Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I Don't Believe in Fairies, BUT . . .

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 4,566 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostAshenPhoenix, on 25 October 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

That's interesting, so banshees are a type of fae.  Learn something new every day.  :)

It's interesting that the Scottie banshee has similarities with the Morrigan who I believe is a Celtic goddess of war.

(again from wiki)
The Morrígan ("phantom queen") or Mórrígan ("great queen"), also written as Morrígu or in the plural as Morrígna, and spelt Morríghan or Mór-ríoghain in Modern Irish, is a figure from Irish mythology who appears to have been considered a goddess, although she is not explicitly referred to as such in the texts.
The Morrígan is a goddess of battle, strife, and sovereignty. She sometimes appears in the form of a crow, flying above the warriors, and in the Ulster cycle she also takes the form of an eel, a wolf and a cow. She is generally considered a war deity comparable with the Germanic Valkyries, although her association with a cow may also suggest a role connected with wealth and the land.
She is often depicted as a trio of goddesses, all sisters,[1][2][3] although membership of the triad varies; the most common combinations are Badb, Macha and Nemain,[4] or Badb, Macha and Anand; Anand is also given as an alternate name for Morrigu.[5] Other accounts name Fea, and others.

I have heard that the trio of goddesses were also collectively called The Babh (the bh at the end is a V sound) Consisting of Morrigu, Macha, and Niambh (pronounced Neeve I believe)... I suppose it depends on the part of Ireland you came from as to the make up of this group...  It is also sometimes put forward that Morrigu was the inspiration for the Arthurian witch Morgan Le Fay...

(editted for spelling)

Edited by Taun, 25 October 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#32    Taun

Taun

• 4,566 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I meant to put in that Niamh is also listed as the daughter of Mannan Mac Lir and Fand(?) and not as a sister to the others in the Morrigna and has a prominent place outside of the Trio... So mythologically speaking she most likely was not considered part of them to the vast majority of people at the time...

#33    AshenPhoenix

AshenPhoenix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostTaun, on 25 October 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

I meant to put in that Niamh is also listed as the daughter of Mannan Mac Lir and Fand(?) and not as a sister to the others in the Morrigna and has a prominent place outside of the Trio... So mythologically speaking she most likely was not considered part of them to the vast majority of people at the time...
Taun, I herebye deem you Keeper of the Wiki Scrolls.

#34    Taun

Taun

• 4,566 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostAshenPhoenix, on 25 October 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

Taun, I herebye deem you Keeper of the Wiki Scrolls.

Irish myths are a hobby of mine, and as I was pressed for time I opted for the old wiki cut 'n paste rather than try to type it all out...

#35    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

There is a song called faires wear boots by black sabbath
But back to topic fairies might be real.any body remember that pic that was taken
Back in the 1930s with the girl and the faires

#36    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 October 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Nearly..
Posted Image

Thank you for ruining fairies for me :cry:

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#37    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,535 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

There's a passage in the Bible that says something to the effect that "there are more things in heaven and earth that  is known"

My belief, the older I get kind of upholds this, in that I've seen and heard things, that are not easily explainable and hence I come to UM to visit with others who might or might not have, seen and or heard of strange phenomenon.

Posted Image

#38    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

• I need to go fishing....Really, Really, REALLY BADLY.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

actually  i believe that is from shakespear  "there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy"   I could be wrong on that however but i am pretty sure it is not from the bible.

#39    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 28,243 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 23 October 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

So, I don't believe in fairies, but ... there are still a lot of strange things being encountered. Like.....

Ahh nice one.

You know you just killed a fairy don't you.

Why would people believe in little tiny humans. That's just silly.......

Posted Image

But I have a good idea as to how the legend might have come about..........

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#40    designer

designer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

• I believe.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

The mighty Tuatha De Danann, stealers of childern. Scary things. There is a good book that looks at the myths and historical accounts of missing people and sightings dealing with fairies, trolls, ogers, dwarves, etc. very interesting. After reading it I believe there is something there, not sure what, but something.
"Caverns, Cauldrons, and Concealed Creatures" by William Michael Mott. the new expanded version is on his website, amazon has the old one.

Carol in NC

Posted Image
EMMA
Give a shelter dog a chance. They'll give you their heart.

#41    designer

designer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

• I believe.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think they would look like this.
Posted Image

Carol in NC

Posted Image
EMMA
Give a shelter dog a chance. They'll give you their heart.

#42    Jeff Albertson

Jeff Albertson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

• We know almost how many stars exist in our milkway but we have no idea of the number of animals living on our planet.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I don't believe in fairs but I do beleive the phoneix myth was started in reality.

We know almost exactly how many stars exist in our milkway but we have no idea of how many species living on our plant.

#43    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 3,438 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Of course fairies exist. Look at my avatar. Those are fairies. We all know that innocent teenage girls couldn't and wouldn't fake photos of fairies so they have to be real.

Apparently fairies are two dimensional.

#44    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 09 December 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

actually  i believe that is from shakespear  "there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy"   I could be wrong on that however but i am pretty sure it is not from the bible.

Hamlet, Act I, Scene 5.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#45    KrowMax

KrowMax

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

• Evil Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hmmm Me Neither i don't believe on faires...

Evil Person Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users