifully and adult with high heels and a fancy purse, yet she was shorter than me. I was entranced by the whole experience.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#10    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,595 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

We exist, so ergo, they most probably do too.

Posted Image

#11    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

I've stated this on other threads, but I'll mention it again: When I was eight years old, my grandfather told me I'm half fairy. Yes, he was Irish (both parents were born in Ireland and brought him to the USA when he was an infant). No, he didn't drink. He was an educated, erudite man not given to flights of fancy.

For that reason, I won't close my mind to the existence of beings for which we have no evidence at present. Including fairies.

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,866 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

I've  been pondering this question...What is all this crap about fantasy characters and angels?? Have you heard this! 3 out of 4 people now believe in angels. Has everyone lost their minds in this world? Angels, and fairies...What about goblins?? Doesn't anyone believe in goblins anymore? And zombies?
well it depends on what you mean by Angels - I believe in the "terrible messengers of the Lord" style Angels, I am Catholic after all, but not this "sitting on a cloud, playing a harp" winged beings.
Like the Fair Folk an Angel isn't the sort of being you'd like to meet, or to have one take an active interest in your life.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
Only I will remain.

#13    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,866 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postlizzieboo, on 23 October 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I've stated this on other threads, but I'll mention it again: When I was eight years old, my grandfather told me I'm half fairy. Yes, he was Irish (both parents were born in Ireland and brought him to the USA when he was an infant). No, he didn't drink. He was an educated, erudite man not given to flights of fancy.

For that reason, I won't close my mind to the existence of beings for which we have no evidence at present. Including fairies.
how can you be half faerie?
Which of your parents was a Sidhe?

Only I will remain.

#14    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 23 October 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

well it depends on what you mean by Angels - I believe in the "terrible messengers of the Lord" style Angels, I am Catholic after all, but not this "sitting on a cloud, playing a harp" winged beings.
Like the Fair Folk an Angel isn't the sort of being you'd like to meet, or to have one take an active interest in your life.

Yea, they are MEAN.

#15    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,974 posts

• Don't speak to me of "peace" while you are sharpening your blades.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Seriously just because a myth has been perpetuated for centuries doesn't make it real or true. It's like the myth of dragons, many cultures have myths on dragons. Of course each culture ends up being influenced by another especially if one culture ends up being an extension or offshoot of the other.

By the way I think dragons are getting seriously short-changed here and its all because they're not cute or adorable. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users