Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I Don't Believe in Fairies, BUT . . .

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

View Postbones101proof, on 23 October 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I've  been pondering this question...What is all this crap about fantasy characters and angels?? Have you heard this! 3 out of 4 people now believe in angels. Has everyone lost their minds in this world? Angels, and fairies...What about goblins?? Doesn't anyone believe in goblins anymore? And zombies?
I've read that, and it is interesting that church (synogogue, temple, mosque) attendence seems to be down worldwide, while belief in the supernatural seems to be on the increase.

View Postlizzieboo, on 23 October 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I've stated this on other threads, but I'll mention it again: When I was eight years old, my grandfather told me I'm half fairy. Yes, he was Irish (both parents were born in Ireland and brought him to the USA when he was an infant). No, he didn't drink. He was an educated, erudite man not given to flights of fancy.

For that reason, I won't close my mind to the existence of beings for which we have no evidence at present. Including fairies.
As Wearer of Hats said that would me one of your parents or... two grandparents (one on each side) were fairy, or Sidhe, the Tuatha Dé Danann, as they are known in Irish myth. Maybe he meant Firbolg, or Fomorian? Those are some of the mythical Irish ancestor races.

Edited by DieChecker, 23 October 2012 - 11:44 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#17    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

View PostMistydawn, on 23 October 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

We exist, so ergo, they most probably do too.

REally?  Thats your only criteria for things existing?

#18    Pulsar_J

Pulsar_J

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

View PostRyu, on 23 October 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

Seriously just because a myth has been perpetuated for centuries doesn't make it real or true. It's like the myth of dragons, many cultures have myths on dragons. Of course each culture ends up being influenced by another especially if one culture ends up being an extension or offshoot of the other.

By the way I think dragons are getting seriously short-changed here and its all because they're not cute or adorable. :(
I think they're cute!

Savvy?

#19    zombeikiller

zombeikiller

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

• 2012 not the end. just the beging of the war aginst demons. "So lock and load! Take as many as you can with you!"

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Any things possible. who knows whats real or whats fake. an elf is like a human. just got pointy ears. and live a little longer.

#20    AshenPhoenix

AshenPhoenix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I don't know much about the 'little people' but I do know that there are many different races of them such as kolbolds, brownies, lepreachans, knomes, fairies ect.  They each have their own ways of life and usually when they interact with humans, we're the ones getting the short end of the stick.  They're tricksters and can be cruel.  They've been known to kidnap children, which is why if parents found a fae ring they'd have their children wear their clothes on backwards to confuse the fae so it couldn't kidnap them.

I believe Irland is also where the legend of the banshee came from... could be wrong about that though.

#21    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,174 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostAshenPhoenix, on 24 October 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

I don't know much about the 'little people' but I do know that there are many different races of them such as kolbolds, brownies, lepreachans, knomes, fairies ect.  They each have their own ways of life and usually when they interact with humans, we're the ones getting the short end of the stick.  They're tricksters and can be cruel.  They've been known to kidnap children, which is why if parents found a fae ring they'd have their children wear their clothes on backwards to confuse the fae so it couldn't kidnap them.
Not sure how wearing clothes backwards would stop a kidnapping.

#22    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Faeries and other fay are said to sneak up on you from behind to play their games on you, wearing the cloths backwards was said to confuse them and thereby cause the wee folk to come at you from the front where you could see them coming. that way you could catch them and get whatever reward was available for said capture ( for example a lepricaun and the pot of gold. )
Almost every culture has the equivialent of faeries & gnomes and other supernatural creatures and dragons in their mythology,... to bad Dragons are not real I would love to ride one. I even went so far as to name my car the little green dragon in honor of all the myths about them.

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 24 October 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#23    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 23 October 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Have you heard that song by Sublime It goes like : I dont practice santaria , I dont got no crystal ball , but If I had a million dollars Id spend it all
Of course . Not a song I like a lot though .

Miss me?

#24    Insignia

Insignia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 23 October 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

We exist, so ergo, they most probably do too.

Are you... Are you serious?

By that logic God is a massive space chicken with tractors for eyes, enormous bowling pins for legs, speaks French and can dance like a mother****er.

We exist, so ergo, GIANT, DANCING, GOD SPACE-CHICKENS DO TOO!!!

Edited by Insignia, 24 October 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#25    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

I hope they look something like this :D

Posted Image

Edited by Ninhursag, 25 October 2012 - 10:54 AM.

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#26    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,756 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostAshenPhoenix, on 24 October 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

I believe Irland is also where the legend of the banshee came from... could be wrong about that though.
(from wiki)
The banshee: from the Irish bean sí [bʲæn ˈʃiː] ("woman of the sídhe" or "woman of the fairy mounds") is a feminine spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld.
In legend, a banshee is a fairy woman who begins to wail if someone is about to die. In Scottish mythology the creature is called the bean sìth or bean-nighe and is seen washing the blood stained clothes or armour of those who are about to die. Alleged sightings of banshees have been reported as recently as 1948.[1] Similar creatures are also found in Welsh,[2] Norse[3][4][5] and American folklore[citation needed], such as aos sí ("tumulus folk").

Back in 1967 (I was 14) we were all sitting down to dinner when my father suddenly went very still and got pale... A few moments later he got up from the table and went to his room...  We were all wondering what had happened and if he was alright when the phone rang...   It was one of his sisters calling to tell him his mother (my grandmother Mary Greene) had just passed away...

To the end of his life dad swore that he had heard a woman crying and moaning - we had heard nothing... So I've got sort of an open mind about some things like this...

Edited by Taun, 25 October 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#27    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,174 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostNinhursag, on 25 October 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

I hope they look something like this :D

Posted Image
Nearly..
Posted Image

#28    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Every time you say that there are no such things as fairies one of them dies.

#29    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Of course . Not a song I like a lot though .
Yeah its not a one I like that much

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 25 October 2012 - 05:32 PM.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#30    AshenPhoenix

AshenPhoenix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostTaun, on 25 October 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

(from wiki)
The banshee: from the Irish bean sí [bʲæn ˈʃiː] ("woman of the sídhe" or "woman of the fairy mounds") is a feminine spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld.
In legend, a banshee is a fairy woman who begins to wail if someone is about to die. In Scottish mythology the creature is called the bean sìth or bean-nighe and is seen washing the blood stained clothes or armour of those who are about to die. Alleged sightings of banshees have been reported as recently as 1948.[1] Similar creatures are also found in Welsh,[2] Norse[3][4][5] and American folklore[citation needed], such as aos sí ("tumulus folk").

Back in 1967 (I was 14) we were all sitting down to dinner when my father suddenly went very still and got pale... A few moments later he got up from the table and went to his room...  We were all wondering what had happened and if he was alright when the phone rang...   It was one of his sisters calling to tell him his mother (my grandmother Mary Greene) had just passed away...

To the end of his life dad swore that he had heard a woman crying and moaning - we had heard nothing... So I've got sort of an open mind about some things like this...
That's interesting, so banshees are a type of fae.  Learn something new every day.  :)

It's interesting that the Scottie banshee has similarities with the Morrigan who I believe is a Celtic goddess of war.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users