Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Petition to make devocalization illegal

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#46    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,109 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

It's legal and it is helpful to neighbors.  Could be worse.
I think you should try to train first.  Then use an anti-barking shock collar.

#47    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,230 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

View PostMyles, on 29 October 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

It's legal...
But that was the major issue regarding the OP... (remember the 'petition' thingy?)

#48    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostPurplos, on 27 October 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

While Aztek's words may sound vicious and angry, I agree with him.

He doesn't seem to be talking about dogs who bark occasionally, but dogs that bark incessantly. That means all the time.

People don't seem to have much empathy for other people here. It's very sad, in my opinion, that people can't put themselves in the shoes of a neighbor who is forced to listen to a dog barking constantly.

What are the options if a dog barks ALL the time? The people train their dog ideally. What if they can't? Two options, they get rid of the dog -- which means it usually gets put in a shelter where it probably won't be adopted, especially if it keeps barking, or they put it down. Or they get surgery.

It's a matter of a lesser of a few evils I think.

I don't think this surgery should be performed. I don't think it's kind to the dog at all. But... if it was between a dog's vocal chords and their life... the choice is obvious.
Yup,get the gang together,and beat the crap out of the *******s complaining about the dog.
Obvious as hell .

Miss me?

#49    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

View PostAmy the Mighty, on 29 October 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

What ever happened to people training and disciplining their animals? You shouldn't have to de-vocalise, or de-claw. I've met people who treat their dogs like over-indulged children, and let their dogs jump on people and knock them over, or mouth their hands. I think some people get dogs with no forward planning about how much work is required to own one. I am waiting for the day that I meet a husky owner that isn't some wispy little bogan who needs a big dog to bolster their fragile self-esteem. It makes me angry to see people being dragged along by big dogs that they haven't trained properly to walk on a lead.

If your dog ends up at the Lost Dogs Home, and it's not sufficiently trained enough to be a safe house pet, it gets euthanised. People must remember that there is always a possibility that they won't be able to care for a pet forever. People die, pets go missing. If you really love your pet, give it the training to enable it to be rehomed.
Unfortunately ,we live in a world ,where animals are disposable . Celebrities like Kim Kardashian and the Vick scum ,make it acceptable to not do the responsible things .
When an animal is no longer cool,or a liability ,poof,its replaced.
My cats ruin my furniture . My best friends dogs bark at the slightest sound of intruders . It cannot always be helped when its their nature .

Some people are victims of idiots who live next door ,who cannot mind their own damn business .
It's a sad state of affairs,if the pet owner does all the right things,but the system gives these other people,the power to anonymously call numerous agencies ,and make false complaints . Agents turn up at the doors of innocent pet owners ,all the time.
It's a very biased against the pet owner,system .  

Miss me?

#50    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,109 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 29 October 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

Unfortunately ,we live in a world ,where animals are disposable . Celebrities like Kim Kardashian and the Vick scum ,make it acceptable to not do the responsible things .
When an animal is no longer cool,or a liability ,poof,its replaced.
My cats ruin my furniture . My best friends dogs bark at the slightest sound of intruders . It cannot always be helped when its their nature .

Some people are victims of idiots who live next door ,who cannot mind their own damn business .
It's a sad state of affairs,if the pet owner does all the right things,but the system gives these other people,the power to anonymously call numerous agencies ,and make false complaints . Agents turn up at the doors of innocent pet owners ,all the time.
It's a very biased against the pet owner,system .  
I agree with all you posted.  
But for sake of arguement, I think the barking dog is the one that is kept outside and barks all the time.   I had one of these next door at one time.  I was so relieved when he got loose and ran away.  I'm not one to call the authorities on a neighbor, and talking to them only slowed it down for a few weeks.

#51    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,943 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm so glad that there are more positive responses than ones like aztek. He makes me sick. Thanks for joining in this fight, guys.

I tell you what. I have a mini-schnauzer that barks a lot. But it's always for a reason and I've learned that as soon as she gets what she's "asking for" she shuts up. Dogs bark for a reason and people with excessive barkers aren't bothered with taking the time to learn about their dog.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#52    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

I will gladly sign.  It's useless to debate with people who just don't get it that animals feel pain as much as humans do.  They just can't express it in a human voice.

#53    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 29 October 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

I will gladly sign.  It's useless to debate with people who just don't get it that animals feel pain as much as humans do.  They just can't express it in a human voice.

You just summed my entire thoughts on this up in three sentences. :yes:

Posted Image

#54    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,109 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Do you eat meat or use dairy products?   Do you wear wool?    Do you swat flies?   What do you do with rodents?

Just curious.

#55    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

I am vegetarian. I do not wear wool or wear things made of leather.    I put bugs in a jar or on a piece of paper and then put them outside at the edge of my lawn.  There are no rodents in my house. And I will not debate, just replying to your questions. This thread is about something else, not me.

#56    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Does this acctually hurt the animal for an extended period of time? Say like shock collars do?

#57    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

What I find somewhat disturbing in the hostility towards Aztek, he didn't start the aggression. His first post was met with well maybe someone should cut your vocal cords, simply because he felt it didn't hurt the animal. Would it not have been better to explain the process or what makes it inhumane? Why not try to prosuede with education rather than threats, it will get you more in the long run.

Now having said that I do not agree with cropping, tail or ear, or devocalazation. However I do not have any issue with de-clawing cats (front only). All my cats have had thier front claws removed, it's just something that has more benefits than cons. I don't let my cats outside EVER so they really have no need for thier front claws. I saw someone mention earlier that if thier cat became a problem clawing stuff they would then became an outside cat. I think that is worse than having cats declawed. You would rather have your cat wander the neighborhood potentially catching and spreading feline luekemia or getting into fights with other cats than put them through a procedure that isn't any worse than being spade (when done right), to me anyone that lets thier cats roam outside is an irresponsible owner.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#58    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Declawing a cat entails removing the entire first joint of their toes.  It's crippling, and that is a lot of pain just for the inconvenience of a cat who might or might not do damage with its claws. Better to trim the claws weekly and provide a nice sisal scratching post or two for the little guy.  Only my humble opinion, but my cats have never scratched or harmed anyone.

#59    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

And that's great that works for you. But for others they may need to have it done or want to have it done for other reasons. I also have only had my cats declawed from vets that do cosmetic declawing. Most of them don't do this so I had to look around but it is the best way to declaw a cat. Once done the cat is back to normal in a week and the paws are are usually painfree within a few days because there is no damage to the actual pad of the claws. But again that is just my opinion of it and your welcome to feel however you want to on the issue thats what makes us america.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#60    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

What is the difference between "regular" and "cosmetic" clawing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users