Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Polls: Kerry won debate

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    Naveed

Naveed

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:11 AM

I'll vote for a worm!!  thumbsup.gif Imo the both the Prez. and Kerry did crappy in the debate. We need better choices besides Bush or Kerry. Either way though, I'm still voting for Bush since I've been given no one better to choose from.

#17    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:28 PM

Kerry gains impetus after debate
George W Bush and John Kerry are criss-crossing the US as the newly energised presidential election campaign enters a crucial week.
The two men will hold another debate and the vice-presidential candidates will also meet for a TV contest that is more keenly anticipated than most.

Correspondents say Mr Kerry has been on a high amid a widespread feeling that he won the first debate with Mr Bush.

Opinion polls support that, and indicate Mr Kerry is bouncing back.

A survey published on Monday found that Mr Bush and Mr Kerry were tied with 49% support each among 772 likely voters questioned - a comeback for Mr Kerry who had been eight percentage points behind before last Thursday's nationally televised debate.

Among all registered voters, the USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll had Mr Bush in the lead by two percentage points - giving him 49% and Mr Kerry 47%.
But the survey, which has a margin of error of plus or minus four percentage points, showed Mr Kerry slightly ahead in 17 states seen as crucial in the 2 November election.

The findings echo those of a Newsweek poll published at the weekend that also had Mr Kerry regaining support after the first presidential debate, which was watched by more than 60m Americans.

Correspondents say the results - reversing a slight lead for Mr Bush - suggest some voters have changed their preference after the debate.

Added interest

The BBC's Justin Webb in Washington says Democrats are daring to feel cheerful, for the first time since their convention in July.

He adds that the Democrats are hoping their vice-presidential candidate, John Edwards, will add to their campaign momentum if he can win his debate with Republican counterpart Dick Cheney on Tuesday.

The new closeness of the race adds to the interest in the verbal battle between the running-mates, as does the very different personalities and styles of the two candidates, observers say.
Mr Cheney, 63, is seen as having embraced his role as campaign attack-dog for Mr Bush, while the youthful-looking Mr Edwards, 51, has brought an obvious charm and charisma to the Kerry camp, which had been portrayed as dour.

In the single vice-presidential debate, to be held in Cleveland, Ohio, Mr Cheney is likely to face questions about a weekend report in the New York Times newspaper that senior Bush administration figures knew before the war that the evidence that Saddam Hussein was trying to create a nuclear weapon was doubtful.

'Intimidation' claims

Several swing states are reaching a deadline for registering voters on Monday.

The New York Times reports that there has been a record surge of potential new voters in states such as Pennsylvania, as well as Ohio, Michigan and Florida.

At a campaign stop in Ohio on Sunday, Mr Kerry accused Republicans of creating problems for new voters, in moves that he said echoed alleged disenfranchisement of various groups in the 2000 presidential election narrowly won by Mr Bush.

"We're seeing efforts by the Republicans, unfortunately, in various parts of the country to suppress votes and intimidate people, to do things that bring back memories that are pretty bitter in the American mind from the year 2000," Mr Kerry was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

The Bush-Cheney campaign said the charges of voter suppression "have no basis in reality", AP reported.

"Like so much of his campaign, John Kerry's false charges of voter intimidation are baseless," spokesman Steve Schmidt said.

user posted image

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3712424.stm

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#18    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:59 PM

Doesn't matter who wins the debate, Bush is going to win the presidency.

LOL this is just great.

If bush had looked anything other than the dimwit he clearly is and had done even reasonably well in the debate then you especially would be saying something along the lines.

"GO BUSH 2004

What a great debate, these things are so important to the election".

You know babs think about this.

If bush has trouble responding to questions form a fellow american imagine how he would handle heated conventions, meetings with other LEADERS who oppose his stance on something.

After that its no wonder he wasnt able to convince most of the world leaders on earth to back his cause.

The very essence of politics is in the ability to debate, think on yer feet and make decisive decisions by yourself.

Anyone who watched that bumbling performance must see now that bush is just a puppet or muppet whichever, i dont know what sounds more like him....

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#19    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:11 PM

didn't Bush beat Gore in the debates?

#20    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:15 PM

Dangit, gallup pulled the debate poll off their site.  Was going to look it up because it was up there just yesterday, or last night. They had comparisons over the years, I can't remember if Bush beat Gore, but I do remember thinking from the data the winner of the debate doesn't have a correlation to the winner of the election.

#21    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:19 PM

Oh and about the debate being the essence of politics, I don't want a politician as president, I want a leader.  Politicians make terrible leaders.  It's the head of our executive branch, America's CEO, not the office of the hot air of the people.  I don't want a snake-oil salesman, I want a leader, a President.  Conviction, not politics should be at the forefront.  If you're against my position, fine, we all get to vote, we all hope our side will win, but this swaying in the wind shows a spineless character.

#22    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:22 PM

Cellumnaz that a very naive way to look at it.

All world leaders in democratic societies are there becuas ethey are politicians , not because they are fearless leaders like the dark ages.

The fact is politicians have more nouse than your average patriot.

Much more able to deal with world crisis an the like.

Its of no relevance wether bush beat gore in the debate slast time around , its this election that matter and kerry is his oponent, not to merntion gore was about as dynamic and charismatic as a dying mongoose anyway.

saorsa na h-alba

#23    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:00 PM

not to merntion gore was about as dynamic and charismatic as a dying mongoose anyway.

people seem to be slamming Bush saying he lost because he's an idiot....i was under the impression gore was quite intelligent

#24    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(Celumnaz @ Oct 4 2004, 09:19 AM)
Oh and about the debate being the essence of politics, I don't want a politician as president, I want a leader.  Politicians make terrible leaders.  It's the head of our executive branch, America's CEO, not the office of the hot air of the people.  I don't want a snake-oil salesman, I want a leader, a President.  Conviction, not politics should be at the forefront.  If you're against my position, fine, we all get to vote, we all hope our side will win, but this swaying in the wind shows a spineless character.

View Post

You are soooo right! GO CELUMNAZ! Ha Ha...

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#25    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:09 PM

is that all you ever do babs .

Bathory Gore is very intelligent i never said he wasnt.

saorsa na h-alba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users